Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fitness seems to be going down? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So the past five or so months (bar about 3 weeks where I injured my back) I've been working out a lot more, I go running 5 times a week (I mix up 5Ks, running at high inclines on the treadmill, sprints etc.) for ~30 mins at fairly high intensity and also do (split) resistance training at the gym about 5 times a week for about an hour.

I have made a lot of progress in both, however the problem is that the past 2 or 3 weeks my fitness seems to have gone down noticeably. Even at slower paces I struggle to finish the 5K runs, today I had to have a rest after 2K (haven't noticed much of a loss of strength though)

I eat right, sleep plenty, etc. Which makes me think there are only a few possibilities-

a)I'm just having a bad few weeks / loss in motivation to really push myself

b)I'm overtraining (thought this was a myth to a certain extent, I didn't think I did enough to constitute overtraining and I don't have particularly sore muscles or feel ill etc)

c)It's just a little fluctuation and I just need to push myself harder, do more HIIT etc.

Any thoughts? Any help'd be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    It may be overtraining if other than this you have been feeling well generally. Similar thing happened to me I would go for a run (5km) and beat my personal best/ find it relatively easy then obviously this motivated me and so again I would do 5km the next day but for some reason find it significantly more difficult. Turns out I have a really slow recovery time between runs for most people missing a few days out would make the run harder but for me I always seem to beat a personal best if I leave 2-3 day between runs. Not sure why I now run every other day with no running on the rest day and even then it's not as good as when I leave 2-3 days. I'd be interesting in knowing how to reduce your recovery time or does that just happen with more practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    So the past five or so months (bar about 3 weeks where I injured my back) I've been working out a lot more, I go running 5 times a week (I mix up 5Ks, running at high inclines on the treadmill, sprints etc.) for ~30 mins at fairly high intensity and also do (split) resistance training at the gym about 5 times a week for about an hour.

I have made a lot of progress in both, however the problem is that the past 2 or 3 weeks my fitness seems to have gone down noticeably. Even at slower paces I struggle to finish the 5K runs, today I had to have a rest after 2K (haven't noticed much of a loss of strength though)

I eat right, sleep plenty, etc. Which makes me think there are only a few possibilities-

a)I'm just having a bad few weeks / loss in motivation to really push myself

b)I'm overtraining (thought this was a myth to a certain extent, I didn't think I did enough to constitute overtraining and I don't have particularly sore muscles or feel ill etc)

c)It's just a little fluctuation and I just need to push myself harder, do more HIIT etc.

Any thoughts? Any help'd be appreciated
    Almost certainly overtraining; though plateaus do occur naturally in training if you're fitness has decreased over such a period of time I'd strongly suggest cutting down for even just a week and seeing how you feel; maybe just twice this next week.

Just one thing, you say you run high intensity for 30 minutes, so you never do medium-intensity steady state training? I used to use that as my rest day; just jog 5-10k at a pace where you could conduct a conversation. It might be your body getting used to the same type of training and you need to shake things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    x.
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    x.
    Thanks for the replies, I was kind of hope it wasn't overtraining. I set a PB after I had a 3 week break from hurting my back so I guess I should have noticed that. I don't do a great deal of steady state cardio so I might go for a few slower runs, especially if I need to cut down for a while.

Also, do you guys think I need to limit the resistance training while I'm cutting down on the cardio or do you think I could carry on as normal in that regard and just not run as much?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely over training. I'd recommend having an overload period for 3 weeks where you train pretty hard most days with some days for recovery. Then have a recovery week where you cut down on the intensity and time. Also I'd recommend having a good stretching routine and completing that 3 times a day, it will really help increase your recovery time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    Thanks for the replies, I was kind of hope it wasn't overtraining. I set a PB after I had a 3 week break from hurting my back so I guess I should have noticed that. I don't do a great deal of steady state cardio so I might go for a few slower runs, especially if I need to cut down for a while.

Also, do you guys think I need to limit the resistance training while I'm cutting down on the cardio or do you think I could carry on as normal in that regard and just not run as much?
    Depends if you're getting weaker and why you're doing resistance training. If you want to get stronger as well as fitter, and haven't seen drops off in gains, then should be OK to keep it up. In my experience though, using the same training regime for more than a couple months gets diminishing returns and changing things up has reaped better results.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Have some more rest days and get on a decent 3 day a week programme, you'll stop being over trained. There's no need to be in the gym 5 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks for the responses guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.