Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been wanting to do pharmacy for years but after extensive research the job market is poor, and i am being regularly reminded about it. All of my work experience is pharmacy and healthcare orientated so if i changed to chemistry or a science degree now wouldnt my chances of getting in be poor too? i'm not sure what to do.. Any help would be great. I'm applying for university to start the course in 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon12345678)
    All of my work experience is pharmacy and healthcare orientated so if i changed to chemistry or a science degree now wouldnt my chances of getting in be poor too? i'm not sure what to do.. Any help would be great. I'm applying for university to start the course in 2015
    No, it won't. I had literally no work experience in the field of Chemistry (or biochemistry, as I applied for mixed courses) and still got 4 offers. I was rejected from Durham but I'm sure it wasn't from lack of suitable work experience.

This is the bit I'm sure will be wrong haha;
    As for Pharmacy v Chemistry, Chemistry is much broader so if you're still not sure what you wish to do it's a wiser choice. I'm almost sure with a Chemistry degree that you can still work in pharmacy but you won't be a fully qualified Pharmacist.
    However, you sound fully towards Pharmacy except for the job prospects (which I thought were pretty good for Pharmacy! compared to Chemistry), I think you should go for Pharmacy despite the job market. You need to love what you're going to do for 3-4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon12345678)
    I have been wanting to do pharmacy for years but after extensive research the job market is poor, and i am being regularly reminded about it. All of my work experience is pharmacy and healthcare orientated so if i changed to chemistry or a science degree now wouldnt my chances of getting in be poor too? i'm not sure what to do.. Any help would be great. I'm applying for university to start the course in 2015
    It depends, pharmacy is a professional degree. Chemistry is much more versatile. IF you REALLY want to be a pharmacist then study pharmacy. The job market is bleak although I dont know if its much better with a chemistry degree, best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.