Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys i am a student in 3rd year (4th year since this September) in faculty of english language and literature . I like to continue my final year project from literature but to be honest my university literature lectures are in a conflict and once we selected a literature lecturer as a mentor for the project rest of the literature lectures make sure we didn't enough marks to achieve a class degree. So most literature students ended up with normal degrees and not selected to MA scholarships.

But i really wanted to go for MA and PHD then learn literature but it makes me nerves to chose literature subjects to research project in 4th year. So i am planing to do linguistics or something as a project title . But i want to know will the project i am doing in 4th year will affected to my MA and PHD in literature or not . thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by optimuskck)
    anyone?
    You'll need to be a bit more patient. 20 minutes on a Saturday morning can't really be considered a long wait...

Anyway, I'm not completely sure what it is you're actually asking here. What do you mean by your final year project 'affecting' your MA or PhD?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    You'll need to be a bit more patient. 20 minutes on a Saturday morning can't really be considered a long wait...

Anyway, I'm not completely sure what it is you're actually asking here. What do you mean by your final year project 'affecting' your MA or PhD?:confused:

I am sorry i did not know much about this site. What i meant by "affecting" is when you apply for the MA or PHD .will the selection committee check the final year project as a marking point? for example if i do linguistic topic as my project and i want to do a PHD in literature . not doing my project in literature will affect to my selection for PHD?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by optimuskck)
    I am sorry i did not know much about this site. What i meant by "affecting" is when you apply for the MA or PHD .will the selection committee check the final year project as a marking point? for example if i do linguistic topic as my project and i want to do a PHD in literature . not doing my project in literature will affect to my selection for PHD?
    OK, well in that case there's no clear answer to your question, I'm afraid. Obviously it won't hurt your MA applications if your final year project is in as area that's directly related to the subject of the MA, but if you can demonstrate an interest in the subject through other means you might still be alright. I'm not quite sure why you want to do a linguistics project if you want to do a literature MA, though. I mean you mention clashing lecture-times, but presumably your project would be a research essay anyway, so it shouldn't really matter if you weren't able to attend some of the lectures?
    As for the PhD part of the question, once you reach that stage, the subject of your undergraduate dissertation will have become irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.