The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kjlynch
ngl i'm feeling a bit guilty about the fact that i'm looking forward to this like a social event (and am hoping to fit in a cheeky bit of shopping). should probably focus on the real reason why im in oxford haha

That's brill! Me too, I think the opportunity to dine out and go sightseeing is too good to miss☺️
Original post by theonetruequeen
Haven't heard anything for engineering, and I don't think many have at all. Our interviews are among the last if I'm not mistaken.

college is St Hilda's BTW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was getting worried because I haven't heard anything yet either! Applying to St Catz. engineering science
Original post by maella
Woooo! :smile: Wadham, i've never actually visited it before lol are you nervous? And how are you preparing yourself?

I'm not too nervous, just making sure that I know everything on my personal statement and doing wider reading around my genres of interest! How about you?
Any fellow Engineering Science applicants? I have an interview at University College and got allocated Balliol for a second interview, all on 16th December! How on earth do we prepare?
Funny thing about this is that my BMAT was mediocre at best (6.4 5.2 2.5A), and I didn't have gcse's (EU applicant), so I don't really know why I got called, but I'm certainly not going to complain. XD
Original post by tanyapotter
Any fellow Engineering Science applicants? I have an interview at University College and got allocated Balliol for a second interview, all on 16th December! How on earth do we prepare?

Lol at least you've crossed a huge barrier (ie actually getting the interview invitation). As for preparation, I heard that Cambridge had a reading list for engineering applicants; if you could go through a few books in that perhaps it'll help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, does anyone know why I got an interview at two different colleges on the same day? Does it bear any significance to how strong they think my application is? My first choice college was Univ where I got an interview, but I also have one at Balliol later that day, instead of two at Univ. Is it because Univ is unsure if they'd really want me?
Lol at least you've crossed a huge barrier (ie actually getting the interview invitation). As for preparation, I heard that Cambridge had a reading list for engineering applicants; if you could go through a few books in that perhaps it'll help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm tempted to just kind of wing it. My heart's not in Oxford; not 100% sure why I applied but I'll just have to go with it :redface: (Really hope Imperial give me an offer soon to take the pressure off as it's definitely my first choice)
Haven't heard anything for engineering, and I don't think many have at all. Our interviews are among the last if I'm not mistaken.

college is St Hilda's BTW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A friend of mine got an interview for Christ Church yesterday at midday, so I think they've begun
I got an interview invite for Comp Sci and Philosophy (at Univ) today at 11:36 am. I swear my heart I was so nervous when I went to open it :smile:
Acceptance/rejection emails went out for Balliol maths today- check your emails!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview for medicine at Worcester! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lazylinepainter
Congratulations to everyone who got an interview. I'm going down for History and Politics at Wadham.

It says (I think for all history interviewees) that you must stay until 1600 on the Friday. Is that set in stone or is it just informing you that you may be scheduled for an interview up to four o'clock, and if you've had all your interviews before then you can leave early?

I emailed my college to ask whether booking my train home at 5pm was a good idea, and they said that "We expect that interviews in your subject will have concluded by the afternoon of Friday 11 December so your proposed homeward train journey is very sensible. " Still probably a good idea to email your college just in case
Still waiting on a rejection for biomed at st hildas..... My BMAT was dog **** but i did notify them of extenuating circumstances so i guess it's all down to their sympathy now
I'm tempted to just kind of wing it. My heart's not in Oxford; not 100% sure why I applied but I'll just have to go with it :redface: (Really hope Imperial give me an offer soon to take the pressure off as it's definitely my first choice)

I feel you. Oxford's great but Engineering Science just isn't for me. I don't think I can really deal with two generalised years doing electrical or chemical engineering when I could just be learning how to tackle water pollution in civil engineering at UCL :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, does anyone know why I got an interview at two different colleges on the same day? Does it bear any significance to how strong they think my application is? My first choice college was Univ where I got an interview, but I also have one at Balliol later that day, instead of two at Univ. Is it because Univ is unsure if they'd really want me?

No it's not got anything to do with your strength, I'm pretty sure that you get interviewed at two colleges so that you have a better chance of getting in, not because they don't want you. I know for medicine and EP (I think) everyone gets interviewed at two different colleges
Got an interview for engineering science for St Catz. and Sommerville on the same day? Most other subjects are staying for 3 days - I am a bit confused??
Original post by not you
No it's not got anything to do with your strength, I'm pretty sure that you get interviewed at two colleges so that you have a better chance of getting in, not because they don't want you. I know for medicine and EP (I think) everyone gets interviewed at two different colleges

But I know people at my school with interviews who have two interviews at the same college..? But thank you anyway - that's reassuring!

EDIT: I'm also the only person I know who has both interviews at different colleges on the same day, rather than them being spread out! Maybe that's just how the Engineering Science department works.
(edited 8 years ago)
But I know people at my school with interviews who have two interviews at the same college..? But thank you anyway - that's reassuring!

EDIT: I'm also the only person I know who has both interviews at different colleges on the same day, rather than them being spread out! Maybe that's just how the Engineering Science department works.

Panic not - the timetables for interviews are crazily complex, because Oxford have to try and fit in several thousand interviews in just a couple of weeks. It will literally have nothing to do with your application, I assure you - last year, everyone tried reading into their interview timings/locations (etc.) in agonising detail, only for it to turn out that there was no real pattern to who ended up getting offers in the end, so please don't worry! (But trust me, I know how tempting it can be to analyse every last thing which happens :wink: )

I don't know why they have them at the same college, seems kind of counter-productive if they get interviewed on the same thing by the same people. Maybe they have a general interview and a subject interview? Arts subjects sometimes do those, not too sure about science subjects though.

And yeah I dunno why you have them both on the same day, sounds like too much work to me lol

Latest

Trending

Trending