Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Starting A-Levels next year and I was wondering if any one who has completed them could give me advice on how to do well? I want to go to University after and so I want to get the best grades possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaslight182)
    Starting A-Levels next year and I was wondering if any one who has completed them could give me advice on how to do well? I want to go to University after and so I want to get the best grades possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most important tip: start working early.

Doesn't have to be crazy amounts of hours; as long as you maintain your revision throughout the year, it does not make exam season stressful.

It also depends on how your mentality is in terms of working hard.

Past Papers for subjects like Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths and others are VERY important!

Always ask the teacher for even the slightest of help, or any queries.

Actively revise. In the sciences, always question why? how? where? who? when? etc. to gain a deeper understanding.

For essay subjects, write out practice essays and ask teachers to mark them after revising. It's likely one might turn up in the exam!

Answer all the questions in the book. For Maths, as I said earlier, don't just do 2 or 3 past papers - do them all! Particularly, solomon papers.

Everything else depends on your nature of determination.

Nothing is hard in life, it just depends on your attitude and mentality.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jatz07)
      Most important tip: start working early.

Doesn't have to be crazy amounts of hours; as long as you maintain your revision throughout the year, it does not make exam season stressful.

It also depends on how your mentality is in terms of working hard.

Past Papers for subjects like Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths and others are VERY important!

Always ask the teacher for even the slightest of help, or any queries.

Actively revise. In the sciences, always question why? how? where? who? when? etc. to gain a deeper understanding.

For essay subjects, write out practice essays and ask teachers to mark them after revising. It's likely one might turn up in the exam!

Answer all the questions in the book. For Maths, as I said earlier, don't just do 2 or 3 past papers - do them all! Particularly, solomon papers.

Everything else depends on your nature of determination.

Nothing is hard in life, it just depends on your attitude and mentality.

Good Luck.
      Thanks for that! I was planning on revising and going over notes straight away because I don't want to slack off like what I did with my GCSE's, and I fear that might damage any chances of uni... Anyways, I've got summer work, so I'm just ensuring I thoroughly understand everything so I'm ready for September, and I know that most people will just look on the internet for answers and copy it down instead of ensuring they know the stuff.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Claree)
      What are your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I'm doing Business Studies, ICT, Government & Politics and History. I was hoping to do some sciences, but my sixth form wouldn't allow it because I'm predicted C in Maths (and how shocking is it that we are forced to resist it if we fail it! Some people (such as myself) really struggle with maths and get stressed easily when doing it) and English was in the same option block as ICT, and since I want to pursue a career of some sort in ICT I had to drop interest in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      It's true that different subjects will require different revision methods, but for most subjects I'd recommend making revision notes from the very start of the course, or you might end up having to make them all when revising for your exams. It's good to go over them and maybe rewrite a few to help you remember them when you're doing exams, but if you've done them before that'll be really useful.

I do essay subjects - I'd definitely recommend doing loads of practice essays and getting your teachers to look through them. Not only will this help to track your progress in terms of improvement, but it'll also help you to feel more confident and prepared for the exam, which is really important with essay subjects since you don't want to stress out during the exam because you're feeling scared. Also, look through mark schemes in good depth in order to get a good idea of what the examiners are looking for

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.