The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charleethompson
Should I expect an email acknowledging they have received my written work (send as a PDF by email)?

Are there any other English/Oriel applicants who've sent off written work yet? :smile:

I'm freaking out as I don't know what to send ! What's your work about and how long is it ?
For ages I'd planned to send my AS coursework as I consider it my best work, but the more I thought about it I realised its been nearly a year since wrote it, and I must have done several re drafts, so wouldn't be 'uncorrected'.
In the end I just handed in a completely normal homework essay, as that way I can say I only had a week to do it, not months, with no help whatsoever, which may look better?
Regardless it was just a totally standard essay I had from the end of my AS year in prep for exams.
What are you thinking of sending?
dOoMsDaY dRaWeTh cLoSeR
has anyone else gone mad bc I think ive gen lost the plot
Original post by JDHOrchard
absolutely Nat

sme bebz
cant wait to die less than a week woo
Hahah :smile: I think I'll do the same!!
For ages I'd planned to send my AS coursework as I consider it my best work, but the more I thought about it I realised its been nearly a year since wrote it, and I must have done several re drafts, so wouldn't be 'uncorrected'.
In the end I just handed in a completely normal homework essay, as that way I can say I only had a week to do it, not months, with no help whatsoever, which may look better?
Regardless it was just a totally standard essay I had from the end of my AS year in prep for exams.
What are you thinking of sending?

I'm in the French school system so the standards aren't the same. I do have essays but they're all under 700-800 words, so I told my teacher and she agreed to let me write an essay just for the application as I'm capable of doing it. I was thinking about using an essay I wrote about Voyage and Return Stories whilst comparing Lord of the Flies and Coral Island and making it more detailled, but I also have that essay I really enjoyed about the Gothic genre and why it is "delightful horror". Same issue though, it's very short. Arghhh :biggrin:
How are you preparing for the ELAT ?
Original post by tamara98
I'm in the French school system so the standards aren't the same. I do have essays but they're all under 700-800 words, so I told my teacher and she agreed to let me write an essay just for the application as I'm capable of doing it. I was thinking about using an essay I wrote about Voyage and Return Stories whilst comparing Lord of the Flies and Coral Island and making it more detailled, but I also have that essay I really enjoyed about the Gothic genre and why it is "delightful horror". Same issue though, it's very short. Arghhh :biggrin:
How are you preparing for the ELAT ?

Mine was titled 'The Creature states 'I was benevolent and good, misery made me fiend.' In light of this comment discuss Shelley's presentation of the Creature in 'Frankenstein.'
If that helps at all ahaha? It was just a general literature essay, around 1500 words?

I've been practicing my practical criticism skills and going through past papers doing so, but have only done one timed and I wasn't at all fast enough so need to work on that.
What about you? I find it really hard to prepare for :frown:
GCSES: 8A*3A
AS:AAAB (uncertificated) A2:A*A*AA (predicted)
Course: philosophy and linguistics
College: University
I am so worried about the TSA and MLAT, anyone know what score you have to get on the TSA to constitute an offer for an interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Mine was titled 'The Creature states 'I was benevolent and good, misery made me fiend.' In light of this comment discuss Shelley's presentation of the Creature in 'Frankenstein.'
If that helps at all ahaha? It was just a general literature essay, around 1500 words?

I've been practicing my practical criticism skills and going through past papers doing so, but have only done one timed and I wasn't at all fast enough so need to work on that.
What about you? I find it really hard to prepare for :frown:

Ohhhh your essay must be so interesting ! Mind if I take a look ? I mentioned Frankenstein in my personal statement and in my essay about "delightful horror" - looooove that novel, read it again last week :biggrin: although in my PS I discussed how studying the British industrialisation helped me understand why Romanticism was a counter-reaction to it, deepening my understanding of Shelley's work (international application trying to justify why she finds English lit interesting, although I applied to read English and French :smile: )

Yeah, studying for the ELAT is a pain.. I'm also nervous because some texts don't speak to me at all, don't know if you understand what I mean. I just read them and think "oh ok", I don't get excited over references or figures of speech :')
Original post by Raina97
GCSES: 8A*3A
AS:AAAB (uncertificated) A2:A*A*AA (predicted)
Course: philosophy and linguistics
College: University
I am so worried about the TSA and MLAT, anyone know what score you have to get on the TSA to constitute an offer for an interview?

I think it's around 60ish. I did one last year in school but it was one of the ones the university sends out to be standardised, and I got 60 and they told me that was around the average for getting an interview. But I guess it probably fluctuates every year and I could be wrong!
I'm sorry to get off topic here but i have a devastating question. I'm an international student, and I just saw the international fees for my course and it adds up to 25,000 for one year + 935£ per month for living costs. I'm from Israel. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? These are mad times around here, mad times. :frown: :frown: :frown: I cant pay this
Reply 3872
Original post by nhabib3
I'm sorry to get off topic here but i have a devastating question. I'm an international student, and I just saw the international fees for my course and it adds up to 25,000 for one year + 935£ per month for living costs. I'm from Israel. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? These are mad times around here, mad times. :frown: :frown: :frown: I cant pay this

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support
Original post by Eux
Seem to remember you haha, you and @The_Lonely_Goatherd were the ones that persuaded me to apply there

Yay! For which subject?
Original post by colourtheory
Yay! For which subject?

Maths... if i get in:colone:
Original post by Lau14
I resat one unit of maths (we did maths a level in one year and then further maths a level in one year, applied for physics) and still got an offer. Particularly with extenuating circumstances I wouldn't say it'll cause a problem.

Wow that is amazing! Thanks :smile: we had basically 3 months to study for A2, and the day of the exam there was power loss through the city (and it was 35° C that day) so I've been told there'll be extenuating exam conditions counted, but I wasn't sure so I asked.

Out of curiosity, how did you do on your PAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theonetruequeen
Wow that is amazing! Thanks :smile: we had basically 3 months to study for A2, and the day of the exam there was power loss through the city (and it was 35° C that day) so I've been told there'll be extenuating exam conditions counted, but I wasn't sure so I asked.

Out of curiosity, how did you do on your PAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that doesn't sound great!

Not all that well, I was one mark above the interview boundary! 56/100 I think
Original post by thehollowcrown
I think it's around 60ish. I did one last year in school but it was one of the ones the university sends out to be standardised, and I got 60 and they told me that was around the average for getting an interview. But I guess it probably fluctuates every year and I could be wrong!

Ah did you apply for Oxford last year, or was it just a paper that you did? Also when you say 60 do you mean the TSA score conversion rather than 60%, right? I generally average around 65 TSA UMS, generally about 39/50 :frown:
I have no idea if it's good enough though.
Original post by colourtheory
yass <3

Yaaay :biggrin: I'm applying there for PPE! What subject are you doing?
Original post by nhabib3

You could email Oxford and ask them if any scholarships/bursaries are available for your country or that you're eligible for. However, I believe the financial aid is for the tuition only so the living costs are still seperate. Oxford is well known for offering financial help and depending on the college some colleges give good book grants as well. You should call or email them to make sure though.

Latest

Trending

Trending