The Student Room Group

Scandanavians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexKay99
I shouldn't agree so, Estonia, although a 'Baltic state' might as well be placed in the Nordic council because of our very close ties, we are not Slavonic people like the other members of the Baltic states, but Nordics are generally nationalists so they wouldn't consider any foreign ethnic people, I'm surprised how the Finns ended up there...the North of Russia might as well be included if that's the case.
Any way the whole point is, if your looking for good looking people, they'll be the ethnic Scandinavians not the Finnic-Urgic.

Oh I might add that Iceland is a member of the Nordic council and look were they are geographically, they might as well be a part of the Common Travel Area!

The point about Iceland is vacuous. It's about linguistics and anthropology. Not geographical location. Iceland is in the middle of nowhere between two continents. It's natives are the Norse settlers, they are essentially Norwegian par they now are independent of it.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
The point about Iceland is vacuous. It's about linguistics and anthropology. Not geographical location. Iceland is in the middle of nowhere between two continents. It's natives are the Norse settlers, they are essentially Norwegian par they now are independent of it.

Could you tell me why the average penis size in Iceland is 6.5 inches - the largest in Europe? :giggle:
Woah. Slavonic? No one is Slavonic in the baltics par the Poles. Livonians are Baltic, Lithuanians are baltic and speak a baltic language. Slavonic par the general term of "West slavic" usually always denotes old church Slavonic peoples; those which were proselytized and aided by the Eastern Roman Empire. Croats, Serbs, Vlach, Moravians etc.

Though I actually agree about Estonia being part of Scandinavia, and indeed it was at one point. The reason it's no longer has to do with the Muscovite empire, and Novgorod really. The strict Rus' position of endemic extirpation removed those in the later Muscovite sphere from being included in the Swedes sphere. So errr blame the Russians lol.

Of course they are 'Baltic' but because of the deep influence of various Slaves on the other Baltic states, I consider them basically Slavonic at this point just like I consider Estonians Nordic because of the same reason. I know I'm not supposed to but they are far from similar to us, even their language has become more Slavic despite that they don't use Cyrillic. But that's just my opinion.
The 'Muscovite Empire'? You mean the Russian Empire? Well yes there was that and a Soviet Occupation but Estonia has gained independence and I don't see why the Nordics have to exclude us now.

But you stated in your previous post that the only reason the Finnish exist in the Nordic council is because of their geographical position rather than ethnicity. They may be Norwegian but they recognise themselves as Icelandic because they are independent, just like we are independent, yet they are still included and we are not.
Of course they are 'Baltic' but because of the deep influence of various Slaves on the other Baltic states, I consider them basically Slavonic at this point just like I consider Estonians Nordic because of the same reason. I know I'm not supposed to but they are far from similar to us, even their language has become more Slavic despite that they don't use Cyrillic. But that's just my opinion.
The 'Muscovite Empire'? You mean the Russian Empire? Well yes there was that and a Soviet Occupation but Estonia has gained independence and I don't see why the Nordics have to exclude us now.

That's just bias there. Sorry m8. They aren't slavic at all. Their language is wholly Baltic still.

Muscovite empire. Muscovy didn't fully declare to be the "Empire of the people of Rus'" till the late 15th century, and before then were an empire. So in history, Muscovite empire is used as a form to define the two periods.

And why? Because Russia still exists as does the past. Can't change it, sorry.
Original post by Friendly Liberal
Apparently the average penis size in Iceland is 6.5 inches, one whole inch longer than the rest of Scandinavia?

How can this be?

Maybe the whale meat helps.
Maybe the whale meat helps.

Funny but I was hoping for a better answer. I don't understand why the average penis size is 6.5 inchs when another user in this thread pointed out that Iceland was populated by a group of Viking nomads - the very people who populate most of Scandinavia today. So why is there such a difference in penis length? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
That's just bias there. Sorry m8. They aren't slavic at all. Their language is wholly Baltic still.

Muscovite empire. Muscovy didn't fully declare to be the "Empire of the people of Rus'" till the late 15th century, and before then were an empire. So in history, Muscovite empire is used as a form to define the two periods.

And why? Because Russia still exists as does the past. Can't change it, sorry.

I know its biased but I did state it was my opinion. And yes they did not officially name themselves the Russian Empire until the late 15th century as you say but Estonia wasn't ruled by the Muscovite Empire because it was taken over in the 18th Century therefore it was ruled by the Russian Empire.
I know its biased but I did state it was my opinion. And yes they did not officially name themselves the Russian Empire until the late 15th century as you say but Estonia wasn't ruled by the Muscovite Empire because it was taken over in the 18th Century therefore it was ruled by the Russian Empire.

The Livonian Order was under the sphere of Muscovy for a long time, as well as a tribute state. Russian for all intensive purposes.
Funny but I was hoping for a better answer. I don't understand why the average penis size is 6.5 inchs when another user in this thread pointed out that Iceland was populated by a group of Viking nomads - the very people who populate most of Scandinavia today. So why is there such a difference in penis length? :confused:

Honestly, that's I highly specific question which I wouldn't even begin to try and find out because I've no idea! Sorry.
The Livonian Order was under the sphere of Muscovy for a long time, as well as a tribute state. Russian for all intensive purposes.

That was not quite Russian rule, it was a period of various occupations or even collective ones, I'm not too familiar with it but it was never officially claimed for too long.
The were only officially capitulated into the Russian Empire in 1710 I believe.
(edited 9 years ago)
That was not quite Russian rule, it was a period of various occupations or even collective ones, I'm not too familiar with it but it was never officially claimed for too long.
The were only officially capitulated into the Russian Empire on 1710 I believe.

