Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who had summer jobs after GCSEs (and any after that): some questions. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start Year 11 in September and I was wondering if I should start thinking about whether or not to get a summer job (and whether to stay with it afterwards).

Anybody that had one, how much did you earn (altogether preferably) and where did you work? Would you recommend the place/getting a summer job?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealInjustice)
    I'm going to start Year 11 in September and I was wondering if I should start thinking about whether or not to get a summer job (and whether to stay with it afterwards).

Anybody that had one, how much did you earn (altogether preferably) and where did you work? Would you recommend the place/getting a summer job?

Thanks.
    You should only really consider applying for a job, in my opinion, in June when you're in Year 11 AND when you are 16. This is the minimum school leaving age, and the age at which most companies will hire you (because otherwise it's a lot of hassle hiring you, filling out paperwork, plus you're not entitled to National Minimum Wage).

Anyway, I've had my job in retail since I left secondary school and I'm still at it. I'm on NMW but have the opportunity to earn commission based on product sales, and I also get quarterly bonuses based on the amount of hours worked per week. I won't state the name of the company I work for (although if you stalk me enough, it's not hard to find), but yes I'd definitely recommend getting a job at this stage (and not before year 11 - even though it's unlikely to find a place to hire you at that point in time). I'm at uni now, and my employers let me come back during the holidays to work still. The hours are flexible to an extent, and I liked the fact that I could work around my college studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    You should only really consider applying for a job, in my opinion, in June when you're in Year 11 AND when you are 16. This is the minimum school leaving age, and the age at which most companies will hire you (because otherwise it's a lot of hassle hiring you, filling out paperwork, plus you're not entitled to National Minimum Wage).

Anyway, I've had my job in retail since I left secondary school and I'm still at it. I'm on NMW but have the opportunity to earn commission based on product sales, and I also get quarterly bonuses based on the amount of hours worked per week. I won't state the name of the company I work for (although if you stalk me enough, it's not hard to find), but yes I'd definitely recommend getting a job at this stage (and not before year 11 - even though it's unlikely to find a place to hire you at that point in time). I'm at uni now, and my employers let me come back during the holidays to work still. The hours are flexible to an extent, and I liked the fact that I could work around my college studies
    Well I'll turn 16 in October so that's no problem. If I want a job by June, when would you recommend I apply? I have loads of massive stores near me (Tesco, McDonald's, ASDA etc) which I'd rather go to than a corner shop so would they be harder to get into?
    So you're a salesman then? Would that be hard to get into since there's others with experience that are also competing for the job? How many hours did you work a week on average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealInjustice)
    Well I'll turn 16 in October so that's no problem. If I want a job by June, when would you recommend I apply? I have loads of massive stores near me (Tesco, McDonald's, ASDA etc) which I'd rather go to than a corner shop so would they be harder to get into?
    So you're a salesman then? Would that be hard to get into since there's others with experience that are also competing for the job? How many hours did you work a week on average?
    It's more realistic to have a job by the end of June, not by June, due to the minimum legal working age requirements, but I would suggest you apply at the end of May/beginning of June. As for competition, I would say a supermarket is less competitive as the corner shop might only have one or two vacancies to the supermarkets 10+, however more people will be aware of the supermarket vacancies than the corner shop, so it could go either way.

Aye, I'm a Sales Assistant. It's not hard - I had no previous retail experience before getting my job but I got all the training I needed. Before, I was working 4 hours a week at a weekend (had a girlfriend at the time who I could only see at the weekend due to her being in the year below, and also due to college). Now, when I'm not at uni, I do more than 20 hours a week. Last week I did 37.5 hours and this week I'd think I'm touching 40 hours in total. I have been known to do more than 50 hours in a week like I did last summer, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.