Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at medical school and I will be intercalating next year in a masters course. It's totally unclear as to whether we can get funding from any bodies, and the course doesn't seem to know either.

Is there anyone out there who can shed any light? Past people who have intercalated in a MSc - did you get any funding, how did you go about applying?

Thanks,

Harrison Banks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Harrison,

As far as I'm aware if it will be your fourth year then you cannot get any funding for a MSc from Student Loans or NHS bursaries.

I am not entirely sure though if it is possible for you to obtain funding from Student Loans if the MSc is integrated into your course. I know of people who intercalated externally and because it was a MSc they got nothing, but that may vary.

It may be that you can get a tuition fee loan up to your current fee level. But then I'm not sure it is possible to get a maintenance loan for a MSc.

Definitely hold out for someone on here who may help. I'll have an ask round for you as well!

ReputationRep:
    So I found this from Money4Medstudents

"Please note if you are considering intercalating on a Postgraduate course that there is likely to be no statutory funding from the relevant Student Finance or NHS related body for that year. If you intercallate on a masters it can also affect future funding entitlement from Student Finance according to the equivilent level qualification rule."

So basically this means you can't get any tuition fee or maintenance loan. The "equivalent level qualification rule" means that once you have a MSc, as it counts as a "higher" course than medicine, you can no longer get a tuition fee loan. However, this shouldn't affect you since after your MSc you will go into your fifth year, so you can apply for NHS bursary funding. I *think* that if you qualify for NHS bursary funding this also means you can get a reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance.

In terms of other funding, hopefully it is not too late but look for relevant society and association funding relevant to your degree. So I think the Pathological Society funds pathology related degrees, as does Jean Shanks Foundation. I've heard of Royal College of Anaesthetists and Dermatologists doing this too.

Hopefully that is of some help and someone else out there who has intercalated on a MSc can help further! I didn't do a MSc specifically because of funding issues so good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrison_Banks)
    Hi there,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at medical school and I will be intercalating next year in a masters course. It's totally unclear as to whether we can get funding from any bodies, and the course doesn't seem to know either.

Is there anyone out there who can shed any light? Past people who have intercalated in a MSc - did you get any funding, how did you go about applying?

Thanks,

Harrison Banks

I don't know specifically, but Newcastle medics can intercalate onto an MRes after 4th year (so in the 5th year of study) and the advice given to us is that obviously there is no funding from student finance (you're past that) but the NHS will fund the 3.5k (or whatever) that they would have given you anyway, with you having to pick up the shortfall. The rest is made up from bursaries (internal/external), research bodies or your own pocket. The NHS maintenance grant is obviously tiny as well for that year and means-tested.

e: Take a look at this document, confirms what I've said: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Do....0_05.2013.pdf

Any other eligible academic year on a pre-registration course lasting 5 or more years (including any integral foundation or intercalating years at bachelor or masters degree level).

On or after 1 Sept 2006: £3465
    On or after 1 Sept 2012: £9000

"...If the student’s tuition fees are higher the student will have to pay the balance...."

The Department of Health cannot pay a higher amount for intercalation courses. Students affected by this should note that, if the tuition fees for your intercalation course are set higher than this standard amount, you would be expected to meet the balance of the cost of the fees yourself.
    Note that NO funding is given if you intercalate for a PhD (e.g. MBBS/PhD).

This obviously doesn't take into account student finance at all because I haven't even considered them because they wouldn't be in the picture for my intercalation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wondering what you ended up doing? I'm in the same position now and can't figure it out. I'm intercalating externally in and MSc after 3rd year.

Thanks,

Gemma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.