Russian rule, or hegemony for around 200 years. That's a long time.
Russian rule, or hegemony for around 200 years. That's a long time.

From what period? There were a lot of different forms of Russian rule, I cannot stress enough that the Soviet Union was not Russia and the Russian Empire was different to when the Rurik dynasty ruled. In fact, Russians are not simply Slavonic, they too emerged from Danish Vikings, an elite group known as 'Ruis' which settled in Russia ages ago until the Mongol invasion mixed them to form Slavs.
From what period? There were a lot of different forms of Russian rule, I cannot stress enough that the Soviet Union was not Russia and the Russian Empire was different to when the Rurik dynasty ruled. In fact, Russians are not simply Slavonic, they too emerged from Danish Vikings, an elite group known as 'Ruis' which settled in Russia ages ago until the Mongol invasion mixed them to form Slavs.

Yes the Vikings spreed their seed as far south as Istanbul, as well as to the Russian east. Did you know that the Hagia sophia has Viking runes etched into the architecture and I think that there is a ceiling fresco depicting Viking Gods. I know this because I watched a BBC Viking documentary! That's pretty much all I know about Vikings. :giggle:
Yes the Vikings spreed their seed as far south as Istanbul, as well as to the Russian east. Did you know that the Hagia sophia has Viking runes etched into the architecture and I think that there is a ceiling fresco depicting Viking Gods. I know this because I watched a BBC Viking documentary! That's pretty much all I know about Vikings. :giggle:

No I did not, how interesting! There is speculation that the Vikings even reached America before everybody else, because they found their settlements there, I guess they didn't like it and left!

I don't know why you're trying to straw-man me so much. I made it very clear. The Muscovite or Russian empire, they were inasmuch as can be the same state. Hegemony over the Livonian Order was already established by Novgorod around 1450, once the Livonian order was a seperate branch of the Tuetonic order. Around 1500 when Muscovy began it's conquests of Novgorod, the Livonian order paid tribute to Musocvy or directly aided them against Novgorod. Once Muscovy invaded in order to annex the land, the Kalmar union defended and beat back Muscovy.

The period of when the Russian empire ruled Estonia constitutes a at least more than a hundred years from 1721 when Sweden capitulated to Russia in the Great Northern war, and they remained Russian till (if by your definition) 1917. You do the math.
No I did not, how interesting! There is speculation that the Vikings even reached America before everybody else, because they found their settlements there, I guess they didn't like it and left!

I just did a google search and I'm not sure if the ceiling fresco is true, but certainly, the runes are present:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_inscriptions_in_Hagia_Sophia
I don't know why you're trying to straw-man me so much. I made it very clear. The Muscovite or Russian empire, they were inasmuch as can be the same state. Hegemony over the Livonian Order was already established by Novgorod around 1450, once the Livonian order was a seperate branch of the Tuetonic order. Around 1500 when Muscovy began it's conquests of Novgorod, the Livonian order paid tribute to Musocvy or directly aided them against Novgorod. Once Muscovy invaded in order to annex the land, the Kalmar union defended and beat back Muscovy.

The period of when the Russian empire ruled Estonia constitutes a at least more than a hundred years from 1721 when Sweden capitulated to Russia in the Great Northern war, and they remained Russian till (if by your definition) 1917. You do the math.

We are just discussing, I'm not trying to start anything lol! Seriously, its nothing personal. I don't know much about the Livonian period you discuss but I'm just saying that I disagree with you considering Russia a constant omnipresence in Estonian history, as far as I'm concerned, that time when it was officially capitulated by Russia is the time I consider it to be ruled by it irrespective of what happened on certain occasions. The Livonian order as far as I know was not a Russian one although I would like to study history so that I could find out more.
And If you state that it was ruled by Russia for 200 years (which I agree) then you contradict your own statement when you said it was ruled by Muscovy all along. It was only ruled officially by the Russian Empire from 1710 to 1917 and afterwards to Soviet Union took over.
We are just discussing, I'm not trying to start anything lol! Seriously, its nothing personal. I don't know much about the Livonian period you discuss but I'm just saying that I disagree with you considering Russia a constant omnipresence in Estonian history, as far as I'm concerned, that time when it was officially capitulated by Russia is the time I consider it to be ruled by it irrespective of what happened on certain occasions. The Livonian order as far as I know was not a Russian one although I would like to study history so that I could find out more.
And If you state that it was ruled by Russia for 200 years (which I agree) then you contradict your own statement when you said it was ruled by Muscovy all along. It was only ruled officially by the Russian Empire from 1710 to 1917 and afterwards to Soviet Union took over.

Straw- man again. I said it was Russian for all intensive purposes. Not that it was Muscovite.

It was an ominous and sempiternal presence singe the rise of Musocvy. Yes Sorry, that's the fact.
I just did a google search and I'm not sure if the ceiling fresco is true, but certainly, the runes are present:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_inscriptions_in_Hagia_Sophia

Oh this might be when Knayz Vladimir created a siege of Constantinople, they were Russian vikings who wanted to become Christian but Constantinople which was the Christian Byzantium Empire at the time did not let them because they were pagans but Knayz Vladimir occupied Constantinople (now Istanbul) and forced them to baptize him so that he can marry one of their princesses who was Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest