Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Upgrading my laptop to an ssd and keep getting this error message. Using an external hard drive to restore the system image..

Name:  1404568636292.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  60.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirb)
    Upgrading my laptop to an ssd and keep getting this error message. Using an external hard drive to restore the system image..

Name:  1404568636292.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  60.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That could be why, just reinstall a fresh windows OS on to the ssd and then transfer any data you have from the hdd afterwards, as it seems like you are doing a system restore?

ReputationRep:
    You're better off doing a fresh install, moving the files over and reinstalling the programs. Windows might not change the settings needed for an SSD (like turning defragging off) if you restore from a non fresh copy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    That could be why, just reinstall a fresh windows OS on to the ssd and then transfer any data you have from the hdd afterwards, as it seems like you are doing a system restore?
    CD for OS didn't come with the laptop and I don't have a dvd drive anyway :l

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    CD for OS didn't come with the laptop and I don't have a dvd drive anyway :l

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-...rive-505769939

ReputationRep:
    "Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows."

I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. Is that included in this?
    Also, I don't have an activation key :s

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows."

I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. Is that included in this?
    Also, I don't have an activation key :s

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually doing a clean install can be problematic on a laptop if you don't have a driver disc or another laptop/computer that you use to connect to the internet.
    If you make a bootable USB you should be able to access windows repair. This might fix your issue.
    Your activation key should be on the laptop itself underneath. It'll be a sticker.

If you have 8.1 it's probably best to use the 8.1 ISO file. http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...-8-1-download/

Personally I would create a bootable windows 8.1 USB. Install it and possibly skip the product key part (you can skip it in windows 7 and do it later) then on another laptop or computer download all the drivers from the laptops website, stick them on a usb and then install them on your laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Actually doing a clean install can be problematic on a laptop if you don't have a driver disc or another laptop/computer that you use to connect to the internet.
    If you make a bootable USB you should be able to access windows repair. This might fix your issue.
    Your activation key should be on the laptop itself underneath. It'll be a sticker.

If you have 8.1 it's probably best to use the 8.1 ISO file. http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...-8-1-download/

Personally I would create a bootable windows 8.1 USB. Install it and possibly skip the product key part (you can skip it in windows 7 and do it later) then on another laptop or computer download all the drivers from the laptops website, stick them on a usb and then install them on your laptop.
    Right so:

1) create a bootable USB
    2) download drivers on another USB using another pc
    3) install windows 8.1 (by downloading it onto another USB/external hard drive?)

So I assume once I install the drivers the laptop will be able to read the USB with Windows on it and thus install it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right so:

1) create a bootable USB
    2) download drivers on another USB using another pc
    3) install windows 8.1 (by downloading it onto another USB/external hard drive?)

So I assume once I install the drivers the laptop will be able to read the USB with Windows on it and thus install it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No the driver install comes last. The laptop usually can't connect to the internet and will default to a really low resolution on the screen without the drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    No the driver install comes last. The laptop usually can't connect to the internet and will default to a really low resolution on the screen without the drivers.
    I'll try that then. I'm not the best at this sort of thing. Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.