ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    No reminders are not a card. They're a reminder. Similar to Alerts under the old system.

They eventually contribute but only if you get 5 in quick succession and even then they only give you one yellow card of which you need to get 3 to get a temp ban.

The aim is after a reminder you will realise theres a rule on that and not break it again future,
    How long is "quick succession"?

A month?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, didn't give exact time,Yes, it's a month for reminders, That's needing to get more than 1 a week for it to do anything and escalate.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, didn't give exact time,Yes, it's a month for reminders, That's needing to get more than 1 a week for it to do anything and escalate.
    Wow... that's a long time for "reminder" to be active.

Just saying. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Wow... that's a long time for "reminder" to be active.

Just saying. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You reckon? How long would you have them last for?

At this rate you can still get a reminder every week and nothing will ever be escalated.

We're open to feedback on everything.

ReputationRep:
    You reckon? How long would you have them last for?

At this rate you can still get a reminder every week and nothing will ever be escalated.

We're open to feedback on everything.
    No, I don't even think a concept such as "Reminders" should exist because they have the same outcome as a blue card (I.e escalation leading to a yellow card) but they are just categorised as "reminders" to seem a tad bit less daunting.
    Why have them at all?
    The aim of the "reminders" is absolutely useless as many people will yet again break the same rules such as 'off-topic/constructive post' etc as these are bound to happen (not to mention, the fact that off topic is subjective in its very nature) in most cases especially in the debate section.

Hence why I am suggesting, you should get rid of the "reminders" because it is absolute bullocks and helps neither the moderation of the forums or the fact that people should understand their mistakes.

But of course, you'll just tell me how these "Reminders" work?!
    I await.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't even think a concept such as "Reminders" should exist because they have the same outcome as a blue card (I.e escalation leading to a yellow card) but they are just categorised as "reminders" to seem a tad bit less daunting.
    Why have them at all?
    The aim of the "reminders" is absolutely useless as many people will yet again break the same rules such as 'off-topic/constructive post' etc as these are bound to happen (not to mention, the fact that off topic is subjective in its very nature) in most cases especially in the debate section.

Hence why I am suggesting, you should get rid of the "reminders" because it is absolute bullocks and helps neither the moderation of the forums or the fact that people should understand their mistakes.

But of course, you'll just tell me how these "Reminders" work?!
    I await.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The firs bit is true. They are the same as what blue cards were but reminders is a nicer name for it.

Often they're not useless since if someone avoids the swear filter once accidentally, we tell them with a reminder and then they don't do it again in future.

Off-topic/Offensiveness do both have elements of subjectiveness that's true. It's up to the discretion of the mod team but by people getting remidner this should help show them where the line is?

What would you do instead of reminders? Just let the little stuff go with no penalty and then hit people with yellow cards after a while? Give them yellow cards instead? Do away with all rules and let the forum descend into anarchy like 4chan?

ReputationRep:
    The firs bit is true. They are the same as what blue cards were but reminders is a nicer name for it.

Often they're not useless since if someone avoids the swear filter once accidentally, we tell them with a reminder and then they don't do it again in future.

Off-topic/Offensiveness do both have elements of subjectiveness that's true. It's up to the discretion of the mod team but by people getting remidner this should help show them where the line is?

What would you do instead of reminders? Just let the little stuff go with no penalty and then hit people with yellow cards after a while? Give them yellow cards instead? Do away with all rules and let the forum descend into anarchy like 4chan?
    Yet I disagree, whether 'reminders' are "a nicer name" or not shouldn't be even a reason for mods to evade the fact that these so called 'reminders' are providing the least benefits to the moderation of this student forum and that we should be investing our time in dealing with joke frenzies of trolls displaying serious forms of racism instead of dealing with minor offences (however controversial they are) such as; off topic.

Of course we shouldn't abandon the fact that minor offences can be quite disruptive to TSR, and we should have a separate punishment for the "continued" (we can have a separate record for how a user has been particularly evading a rule) display of these acts.
    Also these can be quite subjective hence why I suggest that these posts are forwarded to senior mods before the user is given a straight blue card thus significantly decreasing the chance that the user will have to go through the AAM, and to think that he/she has been carded unfairly by a "particular" mod (as we know, TSR has experienced many unsettle from people).

