Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Abs workouts that are OK on the lower back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to work on my abs as much as possible to hide my flared rib. I only have dumbbells to work with as far as equipment goes.

BUT, I have lower back pain (that is usually fine as long as it's not aggrevated). Rotator cuff impingement syndrome in my left shoulder doesn't exactly help matters much either.

Been looking at: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...cle/abdominals

But a lot of the top rated ones either require a barbell or a train ticket to snap city (bottoms up for example)

Only good ones I can find are planking and dumbbell side bend.

Anyone know of any others that are okay on the back?

EDIT: Oh yeah another question. Is 1 hour workout a day for 5 days a week enough? Or do I need more?

ReputationRep:
    1hr of abs 5 days a week? Waste of time really, your abs don't need that much training and recovery is needed so if you work hard I doubt you'll be recovering from that. For full body 1hr 5 days a week is fine.

I'm also not really sure you can hide a flared rib with ab work. The muscles don't cover your rubs and don't get big anyways. If you mean more to distract then you get a 6 pack by being lean, muscle size isn't really required by the leaner you are the more visible your ribs will be so it might be counter productive. Really getting fat is the best solution to hiding flared ribs

What exercises are good when your back is injured depends on the injury type there's countless ways you can **** up your back. Really your core training should be rehabing your back so you can increasingly do more with aggravating it so the best advise is to see a physio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    1hr of abs 5 days a week? Waste of time really, your abs don't need that much training and recovery is needed so if you work hard I doubt you'll be recovering from that. For full body 1hr 5 days a week is fine.

I'm also not really sure you can hide a flared rib with ab work. The muscles don't cover your rubs and don't get big anyways. If you mean more to distract then you get a 6 pack by being lean, muscle size isn't really required by the leaner you are the more visible your ribs will be so it might be counter productive. Really getting fat is the best solution to hiding flared ribs

What exercises are good when your back is injured depends on the injury type there's countless ways you can **** up your back. Really your core training should be rehabing your back so you can increasingly do more with aggravating it so the best advise is to see a physio.
    I meant 1 hour 5 days a week for the whole body haha. Just abs for that amount of time would be quite something.

You'd be surprised (I was) - this guy here managed it, unfortunately his before pics are gone now but they looked as bad as mine does http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=6221

I might just do that. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Your core is a complex muscle group.

Transverse abdominal muscles, which are the muscles that help to keep your stomach tight.

Deadbugs/Planks hit this area well. I find this the most challenging exercise, when it comes getting to the limit and exceeding and improving.

side planks will hit transverse/ internal obliques well

Now sit ups to the centre and side, should be efficient enough to hit the rest of the superficial muscles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)

I've been doing these for months they're really good if you've got lower back issues - really help strengthen up the deeper core!

There's some variations of it that a physio could give you too but which are a bit hard to describe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.