Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thread for those applying for Biological/Physical NatSci for 2015 Entry.

Discuss any books you've read, or online courses, progress you've made with PS, work experience etc.

Good luck!

I myself am applying for just NatSci at Cambridge. The rest of my choices are Chemistry but others might just be applying for NatSci everywhere.

Here's the chemistry connect/stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.

ReputationRep:
    No way, Im going to apply for Nazi too at CAM. ATM I have read genome, the selfish gene, thinking fast and slow, how to solve it, About time (Paul Davies), A brief history of Time and The Book of Universes. I am currently reading the elegant universe, and am about to read QED. Are there any great chemistry books that you have read that are worth reading?

ReputationRep:
    Not a 2015 applicant, but potentially a 2016 applicant. Which books have you read, and why Chemistry? (I'm assuming that's the route you'd take at Cambridge). Personally I'd like to study physics/maths.

ReputationRep:
    No Im the same with Physmaths but just realised that there is an imbalance in what Ive read (need more chem/earth sci).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amtheril)
    No way, Im going to apply for Nazi too at CAM. ATM I have read genome, the selfish gene, thinking fast and slow, how to solve it, About time (Paul Davies), A brief history of Time and The Book of Universes. I am currently reading the elegant universe, and am about to read QED. Are there any great chemistry books that you have read that are worth reading?
    Ah nice.

I've actually not got into any Chemistry books; trying to get through general chemistry but it seems solely academic.

(Original post by _Miriam_)
    Not a 2015 applicant, but potentially a 2016 applicant. Which books have you read, and why Chemistry? (I'm assuming that's the route you'd take at Cambridge). Personally I'd like to study physics/maths.
    I've been reading more Quantum Mechanics books than chemistry, and even then nothing much.

Chemistry because it's the one that links into both biochemistry and physics. I want NatSci because I can't really choose between the Pharmaceutical side and the quantum side of chemistry, and so it'd help.

No Im the same with Physmaths but just realised that there is an imbalance in what Ive read (need more chem/earth sci).
    You don't need to read everywhere, it just helps. Earth Science looks interesting.

Personally I'd want to do:
    Biology of Cells
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Mathematics B

ReputationRep:
    That seems cool. Were you at Cambridge for the open day on the 3rd? The Guy at the Natsci stand said that the cool thig about earth sci is tht you need no previous knoledge in the subject (just pgy/chem/bio) and so it is easy to make advancements in the field at an early stage. I just have an interest in renewable energy, and so potentially phys/chem/earthsci all could be useful for general knoledge.

ReputationRep:
    That seems cool. Were you at Cambridge for the open day on the 3rd? The Guy at the Natsci stand said that the cool thig about earth sci is tht you need no previous knoledge in the subject (just pgy/chem/bio) and so it is easy to make advancements in the field at an early stage. I just have an interest in renewable energy, and so potentially phys/chem/earthsci all could be useful for general knoledge.
    I was, but I didn't go to the talks for NatSci sadly!

Ah that's pretty cool, I like energy and stuff. I like too much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm probs applying for cambridge, bath, durham, exeter and leeds for NatSci But if my results aren't too great, I'll swap cambridge for nottingham.
    I've got some work experience next week in a pharmacology dept. and I'm also doing a 4 week Nuffield Research Placement at Imperial over the summer (green chem dept.-using spectroscopy on new solar cell materials.)
    I haven't read that much tbh... I read Big Bang by simon singh but I feel it's a bit of a novice's book. I've also read Periodic tales by hugh aldersey-williams but that's it

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Personally I'd want to do:
    Biology of Cells
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Mathematics B
    By Maths B do you mean Mathematical Biology? :3
    I think I'm going to want to do Chemistry, Earth Science, Biology of cells and Mathematics
    Earth Science and Biology of cells aren't concrete tho, I'm also thinking about Physics or Materials Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    I'm probs applying for cambridge, bath, durham, exeter and leeds for NatSci But if my results aren't too great, I'll swap cambridge for nottingham.
    I've got some work experience next week in a pharmacology dept. and I'm also doing a 4 week Nuffield Research Placement at Imperial over the summer (green chem dept.-using spectroscopy on new solar cell materials.)
    I haven't read that much tbh... I read Big Bang by simon singh but I feel it's a bit of a novice's book. I've also read Periodic tales by hugh aldersey-williams but that's it

By Maths B do you mean Mathematical Biology? :3
    I think I'm going to want to do Chemistry, Earth Science, Biology of cells and Mathematics
    Earth Science and Biology of cells aren't concrete tho, I'm also thinking about Physics or Materials Science.
    Oh wow, pharmacology is awesome.

Maths B is sort of a fast track maths.

I wanted Materials Science/CompSci too too many to fit in

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, pharmacology is awesome.

Maths B is sort of a fast track maths.

I wanted Materials Science/CompSci too too many to fit in
    Yeah it is Oh, is it fast track b/c you've already done FM? Yeah I know It's worse at other universities for Natsci because they just make you choose general subjects and you can only choose three: cambridge is the only place that has the course that I want
    What other universities are you thinking of applying to for Chem?

ReputationRep:
    I was, but I didn't go to the talks for NatSci sadly!

