Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the popularity of football in england increasing or decreasing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean it as a spectator sport...

ReputationRep:
    Prob decreasing. As it should really. You can't be that fanatical about a sport that your country is utterly **** at

Decreasing. It used to be much bigger, but that was because it was cheaper and football was pretty much your only choice in a lot of areas. On a worldwide scale, the popularity is increasing though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bertstare)
      Prob decreasing. As it should really. You can't be that fanatical about a sport that your country is utterly **** at
      Don't confuse support of the national team to support of the club game. Supporters of the bigger clubs would put their clubs over their country nine times out of ten, doesn't matter how the country performs to them. And the performance of the national team has sod all correlation to performance of the club sides within that country.

(Original post by dabadiao)
      I mean it as a spectator sport...
      On a pure numbers basis, they keep going up in spite of all the many constraints on them, so you have to say it's getting slightly more popular. Clubs are getting bigger stadia, they're always filling them, they're earning more money from them... Due a crash at some point, though. And the picture is different at the lower levels.

But then, those 'spectating' via tv (tenuous...) are going up, too. More games televised, bigger audiences..

ReputationRep:
      I'd say decreasing, which is definitely the case for me on an individual level.

Over the last 15 years the game has changed so much. Players constantly rolling around on the floor (who actually thought Neymar was injured?), justification of diving by commentators..."he got touched by the defender so has the right to go down", quite obvious corruption within FIFA and a complete decimation of the English game by money.

I've lost a lot of interest.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      Don't confuse support of the national team to support of the club game. Supporters of the bigger clubs would put their clubs over their country nine times out of ten, doesn't matter how the country performs to them. And the performance of the national team has sod all correlation to performance of the club sides within that country.

On a pure numbers basis, they keep going up in spite of all the many constraints on them, so you have to say it's getting slightly more popular. Clubs are getting bigger stadia, they're always filling them, they're earning more money from them... Due a crash at some point, though. And the picture is different at the lower levels.

You're just looking at the top clubs though...need to take into account reducing attendances in the lower leagues, for example the Championship...

Championship Average Attendance

2009/10 - 18,119
      2010/11 - 17,457
      2011/12 - 17,841
      2012/13 - 17,311
      2013/14 - 16,555

ReputationRep:
      england are really great at football and sports in general, they have a natural talent for it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by one2three_abc)
      You're just looking at the top clubs though...need to take into account reducing attendances in the lower leagues, for example the Championship...
      I did say "and the picture is different at lower levels".

But that ~1600 decline over 5 years is most likely equaled if not bettered by the increase in Premier League attendances over the same period.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Decreasing. It used to be much bigger, but that was because it was cheaper and football was pretty much your only choice in a lot of areas. On a worldwide scale, the popularity is increasing though.
      Not really.the popularity maybe increase because the number of fans is bigger than ever.And more people watch it on tv.
      I think what you mean is passion.People have more choice so they lose passion for football and just have a care.

ReputationRep:
      Decreasing imo...people don't get as excited about events like the World Cup any more, probably because we're so useless :P

ReputationRep:
      Eng iS the BeSt LoL

ReputationRep:
      Growing as the population is growing so there are more people. Relative to other sports I'd say its probably decreasing.

ReputationRep:
      the main problem is that england is such ****

ReputationRep:
      im an english recently-converted fc barcelona fan.

fc barcelona have reignited my love for the game.

that prick zuniga should be banned from football for life, ****

ive also been supporting brazil for the past year, england are too boring to support

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EvilToilet)
      im an english recently-converted fc barcelona fan.

fc barcelona have reignited my love for the game.

that prick zuniga should be banned from football for life, ****

ive also been supporting brazil for the past year, england are too boring to support
      Should Matuidi be banned aswell for breaking that nigerian guy's ankle. Should all the other players that injured someone at this World Cup be banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Statistics are deceiving.

It might be that English football fans are just watching on TV rather than going to stadiums to watch (which means forking out loads for a season ticket)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sucess)
      Should Matuidi be banned aswell for breaking that nigerian guy's ankle. Should all the other players that injured someone at this World Cup be banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      was it worse than a 15 yard sprint and a deliberate, cynical jump/knee into the back (breaking the bone) of the world cups hosts star player?

it has effectively ended our challenge for the world cup.

also note how THAT challenge didn't even get a booking, while thiago silva got one for merely nudging the goalkeeper as he was about to take the kick.

2 of our best players out for the semi final, i have to congratulate both the referee and the colombian national team, for successfully sabotaging our world cup challenge.

i mean really well done, not just spoiled it for us, but for the watching world. the world cup, as a spectacle, has now finished. the entertainers, the great brazil, the neutrals favourite are defeated.
      • TSR Support Team

I say it is decreasing, and it is being overrun with more cooperate people going to games but have no interest in the actual game of football.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by one2three_abc)

Championship Average Attendance

2009/10 - 18,119
      2010/11 - 17,457
      2011/12 - 17,841
      2012/13 - 17,311
      2013/14 - 16,555
      You've also got to look at the possible average attendance each season though - for instance, the 13/14 season: the 24 grounds in the division had a combined total of 42,081 seats less than the season before due to the changes in teams.

Just taking the last 2 seasons:

Average ground capacity:

2012/2013: 27,479
      2013/2014: 25,725

Average attendance as a percentage of ground capacity:
      2012/2013: 62.99%
      2013/2014: 64.35%

It's all well and good saying the raw number of people going is falling, but if there's fewer tickets available, that's bound to be the case - but removing that effect by going to percentage of capacity attendance, the attendances rose last season.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      Don't confuse support of the national team to support of the club game. Supporters of the bigger clubs would put their clubs over their country nine times out of ten, doesn't matter how the country performs to them..
      What a strange thing to say. Why are you constraining this to the bigger clubs? Why would only fans of the bigger clubs put their club over country?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.