The Student Room Group

I failed my degree and I don't know what to do

Really need some help here guys :frown:

I failed my degree, it was quite bad I only passed 3 modules, 60, 59 and 57 % and failed my other 4, one of which is worth 2 modules as its my project and dissertation.
I thought I was gonna pass, even bought tickets to the graduation ceremoney and everything.

The only thing I can currenly do right now is resit out of attendance. Pay £65 per exam to do so, but this is all the way next year. And having calculated the percetange, even if I pass all the exams I will end up with a 2:3 classification for my degree.

I am seriously under stress and have no idea what my next step is?
Do I try to get a job and just do the resit and end with a degree which has very little weight.
Do I simply just give up and get a job, having wasted 3 years of life.
The other option which someone is also pushing me towards is to not even bother with the resit and do another degree, another 3 years of life, while I would have no working life experience until I'm 24.

Genuinely speaking, is there anyone who has been in my position or anyone who could offer advise?

I really wanted to original aim for financial services, but that seems out the window and I really wanna push for a placement in the remaining time period but I am not sure where it will lead me :frown:
How did you do so badly?
Reply 3
Original post by leedswest
How did you do so badly?

Well to be fair, it was a degree that I chose in clearing only reason being that some parts interested me, but as the years went on, it just got boring and long, loss of motivation.

And in the last year I did have some issues with health, had some extensions, however the project extension was put right in the middle of exams along with a demo of my project inbetween 3 exams.
I think you should at least do the exams to get something from your degree, just get some good work experience. And i hope all goes well for you!
2.3 classification...

Do you mean 2.2 or 3rd?
If I was in your situation, I would do another 3 years of a course that I like no matter what age I finish. There's no point in paying £65 per exam to end up with a bad grade. But... If you are going to do another course check with student finance to see whether you can still get funding. If I don't do another course then I'd try to get a job.

Sorry if I didn't help you and good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by King Leonidas
2.3 classification...

Do you mean 2.2 or 3rd?

A third :frown:
1 ensure you finish your exams - the 65 quid really isn't relevant.

2 Try to get some useful work experience in the meantime

3 If the UK doesn't get you any work due to your low grades, apply to places outside of the UK, where they won't understand the grade system as well.
Original post by WorldPharmacist
If I was in your situation, I would do another 3 years of a course that I like no matter what age I finish. There's no point in paying £65 per exam to end up with 2.iii grade. But... If you are going to do another course check with student finance to see whether you can still get funding. If I don't do another course then I'd get try a job.

Sorry if I didn't help you and good luck!

The only issue with that is that you can only get funding for your degree + one year (so 4 years for most people). Unfortunately the government won't pay for someone to do two undergraduate degrees.

Edit: The OP could try studying in a different country with lower or no tuition fees though I suppose.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Donald Duck
1 ensure you finish your exams - the 65 quid really isn't relevant.

2 Try to get some useful work experience in the meantime

3 If the UK doesn't get you any work due to your low grades, apply to places outside of the UK, where they won't understand the grade system as well.

I have set up a careers appointment with the uni careers department, however I am sceptical about any decent job placement due to my grades. However I do have loads of voluntary experience.

I am quite worried about going abroad as well, it's just I am really really messed up and well the way I see it is that I am gonna be left behind and with a dead end job.

Original post by xmarilynx
The only issue with that is that you can only get funding for your degree + one year (so 4 years for most people). Unfortunately the government won't pay for someone to do two undergraduate degrees.

Edit: The OP could try studying in a different country with lower or no tuition fees though I suppose.

I really do not want another degree honestly, its another 3 years of my life and more worrying. I think I could be eligible as I didnt take out any of the loans and only the grant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending