Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this normal? My loan and grant hardly cover my accommodation at university Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a final year student, should receive full loan and grant after being means tested, and I'm getting around £6,194 in total. My accommodation is around £5,500 a year in university halls, and that's one of the cheapest ones.

I just want to know if the money they're paying me is around what everyone else is getting living at uni outside London. I know of people getting more than 8k living at home in London so I don't see how they've worked this out.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to contribute at all but:

including the loan i get 11.5k next year.

i wont be spending a lot of it for uni related stuff.

I will be buying a 2009 2.0 tdi Audi A4.

i live outside of london, and at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthlessv)
    I have nothing to contribute at all but:

including the loan i get 11.5k next year.

i wont be spending a lot of it for uni related stuff.

I will be buying a 2009 2.0 tdi Audi A4.

i live outside of london, and at home.
    Lend us a tenner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    Lend us a tenner?
    sorry mate, diesel is expensive and getting 38 mpg is not too amazing.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford accommodation, the obvious thing would be to choose a uni that's commutable from your hometown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    If you can't afford accommodation, the obvious thing would be to choose a uni that's commutable from your hometown
    Great, I'll just drop out in my final year and start over again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a final year student, should receive full loan and grant after being means tested, and I'm getting around £6,194 in total. My accommodation is around £5,500 a year in university halls, and that's one of the cheapest ones.

I just want to know if the money they're paying me is around what everyone else is getting living at uni outside London. I know of people getting more than 8k living at home in London so I don't see how they've worked this out.
    Well how did you afford first 2 years of Uni?

Why are you staying in halls in third year?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Private renting might be cheaper. You should also be entitled to a bursary from your uni.

ReputationRep:

It's based on household income so it would vary. I got £4700 for the year in my final year. Plus full loan and grant outside london is about £7k plus uni bursary.

ReputationRep:

Honestly you seem to be getting a good amount from student finance, more than some people I know get. The problem I think is with your accommodation :/ it's very expensive though I know this can vary by area, most accommodations and private housing round by my university is between 3 and 4.5 thousand pounds per year.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you're doing pretty well. Yours at least covers your accommodation. For everything else ~£1000 is not loads but you CAN survive on that.

MANY other people are left in a situation where their loan doesn't even cover their accommodation let alone having any left over for luxuries like food.

The entire system does need an overhaul though. Student loans need to be able to cover basic needs, and at present they don't.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's assumed that with a means tested grant those who do not get the full amount are given money by their parents.

ReputationRep:
    you get less money in final year because your suppose work over the summer stupid k know

ReputationRep:
    At least yours covers your accommodation, mine doesn't, I'm moving away from home and going to the same university as a friend and she's getting around £100 less than me and she isn't living away from home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It's based on household income so it would vary. I got £4700 for the year in my final year. Plus full loan and grant outside london is about £7k plus uni bursary.
    How much did you get in the first 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddtown)
    How much did you get in the first 2 years?
    £5000

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same problem, but have slightly more money as I will be living in London. My accommodation is £135 a week, so around £5,500 a year and get a £7,500 but no grant. My parents earn £43,000ish combined so am literally on the border for one! My parents have also told me they will find it very difficult to fund me with any extra money, so I will have to try and just use the money from the loan.

This is my first year of uni so I'm worried how i'll make my money stretch to last the year! I don't think student finance take into consideration that not all parents will give their children money. Oh well looking forward to the joys of being a student with no money
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    you get less money in final year because your suppose work over the summer stupid k know
    It's not actually stupid. Full time students aren't entitled to claim benefits over the summer. (with the exception of student parents) Once your course has finished, you're entitled to benefits.

Your loan for your final year isn't intended to cover you over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It's not actually stupid. Full time students aren't entitled to claim benefits over the summer. (with the exception of student parents) Once your course has finished, you're entitled to benefits.

Your loan for your final year isn't intended to cover you over the summer.
    Its very ****ing stupid
    They dont make it clear in yr 1 and 2
    So you plan yr 3 expecting x amount of money for year academic term and then in january you find out you are £500 short,its a pisstake and massive annoyance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Its very ****ing stupid
    They dont make it clear in yr 1 and 2
    So you plan yr 3 expecting x amount of money for year academic term and then in january you find out you are £500 short,its a pisstake and massive annoyance
    They will however, tell you how much you're getting on your award notice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.