Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel really stupid asking this but does the reference number go before or after the full stop.

I was under the belief that it always went before the full stop, however I just checked up on the style guidelines and it say after the full stop.

I've done some searches and it sees the referencing is either? I'm quite worried I don't know which to go for and don't want to get marked down for my thesis.

ReputationRep:
    Follow the style guide supplied by the uni you're attached to. If in doubt, ask your supervisor(s). There's no single standard referencing system which is used by all UK universities, so always stick to your local guidelines.

Different referencing systems use different syntax for their references, which is why wider searching will just confuse you further.

ReputationRep:
    Follow the your university guidelines. Having said that, it should really be before the full stop. Any university putting it afterwards is odd and I fully agree with you. But yeah, don't lose marks over these things, just follow what they say.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.