The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How to avoid becoming a victim of crime in Manchester?

Areas: I just went to visit Manchester for a few days. From what I observe Piccadilly Gardens seem to be a messier place. I thought the other side off the university (further down the theater) looked much civilized and had more older people walking around. But food seems more expensive there. Are my observations accurate or would you care to correct me? Is Piccadilly, like, more for clubbing? Where is the safest place (and also convenient place) to live in Manchester as a student? I thought living nearby the university would be safest, but it doesn't seem that living in Grosvenor hall or Victoria hall would enable me to get to a grocery store or takeaway restaurant in a few minutes walk. One would have to walk all the way to the MMU side. But is that side more dangerous?

Season: I've been to Manchester in the winter. It seemed that people are more serious then. Busy, going to work, being employed. But it just seems more dangerous in the summer. Am I right to assume that I dont have to worry that much in winter thus?

Self-defence: Interestingly, I noticed there are martial arts houses in piccadilly area - jeet jun do, taekwando. Should I learn martial arts before I get there? Is it common for people to find ways like this to defend themselves in manchester?

Genus: Are there not many chavs in manchester? One good thing is I don't think I saw any of those normal track-suit chavs. But I think I encountered a more sinister chav genus. Can anybody provide some info about the breeds of chavs that are common in manchester?
Damn man, this isn't Detroit. You certainly don't need to learn martial arts before you move to uni. Just be street-wise - don't walk around rough areas at night, avoid eye contact, cross the street if you think people around you could get violent etc etc.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine - hopefully. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending