The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
Dull? D: what do you mean by that? I'm a Cambridge applicant, so this concerns me slightly :lol:
I think the main reason I'm not applying to Oxford is because, even though I absolutely adore the city and everything about it, I live there so it's pretty much a no-go zone :lol:

Have you been to Cambridge? I think it's the sort of atmosphere you have to pick up on yourself - some of my friends adore it there! Don't be swayed by my opinion haha
Original post by antigone-
Have you been to Cambridge? I think it's the sort of atmosphere you have to pick up on yourself - some of my friends adore it there! Don't be swayed by my opinion haha

Once, yeah. I didn't like it all that much, but that's mainly because I stayed on one road and it was raining :lol: went to some talk there a while ago xD
Once, yeah. I didn't like it all that much, but that's mainly because I stayed on one road and it was raining :lol: went to some talk there a while ago xD

I guess you still have the open days yet! Is Cambridge better for the course you want to do? (what are you planning on doing if you don't mind me asking, I assume Chemistry? haha) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess you still have the open days yet! Is Cambridge better for the course you want to do? (what are you planning on doing if you don't mind me asking, I assume Chemistry? haha) :smile:

Not really, they're pretty much the same for my course :lol:
I'm applying for medicine xD I know my name can be misleading :tongue:
Not really, they're pretty much the same for my course :lol:
I'm applying for medicine xD I know my name can be misleading :tongue:

Ahh not too far off :colondollar:
Are you pretty much decided on Cambridge then? Some of my friends applying for Medicine prefer it there too, especially after the masterclass they held
Ahh not too far off :colondollar:
Are you pretty much decided on Cambridge then? Some of my friends applying for Medicine prefer it there too, especially after the masterclass they held

I'm actually really undecided xD I'd apply to Oxford in a heartbeat if I didn't live here, but I do so it looks like it may be Cambridge. Cambridge's course is quite good, I like that there's the option for me to do an intercalated degree in the third year (I think). So yeah, pretty much undecided xD
How about you, what are you applying for?
Original post by Edminzodo
Look up SimonOxfPhys on YouTube. :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's hot. :colone:
I'm actually really undecided xD I'd apply to Oxford in a heartbeat if I didn't live here, but I do so it looks like it may be Cambridge. Cambridge's course is quite good, I like that there's the option for me to do an intercalated degree in the third year (I think). So yeah, pretty much undecided xD
How about you, what are you applying for?

History and Politics, which Cambridge doesn't offer so that's pretty much me decided :tongue:
History and Politics, which Cambridge doesn't offer so that's pretty much me decided :tongue:

Haha, that's a easy decision for you then :lol:

Original post by ivybridge
He's hot. :colone:

Brains and brawn :wink:
Haha, that's a easy decision for you then :lol:

Brains and brawn :wink:

Exactly :colone:
Original post by twelfthnight
Thank you! Good luck throughout the process and if you have any more questions do just ask :smile:

Just wondering, what college did you apply for and get an offer for? I don't know which to apply for :s-smilie:
1. If you don't mind saying, what is your real first name?
Anastasia (but I get called 'Sassie' for short).
2. What are your hobbies of the sort that you really can't put on the personal statement?
I like collecting crystals and lucky cats and I really like Neon Genesis Evangelion.
3. Most surreal thing you have ever done?
I was bitten by a lion cub once, I'd say that's pretty surreal.
4. Any particularly eccentric academic interests (not "I love Earth Sciences". Or history, or maths. Things that aren't your subject.)
I'm really really really interested in viral hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, Lassa, Marburg, Dengue - you name it, I love it) and pretty much viral diseases in general
5. Favourite Harry Potter character?
The twins!
6. Best thing to combine with peanut butter?
By itself or on toast!
7. Opinions on Gangnam Style?
Fun! But there's other kpop music that I like (EXO, Block B, ect)
8. Tea or coffee?
Vanilla lattes!
9. Favourite TSR smiley?
:moo:
Original post by Blue16
Yeah, you'd think there'd be more on the thread? Mind you, I'm doubting whether I'll get the grades this year to apply (Higher Maths may have put paid to that...).

How did you feel your exams went?

Hopefully not!

Overall quite well I think although they really varied - one of my History papers was great and one was abysmal, for example. I can't really tell how it's going to go!! Our Philosophy syllabus is brand new as well so no idea how our papers will be marked... Well I'll find out in August I guess! Is results day the same in Scotland? Apart from Maths were your exams good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by twelfthnight
I have an offer for history and I panicked so much about the HAT! All I really did was a couple of past papers and in hindsight there isn't a huge amount to worry about because I found the sources understandable and good to pick information out from. It's like any exam really - go in and stay focused on the questions and try to do your best :smile: good luck! :smile:

Hey there :smile: any words of wisdom for a History hopeful? I know quite a lot about the general process but I don't know anyone who has got an offer for/done History and first hand info is always the best :biggrin: congrats on your offer!! Which college, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What made everybody pick Oxford over Cambridge?

My reasons were:
- My dad lives in Oxford and I've always loved the city
- I've been to Cambridge University 4/5 times and I just don't like it, the area is pretty but very dull and almost dreary
- I want to study History & Politics and Cambridge only does single honours History or HSPS which is just too broad for me
- After visiting the actual University I fell in love haha it's incredible!

:biggrin:

I prefer the sound of the Law course at Oxford than at Cambridge.

I've visited both cities, and I just prefer the feel of Oxford; it's still a gorgeous place, but less rarefied/intimidating than Cambridge
Probably start planning now (or after exams) and have a few drafts completed over summer. By September is when it needs to be done. I've applied for a few summer schools so have a few written already luckily

Awh, i'm too late to apply to one- can i still apply to go to oxford still?
... I like that there's the option for me to do an intercalated degree in the third year (I think).

You have to do an intercalated degree at Cambridge. Same for Oxford - that's why they're 6 year degrees not the normal 5.

All other medical schools also offer intercalation as options, though its sometimes a competitive process.

Cambridge offers a bigger variety of choices for intercalation though.

They're actually going to start offering it in a few years.
I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there? :smile:
Reply 699
I want to do law at Oxford I'm just worried about my AS grades if I get ABBB or AABB would I still be able to apply if I get predicted AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending