The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Janinns
Has anyone received their acknowledgement from Magdalens yet?

Nope! (I reckon we'll get it today)
You're the only other person I've seen who's applying to Magdalen :smile: What course are you applying to?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by applying2skool
Nope! (I reckon we'll get it today)
You're the only other person I've seen who's applying to Magdalen :smile: What course are you applying to?

Me too...obviously we all love deers. :tongue: And yeah for some reason I KNOW we are going to get our confirmations today.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Anyone get a material science email as a second choice degree to physics?

Every Physics applicant got the email. Unfortunately, I know nothing about materials. :tongue:
Anyone got their acknowledgement from christ church? I still havent (Econ & Management)
Exeter college anyone?
Original post by lovecathy
Seriously? That's weird, I always thought ChCh was way too oversubscribed! It's an amazing college, though :smile:

Yeah! I was pretty surprised too haha :tongue: and yeah it is fantastic. Is it harder to get into ChCh because its so popular? Thats what my teacher said so was wondering if this was true or not.
Reply 3566
Does anybody know if Oxford count Btecs as GCSE's? I got 6a*s and 4a's plus two Btecs which were both distinction* would the disntinction* be counted as an a*?
Someone please help me with this.
I'm an International Applicant(India) and I applied to Oxford(PPE) and put in an open application. I recently got a mail that I was allocated to Regent's Park. Now, In case I get invited for an interview, there would be a very short time period for me to obtain a VISA and the interviews happen at a time that is very crucial for me in my other applications. Regents park wouldn't be my first choice and I would like to be considered by other colleges.
Here are my questions:
1) If I opt for an interview through skype, does that mean I won't have other colleges considering me for Interviews and would probably only get 1 interview(Regents Park)?
2) Does having a skype interview decrease my chances of getting in, overall?
3) If I really want to be interviewed by other colleges as well, should I make the long trip ?
Original post by adibadaya
Someone please help me with this.
I'm an International Applicant(India) and I applied to Oxford(PPE) and put in an open application. I recently got a mail that I was allocated to Regent's Park. Now, In case I get invited for an interview, there would be a very short time period for me to obtain a VISA and the interviews happen at a time that is very crucial for me in my other applications. Regents park wouldn't be my first choice and I would like to be considered by other colleges.
Here are my questions:
1) If I opt for an interview through skype, does that mean I won't have other colleges considering me for Interviews and would probably only get 1 interview(Regents Park)?
2) Does having a skype interview decrease my chances of getting in, overall?
3) If I really want to be interviewed by other colleges as well, should I make the long trip ?

First of all you have to understand what the skype interview is.
For starters you dont get interviewed via skype at your house, instead you will have to go to the british embassy or council and they will put you in a separate room where everything is exposed so they know that no one is feeding you answers.
Now speaking of you wanting to get interviewed by different colleges isnt gonna do anything for you because you dont decide which colleges interview you, so in that matter the email you receive for an interview will include all of the colleges that want to interview you. Then you can have skype interviews for all of those..

About your chances, well listen, its always easier to get to know someone when you are sitting face to face with them. but ofcourse we are talking about a university with massive amounts of experience in these matters, and so I dont think you should worry about that.
Original post by HassanAftab
Exeter college anyone?

Yes, for PPE, you?
Original post by nhabib3
Did any1 get acknowledgement from the college?? I got an offer from a different university already but no acknowledgement from OX

I applied to Brasenose and got acknowledgment, I think some colleges are just slower than others.
Original post by oliverdobbs
Yes, for PPE, you?

Earth sciences
Original post by Pcabezas
Hi, I am a Biochemistry applicant.
I'm afraid that there's not the possibility of doing that. As far as I know, the only joint courses available in Oxford are listed on their website. I have been looking through the Biochemistry page and I haven't see any signs of joint courses.

Joint courses in Biochemistry are not available. You could, should you wish to, do your 4th year project in a bioinformatics setting or something along the lines of molecular dynamics. Here you could learn some coding, but I don't think you would have the opportunity otherwise. Of course there would be nothing holding you back from taking a summer placement in a computer science based area to get some of these skills you might be looking for, but this would be separate to the Biochemistry degree.

In 2nd and 4th year you are able to take additional supplementary subjects which add 0.5% or 1% to your final grade (depending on if you pass or achieve a distinction) but currently none of these are computer science based from what I know. When I took one in second year the options were chemical pharmacology, heterocylic compounds, history and philiosophy of science, quantum mechanics, and maybe a few others. Generally, the supplementary subjects are organised by the chemistry department and biochemists get the option to take some of them if they wish. You could always suggest a computer science module but it would be unlikely to be implemented during your time at Oxford.
Original post by longsightdon
Yeah! I was pretty surprised too haha :tongue: and yeah it is fantastic. Is it harder to get into ChCh because its so popular? Thats what my teacher said so was wondering if this was true or not.

Yeah, definitely! I didn't apply to Christ Church because it had a success rate of 11% for my subject, whereas other colleges had rates of 21% and up. So it's great that you were allocated there!
May I ask what you're applying for?
Original post by lovecathy
Yeah, definitely! I didn't apply to Christ Church because it had a success rate of 11% for my subject, whereas other colleges had rates of 21% and up. So it's great that you were allocated there!
May I ask what you're applying for?

Hi, I applied to CC as well, I'm going for economics and management. What are you applying for?
Original post by emem2011
Yay another medicine applicant :biggrin:
Not very good at all, I'm finding it quite difficult to revise for it as I have no idea what to revise! How about you?
I'm hoping my GCSEs will be good enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm struggling with the Aptitude and Skills section atm but I'm fine with the others so I hope it goes well :biggrin:
Anyway, you can find the test specification in the BMAT website!
Got my acknowledgement email from Balliol today, so nervous now!!
Has everyone gotten their acknowledgement emails? I'm still waiting :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by nhabib3
Has everyone gotten their acknowledgement emails? I'm still waiting :frown: :frown: :frown:

I'm still waiting too..
Original post by OxSarah
I'm still waiting too..

Me too :/

Latest

Trending

Trending