Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you complain about excess baggage charge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was charged 106 pounds for being 3 kilos overweight, which is basically 1/7th of the cost of my plane ticket! I am looking to complain to Cathay and try to get my money back, I wonder if anyone has a similar experience before.

I arrived to the airport around 1 hours 30 minutes before my flight, took me around 15 mins of queuing time to get to the check in desk. I was told that my baggage was 3 kilos overweight and that I will have to pay a fine. 106 pounds (180 USD) is a hefty fine, so I offered to repack my bag. However, the staff told me there was no time and that if I miss my flight I will have to pay around 100 pounds to rebook my flight. Believing that I was going to be late if I repack, I paid the fine.

I went through the security check, and arrived at my gates at 16:20 (my flight was 17:00). They said the gates close at 16:35, but at 16:35 I still see a long queue of people at the gates waiting to get their boarding pass scanned. Boarding was delayed because the plane arrived late from Hong Kong. If I repacked I definitely had time to ditch a few kilos and still made it in time.

You reckon I can get my money back?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Gonna move

ReputationRep:
    You can try, but it's unlikely they'll budge. Airlines usually recommend arriving three hours prior to departure for long-haul flights, because of the plane's capacity and the amount of passengers they have to check in. They'll also say that you should have read their overweight bag policy and avoided the risk accordingly.

I assume you flew from Heathrow T3. The place is gargantuan. 1h 30 is really cutting it fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacklicy)
    So I was charged 106 pounds for being 3 kilos overweight, which is basically 1/7th of the cost of my plane ticket! I am looking to complain to Cathay and try to get my money back, I wonder if anyone has a similar experience before.

I arrived to the airport around 1 hours 30 minutes before my flight, took me around 15 mins of queuing time to get to the check in desk. I was told that my baggage was 3 kilos overweight and that I will have to pay a fine. 106 pounds (180 USD) is a hefty fine, so I offered to repack my bag. However, the staff told me there was no time and that if I miss my flight I will have to pay around 100 pounds to rebook my flight. Believing that I was going to be late if I repack, I paid the fine.

I went through the security check, and arrived at my gates at 16:20 (my flight was 17:00). They said the gates close at 16:35, but at 16:35 I still see a long queue of people at the gates waiting to get their boarding pass scanned. Boarding was delayed because the plane arrived late from Hong Kong. If I repacked I definitely had time to ditch a few kilos and still made it in time.

You reckon I can get my money back?
    Unless they didn't make clear what their baggage allowance was then I'm afraid you are unlikely to have a leg to stand on because its your responsibility to make sure your bag isn't overweight BEFORE you get to the airport.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.