The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SCalver
For an Oxford mathematics interview, does anybody know what content the tutors will be limited too, do they ask questions about mechanics? statistics? or just focus on the Further Pure / Core modules?

Haven't been a math interview, but from what I've heard they don't concentrate on any modules- the goal isn't to test what you know about what you have already been taught, but how you learn new things. In most subjects they deliberately give you materially that you *haven't* seen before. So, no there is no limit!
GCSE grades: 3A* 5A 2B
A-Levels: English (A), History (A), Philosophy (A), French (C)
Course: English
College: Pembroke?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by drriversong
GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
A-Levels- history,eng lit, psychology and politics
Course-Law

If you don't mind me asking what were your AS results and what are your A level predictions?
Thanks x
As far as I know, this is correct, yes. There is a massive spreadsheet detailing this info online (I'm sure someone could link it). It used be mentioned as part of the criteria for contextual flagging. From my scan read, I believe they've since removed it but they could still take it into account (they certainly used to)
Personally I would look at this in a totally different way. If you have a competitive application but your school never sends anybody to Oxbridge, then you have exceeded what anybody from your school has done before.

Kind of like getting straight As when normally students at your school get all Bs.
Yes this is taken into consideration and I seem to Recall there is actually a form to fill out for extenuating circumstances. They assess your successes by looking at the overall standard of your school and how many, if any, students got in in recent Years, considering th region and economic demographic which is intended to give those from a 'less advantaged' background a fairer chance for consideration.
So basically. If your school had a bad rep and didn't do well in the exams for that year and years prior to it , it will work in your favour because you will stand outs quite so exceptional despite a disadvantage in education and also if your region is poor, that will help you further. It all gets considered carefully :smile:
It is of course a genuine factor to consider given that some schools have well established frameworks for 'coaching' Oxbridge candidates whilst others (including my own former school) are ridiculously unversed in regards to the application process. This is not as big a problem as it perhaps used to be given the availability of a multitude of resources on the Oxford website and the external access resources (e.g. Jamie Miles, Simon Clark, Jake Wright, OxVlog, OxTweet, etc.)
Original post by drriversong
Magdalen-what about you? :smile:

Aw, Magdalen is so pretty! Oriel :smile:
Reply 2828
I'm non-EU, and I'll apply to Wadham PPE. I want to inform Oxford about my school as an extenuating circumstance about some of my low AP scores; it has a demanding program which includes both French and Turkish curricula but it doesn't offer AP courses. This situation will also be mentioned in my teacher reference, but I'll also get my school write a letter or an e-mail for a detailed explanation. Who would be the most appropriate addressee? Wadham, Oxford admissions mail(if there is any), Oxford University?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2829
Just applied for History at New College :biggrin:
Original post by charleethompson
I've applied to Oriel!
Have you sent your application off yet?

Ive completed everything but my school seem to be holding my application hostage for some reason :frown: they send them out in batches on Tuesday and Thursday but they haven't sent it off yet :frown:

Have you?
By virtue of no one having got in, your school must not have had particularly impressive results. What this translate to is that if you got good results, they'll seem better than they otherwise would because the quality of your education is assumed to have been lower etc etc.

Essentially, yes, they have access to all this information, and they take it into account when asking people to interview and deciding whether they get a place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2832
Does anyone know what MAT score St John's expects for their Mathematics candidates to have on average? I'm considering applying because SJ is amazing but I want to know how realistic it is.
Original post by ah07
Does anyone know what MAT score St John's expects for their Mathematics candidates to have on average? I'm considering applying because SJ is amazing but I want to know how realistic it is.

I recall one year it was 84 for those who got an offer at SJC, but SJC is the most applied to college for Mathematics
Original post by ylmdk
I'm non-EU, and I'll apply to Wadham PPE. I want to inform Oxford about my school as an extenuating circumstance about some of my low AP scores; it has a demanding program which includes both French and Turkish curricula but it doesn't offer AP courses. This situation will also be mentioned in my teacher reference, but I'll also get my school write a letter or an e-mail for a detailed explanation. Who would be the most appropriate addressee? Wadham, Oxford admissions mail(if there is any), Oxford University?

Wadham's admissions tutor would be the best bet :yes:
Sent my application today! Music at Worcester :biggrin:
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Sent my application today! Music at Worcester :biggrin:

Woosta, muhahah! :colone:

Good luck to you, and to everyone applying round about now! :grouphugs:
Reply 2837
Original post by Eux
I recall one year it was 84 for those who got an offer at SJC, but SJC is the most applied to college for Mathematics

What about Somerville - what's the average MAT score for this college?
Original post by NT226

I dont know, I just remember reading a freedom of information request about the average MAT scores for a few colleges and I remembered St Johns as that was where I was initially applying to
Original post by NT226

Average MAT scores really do vary according to that year's paper and its difficulty. The average marks vary from 66 to just below 80 i think for the successful Oxford applicants. As long as you're scoring a reasonable mark - there's not too much point placing too much emphasis on statistics!

Latest

Trending

Trending