Squirb
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Upgrading my laptop to an ssd and keep getting this error message. Using an external hard drive to restore the system image..

Name:  1404568636292.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  60.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Squirb)
Upgrading my laptop to an ssd and keep getting this error message. Using an external hard drive to restore the system image..

Name:  1404568636292.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  60.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
That could be why, just reinstall a fresh windows OS on to the ssd and then transfer any data you have from the hdd afterwards, as it seems like you are doing a system restore?
Camoxide
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You're better off doing a fresh install, moving the files over and reinstalling the programs. Windows might not change the settings needed for an SSD (like turning defragging off) if you restore from a non fresh copy.
Squirb
Rep:
(Original post by Iqbal007)
That could be why, just reinstall a fresh windows OS on to the ssd and then transfer any data you have from the hdd afterwards, as it seems like you are doing a system restore?
CD for OS didn't come with the laptop and I don't have a dvd drive anyway :l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camoxide
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
CD for OS didn't come with the laptop and I don't have a dvd drive anyway :l

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-...rive-505769939
Squirb
Rep:
"Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows."

I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. Is that included in this?
Also, I don't have an activation key :s

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camoxide
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
"Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows."

I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1. Is that included in this?
Also, I don't have an activation key :s

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually doing a clean install can be problematic on a laptop if you don't have a driver disc or another laptop/computer that you use to connect to the internet.
If you make a bootable USB you should be able to access windows repair. This might fix your issue.
Your activation key should be on the laptop itself underneath. It'll be a sticker.

If you have 8.1 it's probably best to use the 8.1 ISO file. http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...-8-1-download/

Personally I would create a bootable windows 8.1 USB. Install it and possibly skip the product key part (you can skip it in windows 7 and do it later) then on another laptop or computer download all the drivers from the laptops website, stick them on a usb and then install them on your laptop.
Squirb
Rep:
(Original post by Camoxide)
Actually doing a clean install can be problematic on a laptop if you don't have a driver disc or another laptop/computer that you use to connect to the internet.
If you make a bootable USB you should be able to access windows repair. This might fix your issue.
Your activation key should be on the laptop itself underneath. It'll be a sticker.

If you have 8.1 it's probably best to use the 8.1 ISO file. http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...-8-1-download/

Personally I would create a bootable windows 8.1 USB. Install it and possibly skip the product key part (you can skip it in windows 7 and do it later) then on another laptop or computer download all the drivers from the laptops website, stick them on a usb and then install them on your laptop.
Right so:

1) create a bootable USB
2) download drivers on another USB using another pc
3) install windows 8.1 (by downloading it onto another USB/external hard drive?)

So I assume once I install the drivers the laptop will be able to read the USB with Windows on it and thus install it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camoxide
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Right so:

1) create a bootable USB
2) download drivers on another USB using another pc
3) install windows 8.1 (by downloading it onto another USB/external hard drive?)

So I assume once I install the drivers the laptop will be able to read the USB with Windows on it and thus install it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No the driver install comes last. The laptop usually can't connect to the internet and will default to a really low resolution on the screen without the drivers.
Squirb
Rep:
(Original post by Camoxide)
No the driver install comes last. The laptop usually can't connect to the internet and will default to a really low resolution on the screen without the drivers.
I'll try that then. I'm not the best at this sort of thing. Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.53%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.35%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (217)
46.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.24%

Watched Threads