Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you still talk to your father if.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    He told you he wanted you aborted and when your mother wouldn't agree, he disappear until you're an adult and he decided he wants a child after all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    personally I wouldn't want anything to do with him if by his own admission he never wanted me and he only wants to know me now that I'm an adult

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

I don't imagine we'd have a father-son relationship but I'd see if I could utilise it to get some money out of him to give to my mother.

ReputationRep:
    I have a **** relationship with my father so I am probably biased, but no I wouldn't talk to him.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd not consider it, he sounds like a right a**

ReputationRep:
    I'd try to talk to him, but if he seems like a d*ck I wouldn't want anything to do with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    Probably.

I don't imagine we'd have a father-son relationship but I'd see if I could utilise it to get some money out of him to give to my mother.
    This sounds like a good idea. Would you tell your mother where the money came from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    This sounds like a good idea. Would you tell your mother where the money came from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think so. I'm assuming the hypothetical useless father in this scenario hadn't paid any child support or otherwise would have left my mother in a financially disadvantaged state, in which case financial recompense might be the only realistic means of 'payback'.

ReputationRep:
    If a man was capable of that then tbh he's not much of a loss, and I can't imagine there's be much to gain from having him in your life.

I'd say no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    I think so. I'm assuming the hypothetical useless father in this scenario hadn't paid any child support or otherwise would have left my mother in a financially disadvantaged state, in which case financial recompense might be the only realistic means of 'payback'.
    Yes to the no child support.

What about if the hypothetical mother don't want any money from the father?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't talk to my father anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'm not here to judge him and any decisions he may have previously made.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a situation I am familiar with, it's impossible for me to relate in any way or to comment on it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would. I have no idea why he made those choices, and it's definitely possible he sees it as a mistake he regrets.

To be honest, these "no, wouldn't want anything to do with him" answers are irrational and closed-minded.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to the no child support.

What about if the hypothetical mother don't want any money from the father?
    I'd assume she was being irrational/proud/emotional and find a way to give her it anyway.

This is all assuming the father has the means to provide it. If he didn't, I don't imagine I'd bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    That's not a situation I am familiar with, it's impossible for me to relate in any way or to comment on it.
    Hypothetical

(Original post by FireGarden)
    Of course I would. I have no idea why he made those choices, and it's definitely possible he sees it as a mistake he regrets.

To be honest, these "no, wouldn't want anything to do with him" answers are irrational and closed-minded.

What about if he wanted the abortion because he choose his inheritance instead?

Also would you carry on talking to him if he's a ****ty father when you got to know him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, life is too short to hold grudges. Don't think I would have a good relationship with him, but wouldn't ignore him either.

ReputationRep:
    My father said something along those lines- and we have absolutely no contact now. It's his loss, not mine.
    People like that aren't worth wasting your time with, and generally, as I have come to learn, don't tend to change, despite what they might say. 'A leopard cannot change it's spots'.

ReputationRep:
    What about if he wanted the abortion because he choose his inheritance instead?

Also would you carry on talking to him if he's a ****ty father when you got to know him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't understand the first part.. what inheritance? How does a child affect that?

Secondly, no. It would be too late for a typical father/son relationship anyway, so being a bad father wouldn't be the issue. If I didn't like him as a person then I wouldn't bother. The act of wanting an abortion and subsequently leaving is, in my mind, not enough to suggest he is a genuinely bad person. People do strange things when life as they know it is threatened, and might not act as they think they would, or even how they think they should.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)

I'm only saying no out of personal experience, thanks to my crap mother. Ultimately though, it's really up to the person. All our comments on whether they should or not can't help them make up their mind. It's a personal decision.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.