Ah that's pretty cool, I like energy and stuff. I like too much!
    Ill try and fill you in then. The talk was pretty much about how the natural science degree works, and how to employers, it is considered equal to doing straight chem, or straight phys etc (as long as you've not randomized the subjects in the course).

Also, it was saying how all sciences cross borders with other sciences, and so doing Nazi gives you an advantage instead of just doing a single science in terms of cross-border research etc. In addition, as at CAM you cover the course content really quickly and pretty thoroughly (as I gather) you wont miss out on knowledge.

When I asked Qs at the stands, they said pretty much in your statement you have to DEMONSTRATE your enthusiasm (e.g taking part in Olympiads, even if you just got a copper etc). Be ready for interview questions where they don't tell you what method you should use to figure out an answer, and your methodology is way more important than the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Applying for Nat Sci at UCL and 1 other place; and then applying for chemistry everywhere else (Warwick, Queen Mary and UCL again). Just wondering if it's wise to apply to UCL twice; for NatSci entry requirements are A*AA-AAA but for chem it's AAA-ABB so applying and getting two offers (A*AA and ABB) would be nice for a firm and insurance but again it might be a stupid idea. To be honest it depends on my AS results, the better I do, the more NatSci Applications I'll make. Also getting a personal statement which covers both subjects will be a pain!

Anyone done any relevant work exp?

ReputationRep:
    I've actually not got into any Chemistry books; trying to get through general chemistry but it seems solely academic.
    If you want a chemistry book to read prior to Cambridge - 'Why chemical reactions happen.' Keeler and Wothers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Yeah it is Oh, is it fast track b/c you've already done FM? Yeah I know It's worse at other universities for Natsci because they just make you choose general subjects and you can only choose three: cambridge is the only place that has the course that I want
    What other universities are you thinking of applying to for Chem?
    I did a medicinal chem course and its fun!

Yeah I think it's aimed at fm people

Bristol
    Bath
    Warwick
    Nottingham

Ill try and fill you in then. The talk was pretty much about how the natural science degree works, and how to employers, it is considered equal to doing straight chem, or straight phys etc (as long as you've not randomized the subjects in the course).

Also, it was saying how all sciences cross borders with other sciences, and so doing Nazi gives you an advantage instead of just doing a single science in terms of cross-border research etc. In addition, as at CAM you cover the course content really quickly and pretty thoroughly (as I gather) you wont miss out on knowledge.

When I asked Qs at the stands, they said pretty much in your statement you have to DEMONSTRATE your enthusiasm (e.g taking part in Olympiads, even if you just got a copper etc). Be ready for interview questions where they don't tell you what method you should use to figure out an answer, and your methodology is way more important than the answer.
    Ah that's good to know then! Interview sounds so fun!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think is a better way leading to Physics? 1st year PhysNatSci (Chem, Phys, Compsci, Maths B) or 1st year Maths with Physics? I do further Maths and have done C3 this year (I've just finished year 12), so I'm fine with either option, I just can't make up my mind about which one to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igooo)
    What do you guys think is a better way leading to Physics? 1st year PhysNatSci (Chem, Phys, Compsci, Maths B) or 1st year Maths with Physics? I do further Maths and have done C3 this year (I've just finished year 12), so I'm fine with either option, I just can't make up my mind about which one to choose.
    If you want to sit STEP, then maths with physics. But the NatSci option looks nicer

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's thinking of applying to Bath, I made a thread
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...328&p=48503000

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised this thread isn't as active because I would've thought natural sciences was a popular subject
    Are any of you going to be writing in the "additional personal statement" in the SAQ form? I'm applying for physical natural sciences in physics/chemistry/earth sciences (or maybe computer science instead) but since I'm applying for straight physics at other unis, I'm not sure whether it would make any difference to my application if I read a chemistry book and then mentioned it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    I'm surprised this thread isn't as active because I would've thought natural sciences was a popular subject
    Are any of you going to be writing in the "additional personal statement" in the SAQ form? I'm applying for physical natural sciences in physics/chemistry/earth sciences (or maybe computer science instead) but since I'm applying for straight physics at other unis, I'm not sure whether it would make any difference to my application if I read a chemistry book and then mentioned it...
    If you can link it into physics you might as well.

My PS is quite NatSci even though I'm applying for Chemistry. It's like Chemistry but saying how chem also links with other sciences...

I'm definitely going to use the additional parts to add in more NatSci stuff though.
    I'm contemplating physics though I want to do chem and physics but can't dilute either with a joint.

ReputationRep:
    If you can link it into physics you might as well.

My PS is quite NatSci even though I'm applying for Chemistry. It's like Chemistry but saying how chem also links with other sciences...

I'm definitely going to use the additional parts to add in more NatSci stuff though.
    I'm contemplating physics though I want to do chem and physics but can't dilute either with a joint.
    I see what you mean, as most natural sciences courses aren't accredited by RSC- have you looked into chemical physics though? Also, the Physics and Chemistry Natural Sciences course at Durham is accredited by both the RSC and IOP so I would've thought that that would be quite rigorous :cool:

Are you self teaching any modules over the summer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.