The Student Room Group

how can I improve on maths?

I always get the worst marks in my exams and yet im in set one. Has anyone who was bad at maths now do better?
I really need some advice on how I should do better on maths because its my weakest subject and gcse is starting...any help, please?
revision pls
Reply 2
Original post by J-ved
I always get the worst marks in my exams and yet im in set one. Has anyone who was bad at maths now do better?
I really need some advice on how I should do better on maths because its my weakest subject and gcse is starting...any help, please?

Buy a 'maths watch' CD, it covers all the topics at each grade level in detail. It has step by step solutions and there's parts where you solve the questions yourself them they go over it etc. For real that **** saved me lol, it's pretty cheap too, shouldn't cost more than a tenner. Or you could get a tutor?
I was the exact same. You could ask your parents to get you a tutor or ask a maths teacher if they do any after school revision, or one to one help.
Well, I guess I'll try to makes some notes in my own notebook on each subject and use maths watch to revise, and do some practice questions. If not, I shall try to get a tutor
Reply 5
Original post by J-ved

It depends on how you naturally learn and remember things. How do you learn/revise for other subjects?

An example is that I learn from my mistakes... So I do as many past papers as I can, marking each one after I finish one. Doing this, you can prevent minor mistakes from happening again and it highlights the areas I need to go over again

Posted from TSR Mobile
i got d's in maths gcse mocks now in a level i get 100s in nearly all my modules. Key is to understand each topic. Think about maths and how it works. After that its just practice practice practice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, I would recommend Khan Academy

You can pause and rewind the videos and then it tests you on them. Just pick out the topics on your GCSE specification.
http://www.hegartymaths.com/ Found this website very useful!
Reply 9
Original post by J-ved

http://www.examsolutions.net

Really good website. :biggrin:
Original post by J-ved
What do you get exactly for your results? And you said GCSE is starting, they don't expect you to be great at the subject now, I don't think you've learnt all of the content yet and haven't found the right revision method too..

Being in set one has to count for something? That you find the work in the lower sets easy? If you find set one hard then you should talk to your teacher about it, may be best to move down one, it'll help i think, it will make you feel better about the subject/enjoy it maybe and if you want challenging, you could always ask the teacher for extension work.

You can try the websites other have posted, mathswatch CD is very good :yep: I use it and it helps me a lot. But there is GCSE content you probably have not covered though.. You could get a study/revision guide/workbook too, talk to your maths teacher, they may recommend you some, even give you one for free/cheaper :smile:
Examsolutions website and practice practice practice.
Reply 12
practice.....practice......practice.............practice.................that is all !
khanacademy, patrickJMT, examsolutions.
MathsWatch , ExamSolutions and Hegarty Maths will become your new deity.
maths at GCSE is the easiest but ppl pretend its hard bcos they shy away from it, to improve just watch vids from this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/neilb860/
Well I got a D- which I find disappointing, and my teahcer did mention that if you never got 30 marks or above this year then you will go down, which I do not mind as long if it's the top 2 set because I find set 2 less pressurizing. And thank you all for your contribution to answering my question! I appreciate it! I will use all the method you have given me and use these to guide me to a better results, god willingly! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by J-ved

When I started GCSE Maths in Year 9, I was on a Grade D - at the end of Year 10 I was on an A (having got an A in the first exam, but then a low B in the second exam). I resat the second exam and got an A* and then on the final exam I got an A* (dropped 4 marks) - an A* overall. I was also in set 1, and there's nothing worse than feeling the worst in the top set, it pressurises you and you feel like you don't belong there - but with consistent practise, you'll find yourself 'moving up the ranks':

Basically, I was in the exact same situation, maybe worse. Regardless, the best thing that you can do is speak to your teacher and get extra help, get the textbook for your exam board and go through more or less every question of the topic that you aren't getting right. You'll find that once you start nailing each topic you'll build up your knowledge and more or less ace the exams eventually - but you do need to put quite a lot of effort in. Being in my position two years ago, I would've never been able to study it a day before and ace the exam, I had to do hours of revision for each unit a month before the exam, but then I found on my last unit that I didn't need to put that much effort in because over the time learning the other content, it built my knowledge up so that I didn't need to put as much effort in if that makes sense. At the end of it all, I was one of few that actually got an A* overall - from lowest ability to one of the highest.

I'm now following this for A Level Maths too, speaking to my teachers about questions, how they could come up in the exam, what steps, example questions and going through the exam textbook. Websites are fantastic as well, as people have already said: exam solutions, hegartymaths, khan academy etc - it's been equally as good as teacher's help. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest