Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't really receive any info from Aber regarding how I should handle student finance, or maybe I just missed it. In the booklet they gave me months ago it only lists the Student Finance Wales website and how the loan and repayment process works but I didn't see how and when I should apply for it.

In my initial application form for Aber I selected that I will be taking a loan, they never really mentioned Student Finance at all since then.

I mailed [email protected] and they pointed me to the gov.uk site for some reason, and that I should ask questions there.

So right now I'm quite confused as to what I'm supposed to do, I went ahead and created an account on Student Finance Wales and filled out the whole application for the loan and grants. I haven't sent it in yet, because I'm not sure if that's how I'm supposed to do this whole loan situation.

So if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it! Should I just send the application from Student Finance Wales in or was I supposed to do something completely different?

Sorry for being such a bundle of confusion.

ReputationRep:
    It's a separate process from applying to uni, and I agree it's confusing, but I did this a month or so ago and have just got as far as an acknowledgement from Student Finance Services, so it seems to be going OK.

Form EU14N and the EU Certifier checklist form need to be sent in as soon as possible. The sooner you send them, the more likely you are to get the money in time.

On the general New Students part of the Student Finance Wales website it says you should have applied by 16 May to be sure to get the money in time. It doesn't mention this date on the EU Students part of the website, but I would hurry up and apply to be on the safe side. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I called the EU student finance team as well and they told me that I was filling out the wrong form, and they lead me to the correct one. I printed it all out already and I'll fill it in and send it with everything this week as soon as possible.

The deadline is confusing, I didn't even finish school by May 16th, idk how I was supposed to apply for loans before I even knew if I got in :/ on the EU14N site it only says that we can also apply 9 months after our course (no mention of the previously specified date), so I'm not sure what to believe right now.

Quite a confusing procedure and the info on it is a bit scarce and not clear, but I'm the right path now so it's fine I think.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it a lot! I'll get this all sorted out asap.

By the way, this certifier form, do I need to give it to someone else here to sign it or will someone sign it over there?

And bank wise, I've got to create a bank account in one of the UK's banks right? Can I do that from the internet or do I got to do it from over there when I move to Aber?

Sorry for the many questions, I just wanna do everything right.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look back at the forms. How the certifier form works is explained in the EU Evidence Factsheet (on the same web page as the other forms). Basically any copies of documents you send to prove your identity/nationality have to be certified as true copies.

The factsheet says: A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document which must have been stamped, signed and dated as being a true copy of the original by a person of good standing in the community.
    It gives some examples of who this could be (teacher, accountant etc).

So you have to find someone to do this and then they also have to fill in, stamp and sign, the certifier form. Then (at last...) you can send everything in together.

ReputationRep:
    Right, thank you, I appreciate it a lot.

Basically when I send the documents in for translation, I also give them the Certifier form and ask them to sign and stamp it, since I'll be sending in copies of the originals.

I'm reading through everything in the documents and I'm very focused while doing so, but I'm dyslexic and I really mix things up a lot and I get confused at some sentences and I over-complicate them, which makes understanding what is actually meant difficult. My family isn't really big on English so they can't help, and calling the EU Student Finance team for 10 minutes drains my phone bill 3 times as much as I'd pay in a month. It'll be fine when I'm in the UK since I can ask for clarification all I want then :P right now I'm just out of options really.

So I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking silly questions, I don't want to look like I'm not serious about this.

But yeah, I think I got everything. I filled the forms out today, I have to hand the income of my parents in for translation and then tell the translator to sign the certifier form. I copy the other evidence then (ID's and all that), certify that, and send it all in.

Thanks again, everything should be fine from now on.

ReputationRep:
    We are all English speaking and it was still a family effort to get this done, so I'm not surprised you are confused.

I only applied for the fee grant on the same form, not the tuition fee loan. Are you sure you have to give details of your parents income there? Sorry, I am not an expert - maybe I missed where it says that.

You also asked about a bank account. I'll try and find out from people who went last year as i haven't done anything about it yet.

ReputationRep:
    I mailed [email protected] just in case. Their response said that the Bursaries are paid by the University itself, but the Aberystwyth Bursary is dependent on the financial information I provide Student Finance with. So basically I have to send in the proof of my parents' income and I can tick a box on the loan form where I choose to share or not share all the details with Aber. I guess they do everything from there then.

Also, isn't the Tuition Fee Grant the difference added between the Fee Loan and the rest that's left for the whole Tuition Fee? As far as I understood, it is added automatically if you apply for the Fee Loan. So by applying for a loan and asking for the max amount, they will also give me the difference needed to pay the whole tuition fee?

Bank wise I think you can only complete that when you're actually there, I did a bit of research and that's how I understood it. I'll try find someone who studies there and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about the bursaries, but it sounds like you are doing fine now.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iv000)
    I mailed [email protected] just in case. Their response said that the Bursaries are paid by the University itself, but the Aberystwyth Bursary is dependent on the financial information I provide Student Finance with. So basically I have to send in the proof of my parents' income and I can tick a box on the loan form where I choose to share or not share all the details with Aber. I guess they do everything from there then.

Also, isn't the Tuition Fee Grant the difference added between the Fee Loan and the rest that's left for the whole Tuition Fee? As far as I understood, it is added automatically if you apply for the Fee Loan. So by applying for a loan and asking for the max amount, they will also give me the difference needed to pay the whole tuition fee?

Bank wise I think you can only complete that when you're actually there, I did a bit of research and that's how I understood it. I'll try find someone who studies there and ask.
    Hi Iv000,

I really wish I could be more help with all this... I'm afraid I'm not an expert at all in the matters of Student Finance. I do however have this blog that may help (or not) http://goingtouni2014.blogspot.co.uk...inance-uk.html

I would suggest that you need to talk to someone in Student Finance (here in Aberystwyth) but I totally understand that this is an expensive option for you.

I can help you a little bit with bursaries though... See here: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarship.../aber-bursary/ You're right, the Aberystwyth is "means tested". So depending on the information you provide will determine how much you will receive.

Student bank account wise I think you can only do this if you're in the country...

Sorry I haven't been much help. If you need anymroe help just let me know and I'll try and help you as much as I can

Best regards,
    James
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawkmoth)
    I don't know anything about the bursaries, but it sounds like you are doing fine now.
    Thanks for helping out hawkmoth!

James

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.