Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working at American Apparel Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a job interview for a sales assistant role and I was wondering whether anyone who works there/knows anyone working there could answer a few questions?

What is it like working for American Apparel? I'm hesitant due to the reputation (Dov Charney), how over-sexualised the company is and the sexual harassment that goes on there. I dress modestly by the way, so I'm not sure why I applied for a job there.

Should I go to the interview? I probably won't even get the job since I definitely do not look like a model.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloGoodbye)
    bump
    go to the interview anyway. Even if you do not get the job, you will still gain interview experience to help better prepare you for your next interview (whenever that should be).

Plus, if you do get the job, then great going! but if you dislike the company, just keep searching around for jobs and interviewing until you feel it's time to leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    go to the interview anyway. Even if you do not get the job, you will still gain interview experience to help better prepare you for your next interview (whenever that should be).

Plus, if you do get the job, then great going! but if you dislike the company, just keep searching around for jobs and interviewing until you feel it's time to leave
    Thanks for the reply! I got a call from Wallis this morning for an interview on the same day and an hour earlier than my interview at American Apparel, so I'm taking this as a sign to not go to the one at American Apparel haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloGoodbye)
    Thanks for the reply! I got a call from Wallis this morning for an interview on the same day and an hour earlier than my interview at American Apparel, so I'm taking this as a sign to not go to the one at American Apparel haha
    I would still go to both, if possible. You might find that Wallis don't offer you a job, whereas American Apparel will offer you a job, therefore if you go to Wallis and not AA, then you miss out on a job altogether. You might find that there are more benefits at AA than there are at Wallis. You never know

If possible, ask to re-arrange one of the interviews. It might just do you some good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.