Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    UCL suggests the total of 1288 pounds as the adequate monthly living expenses for its students. Do you all agree with this value?

I was calculating a total expenditure of 1000 pounds per month, much due to the fact that I'll be living close to UCL, so I won't need to spend much on transport.

Do you guys think that UCL's figures are correct? I see it as an exaggeration, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was paying something around £130 per week for rent, £60 for food and £20 was for additional stuff (entertainment, books, etc.). I used to pay £20 a week for transport, but then I decided to walk to most places and save.

I think living under £1,000 a month is possible if you are modest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Last year I was paying something around £130 per week for rent, £60 for food and £20 was for additional stuff (entertainment, books, etc.). I used to pay £20 a week for transport, but then I decided to walk to most places and save.

I think living under £1,000 a month is possible if you are modest.
    That seems to be enough for me, the only problem I'm having is accommodation, I can't find a single room for less than 150, and that's the only requirement I won't negociate. Still, I think I'll manage to pay less than 1000 pm. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    That seems to be enough for me, the only problem I'm having is accommodation, I can't find a single room for less than 150, and that's the only requirement I won't negociate. Still, I think I'll manage to pay less than 1000 pm. Thanks for the help!
    I'm afraid that it would be like looking for a needle in hay :erm: Maybe if you tried private housing, you'd find something, but then again, it would be located out of the centre...

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that it would be like looking for a needle in hay :erm: Maybe if you tried private housing, you'd find something, but then again, it would be located out of the centre...
    Yep. Do you have any suggestions (of neighbourhoods) to stay? The accommodations I have applied so far are all comprised in the Bloomsbury area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    Yep. Do you have any suggestions (of neighbourhoods) to stay? The accommodations I have applied so far are all comprised in the Bloomsbury area.
    I know that loads of UCLers live in Camden.

ReputationRep:
    I know that loads of UCLers live in Camden.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look for something in there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.