Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a "best friend" and we became close friends during my first year of sixth form and we were super close and he was an amazing friend. When second year started he just started acting weird and competitive when the A Levels came around; when I was sick he wouldn't help me catch up on work by telling what I had missed and he'd ignore my texts because he said I was distracting him and forcing him to spend money by texting (??) and he used to give me his back in class even though he used to sit next to me. He also never wanted to lend me notes the teacher had given the whole class and which he was supposed to keep for me. And all through this time he still considered me as his best friend for some reason even though I was getting annoyed with his attitude.

He has a horrible computer game addiction which he's always had, but now it seems as if he has chosen computer games over us (my friends) and over me especially. I've been asking him if he wanted to hang out for weeks now and he never replies back because he said I was annoying him by texting him and he needed to focus on his games, or he'd keep postponing it to "tomorrow" or "next week". Yesterday we went out as a group and on our way back, my parents told me they'd pick me up late and we were in a bit of a rough area so I asked him if he could wait with me for 20 minutes (it was close to his house because I walked back to his house with him) and he said he was going to get some water and come back to wait with me but he left me there alone for half an hour and I was honestly terrified what with all the drunk/high people running around.

He also always makes me pay for stuff; we were at the restaurant yesterday and he ordered chocolate cake but he didn't have the money to pay for it so I ended up having to pay for it myself and he never gives us back the money because he says he doesn't want to spend money.

I'm honestly so fed up of him and I just can't take him anymore. I'm trying to be his friend but he's pushing me away. He's not introverted or has social anxiety, he's one of the most shameless people I've ever met really. But I just find it ridiculous that he chose some virtual characters over me (his supposed best friend).

I had invited him to come over to swim at my house (for next Tuesday) but I'm so fed up of him that I kind of want to cancel it and just stop talking to him.

Am I being rational though?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother trying to be friends with him. He's not a proper friend. Try finding people who actually are friends.

ReputationRep:
    You are being rational. Nothing you have said indicates that he is a good friend. I'd just stop talking to him and move on with life. Sometimes friendships end for the better.

ReputationRep:
    From what you have said he really doesn't seem like much of a friend. It seems pretty one sided which friendships should not be! It may be hard, but it may be time to drift way from the friendship and focus on your other friends!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.