Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car insurance when working away from home during the week? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to see if anyone has been through this sort of process and what the outcome was.

I am a student on placement and will be working in my "university city" for that.

I also have a second job (flexible hours, probably 2 weekends a month) back home.

In addition, I intend to go home on some weekends when not working.

So I will have a house at my "holidays" home, and a house at my student city. I would like to think that I am working away from home, as many people do, but I suppose the insurance companies will tell me that the university address is my "main" one as I will in fact be spending the majority of my time parked there after work.

However, I will be moving between houses this year. I am in one for 2 weeks, one for 6 weeks and then one for around 10 months. I would like to avoid having to call up and change my policy as I am sure this will incur a lot of fees.

So, what would you suggest? If it does turn out to be the case that I do have to declare all those properties, how can I minimise the costs?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, it is the law you must obey. You need to tell your insurance your permanent home place, even if you are there for two weeks! Because if you have an accident, they will be cross-examining you. Read the T&C and also give them a call and ask them what the alternative is... You might even get money BACK rather than incur any fees at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.