I remain the position that "Reminders" provide no useful benefit.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yet I disagree, whether 'reminders' are "a nicer name" or not shouldn't be even a reason for mods to evade the fact that these so called 'reminders' are providing the least benefits to the moderation of this student forum and that we should be investing our time in dealing with joke frenzies of trolls displaying serious forms of racism instead of dealing with minor offences (however controversial they are) such as; off topic.

Of course we shouldn't abandon the fact that minor offences can be quite disruptive to TSR, and we should have a separate punishment for the "continued" (we can have a separate record for how a user has been particularly evading a rule) display of these acts.
    Also these can be quite subjective hence why I suggest that these posts are forwarded to senior mods before the user is given a straight blue card thus significantly decreasing the chance that the user will have to go through the AAM, and to think that he/she has been carded unfairly by a "particular" mod (as we know, TSR has experienced many unsettle from people).

I remain the position that "Reminders" provide no useful benefit.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh like 95%+ of our time looking at reports is for the "big trolls". These guys are already perm banned but avoiding them to come back and post racist threads etc. That is what we invest our time in. Ask any mod and they'd rather spend less time dealing with reports/cards and more time with running compeititons and organising cool new content etc.

So, Maybe we could keep the reminder as this "punishment" but only escalate if they're all for the same offence you reckon? Or what would you call this seperate punishment and how would it work?

Tbh, we have systems in place already for the new mods. Section leaders do keep an eye on them and the decisions they make.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh like 95%+ of our time looking at reports is for the "big trolls". These guys are already perm banned but avoiding them to come back and post racist threads etc. That is what we invest our time in. Ask any mod and they'd rather spend less time dealing with reports/cards and more time with running compeititons and organising cool new content etc.

So, Maybe we could keep the reminder as this "punishment" but only escalate if they're all for the same offence you reckon? Or what would you call this seperate punishment and how would it work?

Tbh, we have systems in place already for the new mods. Section leaders do keep an eye on them and the decisions they make.
    Really,?! Because it seemed for the past couple of days "mods" completely ignored the banning of dupe accounts being made to discriminate against blacks as well as shrug off the herds of reports coming in from these threads for their closure. It seems some of the dupe accounts are still alive.

Yet people who make new accounts to override their bans and behave (even though, they are bypassing the regulations) are banned almost instantaneously.
    I do not deny the fact that mods would rather enjoy themselves then card people nor am I suggesting that they have an agenda to ban people.

No, No, and No.
    As I have said before, "Reminders" will seem soft and will not decrease any bad activity of a user.

I propose that a new system should be placed in which an automatic record (with a list of all common minor offences), shows how much times a user has broken a particular "rule" and if the user passes the limit of chances, they are given a straight blue card for that and will be notified via PM. This record will be available for the user to see on his/her profile thus it will make sure he/she is extra careful in terms of breaking that rule. This will definitely stop the user from lets say, using swear filter.

Additionally, we can provide help and support with tabs under each minor offence to see exactly what they are doing wrong because in most cases, people do not understand what they are being reminded of and no offence but most people do not actually read the site guidelines (even though, they obviously should have ).

This will reduce the amount of normal users being banned and mods can focus on the eradication of trolls as they will not need to card/remind each offence. However, mods will be notified of posts which have been recorded by the system, thus they can clean them up.
    We should keep the number of blue cards needed for escalation of a ban, the same.

It may seem strange but it will allow "mods" to focus on more major offences aswell on the ever increasing troll population.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It takes 12 reminders within a 3 month period to be banned. You can't do that unless you are wilfully ignoring the sites rules.

Getting a couple is fair enough, some of the rules are harder to know and a reminder is just that. If someone picks up 12 though that is completely deserving of them having some time off the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    It takes 12 reminders within a 3 month period to be banned. You can't do that unless you are wilfully ignoring the sites rules.

Getting a couple is fair enough, some of the rules are harder to know and a reminder is just that. If someone picks up 12 though that is completely deserving of them having some time off the site.
    I've managed before. (granted once in 8 years or something) If you're being targeted by a user/set of users, it's pretty easy to do. Almost anything can earn you a 'reminder' these days. For example: calling a thread questioning the holocaust a troll. (no i'm not discussing my warnings in public, as this isn't one I've had.) Also depends on the mod/the mods mood, etc. Some are eminently fair, some are just hopeless.

People used to do it with neg rep, now they just abuse the warning system instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.