Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Refused to walk with my GF coz of what she was wearing! Am I wrong? Watch

If your GF wears socks and slippers, would you refuse to walk outside with her?

I did. She went to the local shop on her own wearing socks and slippers, after I told her I'm not going if she's wearing that. It's not illegal to wear that, but it's just not socially acceptable - It's almost like wearing a bra outside a top!

After she went, I just felt like a horrible person. I know she doesn't have to wear what I like, but this wasn't anything like that. I wasn't saying "wear this dress and don't wear the other, coz I don't like it". It was a case of what's socially acceptable and what's (let's face it) practical (coz it was also very hot and sunny!)

Now I don't know how to make her understand and realise that I wasn't being a horrible person there and wasn't controlling what she should wear and what she shouldn't.

What should I do?

Tell her to dress like a human like everyone else does

ReputationRep:
      Do the same in reverse while you're wearing socks and crocs. She'll see your point of view immediately.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      It's nice to see that your love transcends social boundaries.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WannabeJudge)
      Do the same in reverse while you're wearing socks and crocs. She'll see your point of view immediately.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
      I think she'd be more worried to see him wearing crocs at all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I would have just carried her while she was in her socks.

ReputationRep:
      How far was the shop?

ReputationRep:
      If she was wearing pyjamas with it.. Then its fine. Also depends what time it was. Why did you tell her to wear shoes?

ReputationRep:
      Nothing wrong with socks and slippers tbh

Check out TSR Movie Madness

ReputationRep:
      nah you done the right thing

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      If your GF wears socks and slippers, would you refuse to walk outside with her?

I did. She went to the local shop on her own wearing socks and slippers, after I told her I'm not going if she's wearing that. It's not illegal to wear that, but it's just not socially acceptable - It's almost like wearing a bra outside a top!

After she went, I just felt like a horrible person. I know she doesn't have to wear what I like, but this wasn't anything like that. I wasn't saying "wear this dress and don't wear the other, coz I don't like it". It was a case of what's socially acceptable and what's (let's face it) practical (coz it was also very hot and sunny!)

Now I don't know how to make her understand and realise that I wasn't being a horrible person there and wasn't controlling what she should wear and what she shouldn't.

What should I do?
      Some relationships have issues with a partner being unfaithful. Some have cultural and religious issues which pressure individuals to act one way or another, thereby harming the relationship in the process. Some have ailments of a mental nature, disallowing a healthy relationship to form no matter how much they wish it to be.

You, sir, have socks and sandals.

Grow up.

ReputationRep:
      It's only like wearing flip flops when you're not on holiday. You look like a bit of a peasant, but nobody really cares.

ReputationRep:
      Get a grip. Anyone who saw her and judged her for it:
      - Was very bored
      - Will never see her again
      - Would probably care even less about her boyfriend

ReputationRep:
      What is all the hate for crocs about?

ReputationRep:
      What's wrong with socks + sleepers??? Why did you get so disturb with it?

ReputationRep:
      Lol at OP. Is he really being serious.

Reminds me of a day I remember wearing pyjama bottoms to primary school, only found out midway during the day as well ffs.

How can nobody tell me that I'm wearing pyjama bottoms before I go to school.

Anyway nobody cared then.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iammeyouareyou)
      http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads...ughing-GIF.gif

ReputationRep:
      You posted a gif instead of a real answer. Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iammeyouareyou)
      Exactly

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam278)
      Lol at OP. Is he really being serious.

Reminds me of a day I remember wearing pyjama bottoms to primary school, only found out midway during the day as well ffs.

How can nobody tell me that I'm wearing pyjama bottoms before I go to school.

Anyway nobody cared then.
      That story actually made me laugh loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.