The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had my Skype interview on Monday. Lasted 24 minutes with no analysis of texts. 8 minutes per prof, and I got absolutely grilled.
Looking back on my answers now they seem elementary and answers that anyone could provide, but I'm really glad to have gotten to at least the interview :biggrin:

EDIT: to provide some more details for other TSR members for reference, I applied for PPE. I don't think I can share the questions that they asked but I can tell you that they are mostly logical questions and that they will ask "weird" stuff just to see how well you think on your feet.

I honestly don't think I got accepted though- the econ prof at the end was kinda forcing a smile at the end and I have a feeling the philosophy prof thought I was retarded.
Was still a great experience though!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9561
what have people worn to the interview?
Original post by Lsdjrl
Does anyone know what time interviews stop for the day. Will there be any more after 4 or 5?

I had one at 4:45-5:15 and then there was another one at least after me so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nhtw

Black jeans, white blouse with a collar, teal jumper and ankle boots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you get an offer from a college that hasn't even interviewed you?
Original post by connieiscrazy
Can you get an offer from a college that hasn't even interviewed you?

Yes, I've heard it happens.
For medicine, anyone know whether Oxford will use our bmat essay in interview? And do they still consider our bmat scores and gcses and personal statement when deciding about offers?
For medicine, anyone know whether Oxford will use our bmat essay in interview? And do they still consider our gcses and bmat scores when deciding about offers?
Reply 9568
I got an interview for PPE at Lincoln, then 3 of us (solid grades candidates) were called back for a further interview at Lincoln with all professors. Then the 3 of us were invited to interviews at different universities the next day.

Does this sound like it was genuine interest from these universities where Lincoln tipped the colleges off that we were quite good or just standardisation which colleges have to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9569
Original post by nhtw

Skirt and tights, long sleeved t-shirt and ankle boots. Not that it matters in terms of getting an offer :smile:
I completely messed up one of my interviews because a stupid mistake and now half of it just looks like I got completely the wrong idea and I'm so annoyed at myself :frown: Anyone who's previously applied, do you know how they mark you on making a silly mistake?
How do you feel your interviews went?
My first interview was pretty flat, but the second and third were really enjoyable - I'm feeling optimistic.
Original post by cakeislife
I completely messed up one of my interviews because a stupid mistake and now half of it just looks like I got completely the wrong idea and I'm so annoyed at myself :frown: Anyone who's previously applied, do you know how they mark you on making a silly mistake?

You don't need to worry about one silly mistake - in my French interview last year, I made the mistake of translating 'pleuvoir' as 'to cry' instead of 'to rain', for example. Interviewees are human, and the tutors know it! It's OK :wink: They're not going to be sitting there putting strike marks against you because of silly mistakes - they want to see how you are as a whole :smile:
Original post by danniegee
You don't need to worry about one silly mistake - in my French interview last year, I made the mistake of translating 'pleuvoir' as 'to cry' instead of 'to rain', for example. Interviewees are human, and the tutors know it! It's OK :wink: They're not going to be sitting there putting strike marks against you because of silly mistakes - they want to see how you are as a whole :smile:

In my French interview I translated a word from my written work wrong, looking like I'd used it without knowing what it meant! I also got some questions wrong when tested on what I'd done in the entrance exam, as I was nervous at the beginning and not thinking straight. The rest of the interview went well. Will they hold this against me?
Original post by Amselss
In my French interview I translated a word from my written work wrong, looking like I'd used it without knowing what it meant! I also got some questions wrong when tested on what I'd done in the entrance exam, as I was nervous at the beginning and not thinking straight. The rest of the interview went well. Will they hold this against me?

No, no, not at all! The first bit it just meant to be trying to get you settled in anyway. Trust me, the tutors are so used to people being nervous and making silly mistakes! :smile:
Original post by danniegee
No, no, not at all! The first bit it just meant to be trying to get you settled in anyway. Trust me, the tutors are so used to people being nervous and making silly mistakes! :smile:

Thank you! That's reassuring:smile: are you studying French at the moment?
My written work wasn't mentioned in any of them, nor was my PS, annoyingly.
Good luck to you too....fingers crossed!
(edited 2 years ago)
I had two interviews at Magdalen for history which I think went fairly well and then got asked to go to another interview at St Hughs which didn't go too well - anyone know what this means? Does that mean i've been rejected from Magdalen?
Original post by qwertyasdfghj
I had two interviews at Magdalen for history which I think went fairly well and then got asked to go to another interview at St Hughs which didn't go too well - anyone know what this means? Does that mean i've been rejected from Magdalen?

Doesn't mean anything much, there are loads of reasons you might be interviewed somewhere else - you could get an offer from either of them. Try not to read too much into it and keep your mind off it until January! Good luck :smile:
Ive just finished my two law interviews at Magdalen, first went horrendously the second went really well! Is there any hope for me haha? 😂

Latest

Trending

Trending