The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by antigone-
LSE, Warwick, QMs, King's, Royal Holloway, Essex (need to decide which two out of the last four I should pick)
You?

Again, I need to do more research, but I'm considering Warwick, Nottingham and Exeter or maybe the London ones (so a bit like you!) and then not sure about an insurance choice...
Do you mean you don't think your grades will be great? I'm sure you'll be fine but even so I wouldn't worry, just focus on making a really good PS and trying to prepare for any entrance exams they may want you to do :smile:

Yeah, I panicked in one of my exams and I think it may have reflected on my grade. I hope to get AAAA but I also have a Pre-U and EPQ to do next year and I think realistically I will get AABB . . .
Original post by lucyx
Hey everyone :smile:
I'd love to apply to Oxford for History, but who knows what results day will bring :redface:
GCSEs: 11A*s
AS Levels: History, RS, Latin, French and German (not sure which ones I'll keep for A2)
Tbh, not really sure if Oxford would be for me. I know there's no stereotypical Oxford student, but I'm not at all competitive and perhaps just too nice/immature/naïve for such a competitive university? :colondollar: (if that makes sense...!)

Quite a few of our current students say they had similar views initially but had second thoughts after meeting undergraduates and also seeing other prospective applicants at Open Days. Of course, there may be others who decided not to apply after looking around - at the end of the day, you have to decide what is best for you. The next Open Days are on Wed 1st & Thurs 2nd July

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/open-events-and-visiting/university-open-days

PS your grade profile looks strong.
Original post by Edminzodo
Yeah, I panicked in one of my exams and I think it may have reflected on my grade. I hope to get AAAA but I also have a Pre-U and EPQ to do next year and I think realistically I will get AABB . . .

What course are you planning on doing?
With an EPQ and a Pre-U you'll be fine - I think some Unis allow for lower acceptance grades if you do an EPQ (King's maybe?)
You'll probably do much better than you think!
Reply 824
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Quite a few of our current students say they had similar views initially but had second thoughts after meeting undergraduates and also seeing other prospective applicants at Open Days. Of course, there may be others who decided not to apply after looking around - at the end of the day, you have to decide what is best for you. The next Open Days are on Wed 1st & Thurs 2nd July

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/open-events-and-visiting/university-open-days

PS your grade profile looks strong.

Thank you! I am planning to attend an Open Day - just need to find a willing parent to taxi me there! :biggrin:
Original post by lucyx
Again, I need to do more research, but I'm considering Warwick, Nottingham and Exeter or maybe the London ones (so a bit like you!) and then not sure about an insurance choice...

Depending on which London Unis some have acceptance grades at AAB (King's, QMs for example), which could be a good insurance as the other Unis are AAA right?
I would apply to UCL but they don't do the course I want.. sucks because I like it there too! :frown:
Oxford offered me some PPE lectures the day before the Open Day (which I am going to) but I can't attend the July open day dates.. September for me :smile:
Original post by lucyx
Thank you! I am planning to attend an Open Day - just need to find a willing parent to taxi me there! :biggrin:

The train is so easy!
Reply 828
The train is so easy!

Thank youuu :smile:
What course are you planning on doing?
With an EPQ and a Pre-U you'll be fine - I think some Unis allow for lower acceptance grades if you do an EPQ (King's maybe?)
You'll probably do much better than you think!

Thank you! I'm applying to Liverpool and UCL, and I don't think UCL will accept an EPQ but hopefully Liverpool might.
Original post by lucyx
Thank youuu :smile:

If you live in London you can go straight there from Paddington. It's only an hour or so on the train.
I'm stuck between Queen's and Univ . . . Anyone know much about these colleges?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

These might help you decide:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_choose_an_Oxford_College
But you have time. Wait until open days to decide officially :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Univ currently so can answer any questions you have :smile:

I know a little bit about Queens but not much unfortunately!
I'm going to the open day in July. I really wanted to see my college but it's not taking part in the open day :frown:
Original post by ivybridge
I'm going to the open day in July. I really wanted to see my college but it's not taking part in the open day :frown:

Could you not arrange a college tour for another time?
Anyone else on this VLE thing?
Original post by LoveToArgue
Anyone else on this VLE thing?

No, my friends all got emailed but I didn't! I heard it's just a website to look around colleges or something?
Original post by ivybridge

Which college are you hoping to see?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Which college are you hoping to see?

St Peter's and/or Regents Park College.

Latest

Trending

Trending