The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asdfghjyttrfbb
I've heard several people have already got offers from Warwick. What subjects are these offers for, and how long ago did you/they send off their application?

My application got sent off yesterday at 11, by 5:15 on the same day had an offer. I'm applying for French and Linguistics but my friend got an offer for Psychology so I guess it depends on each individual case.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by antigone-
If she makes up for it in her LNAT and with her personal statement then I don't see why not! She has the predictions and great GCSEs so it's a minor setback :smile:

I know somebody applying for Law at Oxford with CCCD (she will be retaking) and Oxford told her she had a chance, so why not?

Basically me^ but BCD and Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Basically me^ but BCD and Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely, AS grades are only massively significant because they are what predictions tend to be based on. Good luck :smile:
Already?! Do they even start looking at them before the deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheFroyoBear
Already?! Do they even start looking at them before the deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's crazy, imagine if the tables were reversed and they were giving out rejections. People would be outraged!

Yes most unis operate on a rolling system where they give out offers as soon as they get applications. The earlier you apply, the better chance you have.
Original post by LoveToArgue
I liked the look of Pembroke too, but Univ is the one a lot of my family members went to I so decided to apply there :smile: what's the IB like? I've heard it's harder than A Levels but obviously I don't know

It's very hard to tell since I don't take A Levels but from what I know from talking to my friends who do take them, we get a lot more in terms of coursework. I guess some people would also say it's hard since we have to take more subjects as well (and you're forced into doing English, Maths, a Science etc).

But if you work consistently it's not too bad. If you're a procrastinator you'll have a big issue with deadlines, I got a lot of my coursework done over the summer so I'm currently not stressing out as much as other people in my year.
Precisely, AS grades are only massively significant because they are what predictions tend to be based on. Good luck :smile:

Thank you! It was more a case of my coursework not being handed in properly, hence the fails. The exams were As though. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! It was more a case of my coursework not being handed in properly, hence the fails. The exams were As though. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that was at the fault of your teacher surely that counts as some kind of extenuating circumstance?

At least you know you have the ability, which should give you confidence for A2. Are you retaking the coursework?
Hi I'm applying for law at Oxford in the next few days, but I'm struggling to choose between St Johns and Keble, can anyone help haha?
If that was at the fault of your teacher surely that counts as some kind of extenuating circumstance?

At least you know you have the ability, which should give you confidence for A2. Are you retaking the coursework?

It was, and a few other personal issues.

Nah, this was for the Scottish curriculum, they're linear so retaking bits and pieces is impossible to do. Hence why I'm doing exam-only A-levels in a year (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) instead. Dreading the 16 exams in the summer however hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was, and a few other personal issues.

Nah, this was for the Scottish curriculum, they're linear so retaking bits and pieces is impossible to do. Hence why I'm doing exam-only A-levels in a year (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) instead. Dreading the 16 exams in the summer however hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god I only have 4 exams this year! (+1 for my retake)

So you have extenuating circumstances? Mention it in your reference!

As long as you have the predictions it doesn't really matter, and tbh BCD are still good. I feel like applicants for Oxbridge always feel like anything below an A is a fail (I do it myself) but really they're good grades! :smile:
Oh god I only have 4 exams this year! (+1 for my retake)

So you have extenuating circumstances? Mention it in your reference!

As long as you have the predictions it doesn't really matter, and tbh BCD are still good. I feel like applicants for Oxbridge always feel like anything below an A is a fail (I do it myself) but really they're good grades! :smile:

Wow!! How do you only have 4 exams?!

Yep, they were outlined in the reference so fingers crossed unis take them into account.

Yeah, I'm predicted A*A*A because I've been getting full marks in exam condition Maths past papers so far. Funnily enough, BCD at Advanced Higher is equivalent to ABC at A-level haha. And thanks!

What are you applying for btw? Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow!! How do you only have 4 exams?!

Yep, they were outlined in the reference so fingers crossed unis take them into account.

Yeah, I'm predicted A*A*A because I've been getting full marks in exam condition Maths past papers so far. Funnily enough, BCD at Advanced Higher is equivalent to ABC at A-level haha. And thanks!

What are you applying for btw? Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year I had 8 - 3 for maths, 2 for politics, 2 for history and 1 for english. This year I have 1 for history, 2 for politics and 1 for english (though I do have 3 pieces of coursework!)

Snap with the A*A*A (although I also have an A* prediction for my EPQ, not that that counts for Oxford)

History & Politics at Magdalen :smile:
Original post by CJaneH
Hi I'm applying for law at Oxford in the next few days, but I'm struggling to choose between St Johns and Keble, can anyone help haha?

St johns is very rich so can support students in a whole variety of ways, but if I was you I would just decide where feels homely and that you feel a part of! Saying that you may look for different things so whatever is most important to you just decide on that basis
Original post by Artfanatic
St johns is very rich so can support students in a whole variety of ways, but if I was you I would just decide where feels homely and that you feel a part of! Saying that you may look for different things so whatever is most important to you just decide on that basis

Yeah I spoke to some of the students at St Johns and they mentioned all the alumni donations and things, but I do like the grandeur of Keble
Sent my application for PPE at Merton two hours ago. I am nervous.
Applying from Germany.
Original post by PlaneovertheSea
Sent my application for PPE at Merton two hours ago. I am nervous.
Applying from Germany.

Good luck! I really liked Merton when I visited - good choice :h:
Good luck! I really liked Merton when I visited - good choice :h:

Thank you!
Where are you applying?

Merton is amazing! (Was kinda torn between Wadham, Johns - mainly because of the grants - and Merton; but I didnt like Wadhman that much adn even tough reputation certainly was a factor it wouldnt help if I just didnt feel comfortable) I was there around easter this year and it was closed (think some formal meeting in hall). So I went to the porters desk to get a prospectus but right then a guy walks out of college, overhears our conversation and offers to show me around - to which the porter says that was ok as I was his "guest". He studied PPE which was great as well (even tough my choice wasnt set in stone). Anyway - the story of how I got into a closed college :biggrin:
Original post by PlaneovertheSea
Thank you!
Where are you applying?

Merton is amazing! (Was kinda torn between Wadham, Johns - mainly because of the grants - and Merton; but I didnt like Wadhman that much adn even tough reputation certainly was a factor it wouldnt help if I just didnt feel comfortable) I was there around easter this year and it was closed (think some formal meeting in hall). So I went to the porters desk to get a prospectus but right then a guy walks out of college, overhears our conversation and offers to show me around - to which the porter says that was ok as I was his "guest". He studied PPE which was great as well (even tough my choice wasnt set in stone). Anyway - the story of how I got into a closed college :biggrin:

Oh wow sounds really nice! I was initially between St Johns, Magdalen and Oriel but decided on Magdalen in the end. Tbh all of the colleges are lovely so I don't mind if I don't get in there :smile:
Any other geographers?

Latest

Trending

Trending