The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lovecathy
me :smile:

Original post by PlaneovertheSea
Me too.
Did the CAE and scored 209/210

Cool, I did ielts since that seemed to be the one unis listed most often.

Original post by CrimsonPetal1
Not yet... I am from India.. Hey I was just wondering if you could advice me for the ELAT preparation. Didn't get any reply or suggestions from anyone else.. :frown:

I would if I could, but I'm applying for PPE :redface: But from what I've gathered (since obvs I've stalked other peoples' admission tests) you have to write an essay comparing two text passages right? There are tons of resources online for structuring essays (five paragraph structure etc.), study those maybe, use some of the past papers on the admissions testing service site (with the time limit), and then give them to your English teacher to correct? That's how I'm practicing for the essay on my admissions test. If you're applying for English I assume you love reading and writing anyway, so just choose the text passages you find most interesting and that can be connected in some way and pick 2-3 themes or points to elaborate on. (But these are just some of my ideas, I don't know.)
Original post by CJaneH
Does anyone know how important the LNAT is for Oxford? Like is there a benchmark that ku have to get?

The LNAT is super important for getting shortlisted for an interview.

According to a recent FOI request, the average score of those getting an interview was 26.68 Multiple Choice / 63.88 Essay and of those getting an offer was 27.78 Multiple Choice / 64.1 Essay. The highest LNAT that I know of directly is 32, but I have heard of a 33.
Reply 2962
Original post by georgiaf
It's a pleasure Same here bc I get so nervous for the interview, it would be such a comfort to know the ELAT was good!! I'm going for Somerville, tho I've never actually been there haha. You?

Idk how I'll react if I get to interview, tbh! I imagine it'd be like the MFL speaking exams 😂 I'm applying to Magdalen, though I've never visited either, or visited Oxford at all lmao 😂 The ELAT's weird though, because I know some people have been interview with lower marks and some not interviewed with higher marks, so I guess we shouldn't stress? 😬
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanieleZ

I would if I could, but I'm applying for PPE :redface: But from what I've gathered (since obvs I've stalked other peoples' admission tests) you have to write an essay comparing two text passages right? There are tons of resources online for structuring essays (five paragraph structure etc.), study those maybe, use some of the past papers on the admissions testing service site (with the time limit), and then give them to your English teacher to correct? That's how I'm practicing for the essay on my admissions test. If you're applying for English I assume you love reading and writing anyway, so just choose the text passages you find most interesting and that can be connected in some way and pick 2-3 themes or points to elaborate on. (But these are just some of my ideas, I don't know.)

Thanks a lot... And btw what score did you get in the IELTS?
Original post by gkallikas
Yeah same here. It's just really frustrating having to wait when I actually sacrificed a lot of free time trying to meet my school's deadlines and they left it till the last week to write it. I guess it's one of those things you have to try not to think too much about it.

I feel exactly the same way. My school kept pressuring us into finishing our personal statements by the end of last month and I'm one of the few who did and yet, even though I hit their deadline, they're pushing my application to later. I try not to think about it either because in the end, I don't have much control over the situation :/ Good luck though!
Thanks a lot... And btw what score did you get in the IELTS?

reading9.0/writing 7.5/listening 9.0/speaking 9.0 for an overall band of 8.5, but I used to live in the u.s.
Original post by DCDude
The LNAT is super important for getting shortlisted for an interview.

According to a recent FOI request, the average score of those getting an interview was 26.68 Multiple Choice / 63.88 Essay and of those getting an offer was 27.78 Multiple Choice / 64.1 Essay. The highest LNAT that I know of directly is 32, but I have heard of a 33.

Okay thanks, I'd best do another test paper haha
reading9.0/writing 7.5/listening 9.0/speaking 9.0 for an overall band of 8.5, but I used to live in the u.s.

Oh...but still the scores are really good.. I hope to get somewhere between 7-7.5 as is the requirement of Oxford... Well I have get accepted first...😁
Original post by bloyce2000
sometimes I enjoy the penis of a horse,
thank you for your time

I am sorry but I couldn't get ur meaning.
I am sorry but I couldn't get ur meaning.

no,mo
Original post by somnacin
Nice! Which college is your first choice?
I picked Brasenose in the end :wink:

Good luck with your application.
Original post by somnacin
Nice! Which college is your first choice?
I picked Brasenose in the end :wink:

And I chose Corpus Christi :smile:
Original post by ¿Why?
Idk how I'll react if I get to interview, tbh! I imagine it'd be like the MFL speaking exams 😂 I'm applying to Magdalen, though I've never visited either, or visited Oxford at all lmao 😂 The ELAT's weird though, because I know some people have been interview with lower marks and some not interviewed with higher marks, so I guess we shouldn't stress? 😬

Haha yeh gosh I don't miss the MFL exams! Magdalen is beautiful, I saw it quickly when I visited. Oh right, I wasn't sure how valued the ELAT was...I guess it's all taken together which is why some get interviews and not others? Just sent off my application today... the waiting game now :eek3: yep defo don't stress :smile:
Reply 2973
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Let me guess, maths, further maths, physics and B in chem?? :wink:

It's actually maths, further maths, computing and B in biology. I did physics last year but only got a C thanks to OCR.

Same! Got 8.5 :smile:
Reply 2975
Original post by georgiaf
Haha yeh gosh I don't miss the MFL exams! Magdalen is beautiful, I saw it quickly when I visited. Oh right, I wasn't sure how valued the ELAT was...I guess it's all taken together which is why some get interviews and not others? Just sent off my application today... the waiting game now :eek3: yep defo don't stress :smile:

What subjects are you taking?:smile: I don't know tbh, I think you're right in saying that it's a mix of all factors. Haha, omg!! Submitted my UCAS yesterday and now just waiting for my English teacher's part of the reference. 😅 Let's both pray for interviews and a nice ELAT 🙏
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Good luck with your application.

Hi Brasenose,

Is it possible to get a virtual tour of the college? I live in Norway, thus have been unable to visit on open days. I would love to get a glimpse of the accommodation! :smile:

Thanks
Hey everyone :smile:
I just submitted my application for Chemistry at Worcester college so fingers crossed!!
Was wondering if anybody knew of any way to start preparing for the interview? Just because I know that like 97% of Chemistry applicants get interviewed.
Thanks and good luck everyone!!
Registered for the TSA yesterday AND CHOSE A COLLEGE :biggrin: Heelllooooo to Woosta :dance:
Weeree
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending