Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Put all the teams in the PL under an umbrella according to style of play? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The categories are:

Attacking Football e.g. Liverpool(last season,as in goals galore no sitting back and defending)

Counter Attacking football e.g. Chelsea/Stoke

High Pressing or Gegenpressing e.g. Southampton/Dortmund

Possession football(like tiki taka,greater empathizes on passing)

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea only play counter-attacking football against the big teams. They don't really have a style, Mou seems to change it depending on the game.

ReputationRep:
    what about the following teamswansea,Arsenal,Liverpool,Mnaches ter United,Southampton,Everton,Totte nham,Manchester City,Stoke,Newcastle,Leciester City,Burnely,QPR.

ReputationRep:
    Hull City and Crystal Palace too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    The categories are:

Attacking Football e.g. Liverpool(last season,as in goals galore no sitting back and defending)

Counter Attacking football e.g. Chelsea/Stoke

High Pressing or Gegenpressing e.g. Southampton/Dortmund

Possession football(like tiki taka,greater empathizes on passing)

Pressing;Soton, Everton, Swansea
    Attacking: City, Liverpool, Spurs
    Possession: Arsenal
    Counter: Palace, Stoke, Villa, Sunderland
    Negative: Chelsea, WHU

The rest of division are less easily identified, cant really describe what Utd played last season for instance but normally Utd under Fergie played standard attacking football with focus on wing play.

Teams like WBA, Newcastle are pragmatic and change from week to week.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    The rest of division are less easily identified, cant really describe what Utd played last season for instance.
    I think the less said about that, the better...

ReputationRep:

The rest of division are less easily identified, cant really describe what Utd played last season for instance but normally Utd under Fergie played standard attacking football with focus on wing play.

Chelsea scored more goals than arsenal though. Shouldn't arsenal be in negative

City are the best possession team and attacking team so they can be both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Chelsea scored more goals than arsenal though. Shouldn't arsenal be in negative

City are the best possession team and attacking team so they can be both
    Holland have scored more than Coloumbia at this world cup, but which one was set up to attack and which to play on the counter? Goals aren't the entire story.

Anyone who watched Arsenal at home vs Bayern, Napoli or BVB and compared with say Chelsea at home vs A.Madrid or PSG in the CL will be in no doubt over the philosophy of the 2 teams for example. Chelsea went to Old Trafford and got the draw they craved, Arsenal went for the win. Arsenal went to the Ethihad and played out a 6-3, Chelsea played for a clean sheet and everything else was a bonus. Use your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Holland have scored more than Coloumbia at this world cup, but which one was set up to attack and which to play on the counter? Goals aren't the entire story.

Anyone who watched Arsenal at home vs Bayern, Napoli or BVB and compared with say Chelsea at home vs A.Madrid or PSG in the CL will be in no doubt over the philosophy of the 2 teams for example. Chelsea went to Old Trafford and got the draw they craved, Arsenal went for the win. Arsenal went to the Ethihad and played out a 6-3, Chelsea played for a clean sheet and everything else was a bonus. Use your eyes.
    How about arsenal parking the bus vs bayern, dortmund, Napoli away, spurs,

Or does that not fit your narrative?

Netherlands are set up to counter the same way chelsea do in big games. Bias again I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I think the less said about that, the better...

ReputationRep:
    Man that moment in the Fulham game gave me goosebumps...

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal park the bus against good teams. Pass it about a bit then lose the ball but it doesn't matter because they park the bus. Eventually the other team makes a mistake and someone will knick a scabby goal.

Chelsea don't have a style of play. It's just chuck as much money as possible onto the pitch and hope they can figure things out on their own. I'd love to see Mourinho manage Preston, he'd get sacked after a month.

Liverpool and City play pretty nice football. Although losing Bitez is going to hit them hard next season. I hope Sturridge steps up.

Spurs have been awful for the last couple of seasons. But I reckon they're going to dominate this season with Pochettino. His training methods and ball retention, attacking style of play worked wonder for Southampton. Spurs have a very good squad so I reckon they'll finish top 3.

United had a blip last season. That was it. Whether it was Moyes or the players, I don't know. But LVG should sort them out. They probably won't finish top. But maybe 2nd.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    what about the following teamswansea,Arsenal,Liverpool,Mnaches ter United,Southampton,Everton,Totte nham,Manchester City,Stoke,Newcastle,Leciester City,Burnely,QPR.

No idea who they are, but Leicester City are pretty much impossible to fit under any of those umbrellas. Last season we were relentlessly attacking, but played a close range passing game (fewer long balls than any other team in the division), and with the sheer pace we had going forward (Vardy is blistering, and frankly Lloyd Dyer should have been an Olympic sprinter) we took advantage of teams on the counter quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    my mistake.What teams in the PL play the most attacking football in the prem.

ReputationRep:

Chelsea are more pragmatic than anything.

Spurs aren't attacking football either, they're defensive possession most of the time.

United played run and cross mixed with defensive possession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael!)
    Arsenal park the bus against good teams. Pass it about a bit then lose the ball but it doesn't matter because they park the bus. Eventually the other team makes a mistake and someone will knick a scabby goal.

Chelsea don't have a style of play. It's just chuck as much money as possible onto the pitch and hope they can figure things out on their own. I'd love to see Mourinho manage Preston, he'd get sacked after a month.

Liverpool and City play pretty nice football. Although losing Bitez is going to hit them hard next season. I hope Sturridge steps up.

Spurs have been awful for the last couple of seasons. But I reckon they're going to dominate this season with Pochettino. His training methods and ball retention, attacking style of play worked wonder for Southampton. Spurs have a very good squad so I reckon they'll finish top 3.

United had a blip last season. That was it. Whether it was Moyes or the players, I don't know. But LVG should sort them out. They probably won't finish top. But maybe 2nd.
    How can you say Mourinho would be sacked after a month? He is clearly a pragmatic and resourceful coach, who employs a successful reactive style of management which means that his team is often better set up than the opposition. Wenger may be a good manager, but his tactics are sometimes too idealistic; just look at the 6-0 defeat to Chelsea, the gulf in class between the two clubs is not that great on paper, it was mainly down to his tactics.

ReputationRep:

Yes you can, easily.

Bad football.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle can play some great fast counter attacking football, but it wasn't seen in the second half of last season post-Cabaye. In this time, the play was stunted and slow, no movement, no danger, no innovative thinking, causing them to win just 4 games out of 15 and slump into 10th place.

With the addition of Cabella, De Jong, Riviere and Janmaat, it should return to the way it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    How about arsenal parking the bus vs bayern, dortmund, Napoli away, spurs,

Or does that not fit your narrative?

Netherlands are set up to counter the same way chelsea do in big games. Bias again I see
    Holland were set up to counter against Australia and against Costa Rica, not just in big games...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Holland were set up to counter against Australia and against Costa Rica, not just in big games...
    No they weren't? Australia game was fairly end to end and they completely dominated possession vs Costa Rica

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.