Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the types of accommodation they stayed in, in the uni of Sheffield and the pros and cons of the accommodation? I'm starting in September. I'm looking at accommodation that's owned by University of Sheffield and accommodation that isn't too such as 'exchange works' etc because i have no clue where to go. I will be visiting accommodation n the 12th of July but I think I have left it way too late atm.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't left it too late for university accommodation if you're visiting next week, that will be fine. It's not first-come-first-served and if you're after the standard Endcliffe/Ranmoor rooms (en-suite self-catered) then I wouldn't worry as they make up the majority of rooms and are all identical in size and quality. I stayed in Endcliffe for my first year, it's really quality. It's probably the most ideal place to be as a fresher, because everyone else is there and in the same boat.

Pros: quality, 24 hr security team very helpful, everything you need is there, opportunity to meet ridiculous amounts of other students if you want, lots of nice pubs in walking distance, very regular buses from train station through town up to the accommodation, ducks waddling around, internet was stable

Cons: getting up the hill to the bus stop if you need it when it's snowing is hard, the front blocks can be a bit noisier, can turn your radiators up/down in your room but when heating is on/off is globally controlled (normally fine but if you're up at 3 or 4 am it can get chilly as its been off for a while - combat with a small heater if you need to, as electricity is all in).

On average it's a 15-20min walk to the centre of campus depending on your walking speed. Quite a nice route down. I really don't have many cons to be honest because the place was lovely. The only problems I imagine you'll run into are your flat mates, because that's bound to happen wherever you are. Someone will be going out every night making lots of noise, and someone will be incapable of washing up etc.

Private houses are okay, but I wouldn't sign into one without having looked at it as the standard is lower than university accommodation. Some can be quite bad for damp problems.

There's a couple of other complexes - like West One, iQ Brocco & iQ Steel, few more I think. They always looked very similar standard to the university places, either similar priced or slightly more expensive (for the central ones). I can see why people would stay in them but there's absolutely no reason to as a fresher when you have university accommodation guaranteed if you're a firm offer holder.

ReputationRep:
    All the student accommodation blocks are reasonable, and safe, albeit a bit overpriced IMO. There are often problems with other students and noise, particularly with sharing a kitchen (others taking stuff or strangers using your living space other than those that live there).

Having a house with mates is generally the best idea. Though, usually happens in second and third years.

As above, Endcliffe is a good area - though a little way to walk to the UoS. Others that may be good are the city centre, Crookes, Walkley, and Ecclesaul.

A good place to look at accommodation is Gumtree, lots of landlords post there (as I do for my dad). There are also lots of student rental services (by the university or private) which will be very happy to help you out (my girlfriend got a decent place through an student estate agent type place).

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone shed any light on the shared bathroom accommodation of Endcliffe? I have opted for shared bathroom as I simply can't afford en-suite. What kind of reputation do the different halls have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieLaw_)
    Can someone please tell me the types of accommodation they stayed in, in the uni of Sheffield and the pros and cons of the accommodation? I'm starting in September. I'm looking at accommodation that's owned by University of Sheffield and accommodation that isn't too such as 'exchange works' etc because i have no clue where to go. I will be visiting accommodation n the 12th of July but I think I have left it way too late atm.
    The accommodation website says you're guaranteed accommodation as long as you accept an offer before 6th of July and actually apply for accommodation by 8th of August. You can read more about it here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommod...pply/guarantee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    You haven't left it too late for university accommodation if you're visiting next week, that will be fine. It's not first-come-first-served and if you're after the standard Endcliffe/Ranmoor rooms (en-suite self-catered) then I wouldn't worry as they make up the majority of rooms and are all identical in size and quality. I stayed in Endcliffe for my first year, it's really quality. It's probably the most ideal place to be as a fresher, because everyone else is there and in the same boat.

Pros: quality, 24 hr security team very helpful, everything you need is there, opportunity to meet ridiculous amounts of other students if you want, lots of nice pubs in walking distance, very regular buses from train station through town up to the accommodation, ducks waddling around, internet was stable

Cons: getting up the hill to the bus stop if you need it when it's snowing is hard, the front blocks can be a bit noisier, can turn your radiators up/down in your room but when heating is on/off is globally controlled (normally fine but if you're up at 3 or 4 am it can get chilly as its been off for a while - combat with a small heater if you need to, as electricity is all in).

On average it's a 15-20min walk to the centre of campus depending on your walking speed. Quite a nice route down. I really don't have many cons to be honest because the place was lovely. The only problems I imagine you'll run into are your flat mates, because that's bound to happen wherever you are. Someone will be going out every night making lots of noise, and someone will be incapable of washing up etc.

Private houses are okay, but I wouldn't sign into one without having looked at it as the standard is lower than university accommodation. Some can be quite bad for damp problems.

There's a couple of other complexes - like West One, iQ Brocco & iQ Steel, few more I think. They always looked very similar standard to the university places, either similar priced or slightly more expensive (for the central ones). I can see why people would stay in them but there's absolutely no reason to as a fresher when you have university accommodation guaranteed if you're a firm offer holder.
    If it's not first come first serve then what do they base it on? If I apply for endcliffe now is it unlikely I will get my first choice or do I have an equal chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basit2010)
    If it's not first come first serve then what do they base it on? If I apply for endcliffe now is it unlikely I will get my first choice or do I have an equal chance?
    I think it's more to do with allocations just happen when the results come through/UCAS confirmation etc. so I believe if you meet your offer, as a firm holder, it's quite likely. You could always e-mail them and ask for sure how they do it

Greg1066
    Does applying to accommodation earlier give you an advantage to your preferred choice?
    Accommodation Staff - Elaine
    Hi Greg, no we do not allocate first come first serve
    That's dated 2011, from some transcript I just found on google with questions from international offer holders. I remember being told UCAS tour information in 2012 saying it wasn't first come first serve. I can't see anything to suggest that's changed.

It depends on the relative volumes of people applying for Endcliffe vs. Ranmoor, but if you don't get Endcliffe then you'll get Ranmoor which is pretty much the same. Slightly smaller/less busy but seriously I had no need for the hundreds of people on Endcliffe, there's still other blocks and plenty of people in Ranmoor.

If you're applying for a non-standard room, like deluxe, catered or shared bathrooms then i'm not really sure on the chances. There's not as many rooms for this type.

They guarantee you accommodation if you're a firm holder and apply before the start of August, I think it is. Given Endcliffe and Ranmoor standard rooms make up 90% of the stock it's really unlikely you'd end up elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my course in Sheffield by this Sept and I have chosen endcliffe as my location for accommodation.I just saw lots of other sources and found endcliffe comfortable for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.