The Student Room Group

Additional further maths

I'm thinking if doing a maths degree at university, so I was thinking of doing additional further maths (m3,4,5). Does anyone have an advice.
Original post by Trouty97
I'm thinking if doing a maths degree at university, so I was thinking of doing additional further maths (m3,4,5). Does anyone have an advice.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Maths forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 2

There's no right "answer" to this!

How far advanced are you? Are you just about to start AS or have you already completed AS?

Extra applied modules won't necessarily benefit you, but if you enjoy Mechanics then by all means study it (you don't have to take exams at the end!!). Of course, you could do M3, M4, M5 as part of standard FM and not have to worry about AFM too!

Be aware that resources are more limited for the higher modules and you may have less teacher support.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up with an unmanageable workload or jeopardize your other subjects!
Reply 3

I self-taught all 18 modules (Edexcel) and of them found M4 and M5 the hardest, but equally the most interesting, particularly the rotational dynamics in M5. If you learn M4 and M5 whilst still at school then I guess when you come across the stuff at uni you'll be at a bit of an advantage. :smile: I didn't spend very much time learning maths (I learnt each module either in the holidays or when on study leave) so for me it didn't infringe upon my other subjects. As long as that's not going to be an issue then you might as well learn M3-5. :smile:

If you're doing Edexcel (it might be the same case on other boards as well), then M4 requires FP2 knowledge (first and second order differential equations form a large part of M4), and M5 requires both FP2 knowledge and a bit of FP3 vectors, so you'd have to do FP2/the relevant parts of FP2 (and it would be sensible to do FP3 as well) before doing M4 and M5.

If you're thinking of applying to Cambridge then having done M3-5 may be useful for STEP. :tongue:

Are you thinking of doing just the AS additional further maths or the whole A level?
Reply 4
Original post by davros
There's no right "answer" to this!

How far advanced are you? Are you just about to start AS or have you already completed AS?

Extra applied modules won't necessarily benefit you, but if you enjoy Mechanics then by all means study it (you don't have to take exams at the end!!). Of course, you could do M3, M4, M5 as part of standard FM and not have to worry about AFM too!

Be aware that resources are more limited for the higher modules and you may have less teacher support.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up with an unmanageable workload or jeopardize your other subjects!

I have just finished AS. I don't think that the workload will be a problem because I spend most of my time at school playing cards in my study period, so if I cut that back a bit, I should be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Claree
I self-taught all 18 modules (Edexcel) and of them found M4 and M5 the hardest, but equally the most interesting, particularly the rotational dynamics in M5. If you learn M4 and M5 whilst still at school then I guess when you come across the stuff at uni you'll be at a bit of an advantage. :smile: I didn't spend very much time learning maths (I learnt each module either in the holidays or when on study leave) so for me it didn't infringe upon my other subjects. As long as that's not going to be an issue then you might as well learn M3-5. :smile:

If you're doing Edexcel (it might be the same case on other boards as well), then M4 requires FP2 knowledge (first and second order differential equations form a large part of M4), and M5 requires both FP2 knowledge and a bit of FP3 vectors, so you'd have to do FP2/the relevant parts of FP2 (and it would be sensible to do FP3 as well) before doing M4 and M5.

If you're thinking of applying to Cambridge then having done M3-5 may be useful for STEP. :tongue:

Are you thinking of doing just the AS additional further maths or the whole A level?

I was thinking of only doing to AS because I don't fancy s3 or 4 nor am I interested in doing d2
Reply 6
I was thinking of only doing to AS because I don't fancy s3 or 4 nor am I interested in doing d2

Okay :smile: Just in case this is relevant to you, I was originally planning to possibly just do those three modules (being the most useful) if I didn't have enough time to do all 6, but S3 and 4 are actually really easy and short (took me a couple of days each to learn) - nothing like the difficulty of M3-5 - and D2 is also comparatively easy (basically a memory test of the method of solving 7 different problem types). If you're very mathematically able (and if you're doing M4/5 you probably are!), then you might find it to be a similar case. Would you be self- teaching? :smile:

So I realised that once I'd done M4-5 and S2, that was most the work for the A level and I might as well do the whole A level, since the extra work was negligible! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Claree
Okay :smile: Just in case this is relevant to you, I was originally planning to possibly just do those three modules (being the most useful) if I didn't have enough time to do all 6, but S3 and 4 are actually really easy and short (took me a couple of days each to learn) - nothing like the difficulty of M3-5 - and D2 is also comparatively easy (basically a memory test of the method of solving 7 different problem types). If you're very mathematically able (and if you're doing M4/5 you probably are!), then you might find it to be a similar case. Would you be self- teaching? :smile:

So I realised that once I'd done M4-5 and S2, that was most the work for the A level and I might as well do the whole A level, since the extra work was negligible! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I would be self teaching.
Doing the full a level would certainly be something to consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest