Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making friends after depression Watch

I suffered from depression quite badly during my last few years of school and both years of college. I am now working.

That means I didn't speak to many people any I didn't have any friends. Unfortunately I now have few friends still. I am beating the depression but I think having some friends to go out with will really help me.

I have a two friends at work but they have their own friends so aren't really interested in doing anything outside of work. Most weekends they are out visiting Uni friends in various cities over the country, whereas I just sit at home on my own.

I don't have any hobbies either so I can't make friends there. Does anyone have any tips on how to make friends? I kinda wish I went to Uni so I could make some good friends but that's not possible now.

I'm in a very similar situation as you :hugs:

I had depression for about 5 yeras, all the way from school through uni. I pushed all my school friends away and failed to make any friends at uni. Now I'm slightly better, but I feel so alone. I don't have any hobbies either, because I feel like most of my life I was too depressed to enjoy anything, but now I'm trying out a lot of new things to find a hobby I enjoy - maybe you could do the same? I know it's hard and you may not feel like it, but it would be worth it once you find something you love doing.

Also, I'm trying to get back in touch with my old friends from school. It hasn't been the same because they've moved on and built their own lives, but it's nice to be able to talk to someone occasionally. The only thing with this approach is that you could end up feeling disappointed if you try reaching out for someone but they don't make any effort back because they already have lots going on in their lives. I've had this with a few people I contacted, but you have to try not to take it personally!

I'm afraid that's all I've got. If I knew more I wouldn't be in this position!

Good luck

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in a very similar situation as you :hugs:

I had depression for about 5 yeras, all the way from school through uni. I pushed all my school friends away and failed to make any friends at uni. Now I'm slightly better, but I feel so alone. I don't have any hobbies either, because I feel like most of my life I was too depressed to enjoy anything, but now I'm trying out a lot of new things to find a hobby I enjoy - maybe you could do the same? I know it's hard and you may not feel like it, but it would be worth it once you find something you love doing.

Also, I'm trying to get back in touch with my old friends from school. It hasn't been the same because they've moved on and built their own lives, but it's nice to be able to talk to someone occasionally. The only thing with this approach is that you could end up feeling disappointed if you try reaching out for someone but they don't make any effort back because they already have lots going on in their lives. I've had this with a few people I contacted, but you have to try not to take it personally!

I'm afraid that's all I've got. If I knew more I wouldn't be in this position!

Good luck
    Thanks- I didn't speak to many people at school and the ones that I did seem to have their own lives and friends now. I tried to get us back together a few years back but no one was really interested

ReputationRep:
    I'm going through the same thing. I'm 18 now and I can honestly say depression is a ***** to go through. I feel misunderstood and so lonely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    maybe thats why we are posting this thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillyrain)
    maybe thats why we are posting this thing!
    Are you talking to me? But yeah I was just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohemarica)
    Are you talking to me? But yeah I was just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have a same blue of lonely as you. maybe we could put something new into our lifes. and i think there is a lot of fancy you could do by yourself and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I suffered from depression quite badly during my last few years of school and both years of college. I am now working.

That means I didn't speak to many people any I didn't have any friends. Unfortunately I now have few friends still. I am beating the depression but I think having some friends to go out with will really help me.

I have a two friends at work but they have their own friends so aren't really interested in doing anything outside of work. Most weekends they are out visiting Uni friends in various cities over the country, whereas I just sit at home on my own.

I don't have any hobbies either so I can't make friends there. Does anyone have any tips on how to make friends? I kinda wish I went to Uni so I could make some good friends but that's not possible now.
    i felt a bit like that when i was trying to find my feet after depression - take it slow, and also take it as a fresh start to find friends elsewhere - remember everyone is going through changes in their social life so you'll defo be able to find new friends in other places by working or call up other friends and try to build a friendship with them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.