Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel sorry for Rolf Harris Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Rolf is a highly regarded artist. He has written his own songs. And he has a personable charm with people that is sadly not massively commonplace.

Sadly the latter was taken as evidence of supposed lack of regret. The boat journey to court with Rolf looking well turned out was painted as being some kind of lack of remorse. Genuine remorse is always a private thing. But for a man like Rolf it will no doubt be a complicated thing.
    Why should a man who might admit mistakes to himself but who rightly doesn't let that wash over all the great things that he has achieved in his life have to flagellate himself in public in his last few moments of freedom before prison does its contraining? And he had not done anything for at least the last 20 years. How many non-famous people, people with no particularly redeeming qualities at all unlike Rolf's talent, do you think get away with far worse? So why is it deemed OK by so many newspaper columnists to treat Rolf more harshly in proportion to his fame and talent?
    Why not use an inverse proportion instead? The reason is that people rather childishly hold famous people up to far greater standards than they have in themselves. They have never been famous themselves and so they don't know what it is like to lead that kind of life where you meet lots of people of all generations and you possibly never really have the time, inclination nor even reason to properly settle emotionally.
    Someone like Rolf is treat more as an icon who you love , hate or feel indifferent to rather than as a human being. But he never claimed to be the Cliff Richard kind of icon. If others saw than in him, if doesn't necessarily mean he was trying to fool anyone. There's no reason that a public face has to be like the private person who holds it all together. To think otherwise is to completely underestimate what it takes to be a 'celebrity' and to think that talented people should necessarily have the same kind of psychological 'structure' as any old person. That's not how becoming talented or famous happens.

An entertainer's emotions are heightened. And it might explain why Rolf felt more comfortable in the company of children.

Whether you like it or not, for an Australian to have become famous in the United Kingdom will not have a particularly easy thing. It will have taken a very decent amount of will to do so. The more famous someone is, the more reason for insecurity there can be. Thoughts like 'It could all end tomorrow, the public could turn on me for no good reason other than they've seen it all before'. It's a precarious situation that Joe Public might sometimes have some inkling of in their own life- but not in the same way.

One comment from his daughter that she was excited at the idea that she might inherit £11 million from him as sole person in his will strikes me as more disgusting than Rolf's own lapses. To give in to sins of the flesh is human, to think about money from your own father is greed.
    It is not nice to have something done to you that you didn't ask for nor want. But that doesn't necessarily mean that your life would be so much better if it hadn't. It's not full sexual intercourse we're talking about with anonymous, creepy, old men. Nobody except the fevered imaginations of journalists and those who used Rolf's name for their own good should be regarding Rolf Harris as massively creepy. He's just human - a male. And he deserves to have a decent family life after he has been released.
    He hasn't killed anyone. He hasn't even raped anyone. It takes a mundane or bitter mind to want to wipe out all the good that he has done in his life because of some of the bad effects of his actions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel sorry for him. However, I've been quite upset by it. I really liked Rolf Harris when I was little.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think there is something mentally wrong with a significant number of TSR users.

Rolf Harris sexually abused children and so many people here either feel sorry for him or want to make excuses for him. It's as if emotionally they haven't come to terms with the fact that a person they clearly loved (personally I find it impossible to love people I don't know), did this, even if their minds understand it at a conceptual level. It's strange, I've always assumed that child abuse was perhaps the one thing with evokes a special level of hatred and disgust in people, but it seems as a more general point, many people will let pretty much anything slide, provided the person doing it has the necessary level of charisma. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel sorry for Rolf Harris. I feel sorry for his victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
    To give in to sins of the flesh is human, to think about money from your own father is greed.
    Repeated child abuse and an ill-considered comment are not comparable.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of excuses in your post is incredible. Notably,"Its not full sexual intercourse we're talking about with anonymous, creepy, old men." and"An entertainer's emotions are heightened. It might explain why Rolf felt more comfortable in the company of children."Are you out of your mind? Instead of spewing sympathy for a paedophile, why not give some thought to his victims whose lives were ruined.

ReputationRep:
    Hadn't heard of him before this incident apart from that Churchill advert, cu @ prison pedobear lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Are you out of your mind? Instead of spewing sympathy for a paedophile, why not give some thought to his victims whose lives were ruined.
    Do you know what a paedophile is? It need not necessarily involve anything more than being so fond of children that they are sexually attracted to them. They can be of all intellects, all classes, and need not necessarily involve their desires being acted upon. And physically there is a world of difference between fondling and full sex.

Someone who is violent to children is not technically a paedophile - you have to love children to be a paedophile. If violence is involved they are just sadistic.

It is uncomfortable for many people to face this fact but if males do not have paedophiliac tendencies how come there are so many going out with girls young enough to be their daughters?
    It's just ludicrous that an 18 year old can be deemed beyond the pale for being paedophilically attracted to a 12 year old (6 year gap) and yet a 40 year old is allowed to have fun chasing an 18 year old (22 year gap).

These are human created cut off points. In some countries 12 is an accepted age of consent. In Britain it was 13 for a long time.

It is a peculiar world we live in where adults act like children for far longer than they did in some previous generations and yet they don't like the idea that their children might wish to redresss this balance by being more adult themselves.

As someone who was abused myself, I do know what effect it could have had. But at the same time I know that this is partly a celebrity witch hunt. There are lots of people who feel envious about celebrities. And, to be blunt, if I was going to have advances made to me it might as well be by someone famous who I claimed to love rather than some random stranger.

ReputationRep:
    He's lucky. It took his victims 30 years (correct me if I'm wrong) to come forward. Let's be honest he's getting on and spending the next few years in prison isn't going to do much to him.

ReputationRep:
    You feel sorry for Rolf Harris? Someone who has sexually abused young children? If you knew anyone who has been molested as a child, I'm sure you would not feel sorry for him. I think your opinion is disgusting and quite frankly, you have disturbed me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
    Do you know what a paedophile is? It need not necessarily involve anything more than being so fond of children that they are sexually attracted to them. They can be of all intellects, all classes, and need not necessarily involve their desires being acted upon. And physically there is a world of difference between fondling and full sex.

Someone who is violent to children is not technically a paedophile - you have to love children to be a paedophile. If violence is involved they are just sadistic.

It is uncomfortable for many people to face this fact but if males do not have paedophiliac tendencies how come there are so many going out with girls young enough to be their daughters?
    It's just ludicrous that an 18 year old can be deemed beyond the pale for being paedophilically attracted to a 12 year old (6 year gap) and yet a 40 year old is allowed to have fun chasing an 18 year old (22 year gap).

These are human created cut off points. In some countries 12 is an accepted age of consent. In Britain it was 13 for a long time.

It is a peculiar world we live in where adults act like children for far longer than they did in some previous generations and yet they don't like the idea that their children might wish to redresss this balance by being more adult themselves.

As someone who was abused myself, I do know what effect it could have had. But at the same time I know that this is partly a celebrity witch hunt. There are lots of people who feel envious about celebrities. And, to be blunt, if I was going to have advances made to me it might as well be by someone famous who I claimed to love rather than some random stranger.
    You are pro-pedophillia to the core. Ofcourse I do, do you want to break down the word and start quoting Latin script? It doesn't change anything.

What realm are you in? You can be a violent paedophile. You are trying to paint that Paedophiles "love" children and can never hurt them. Rape and sexual assault is not an act of "love". Especially from an adult to a child.

Women can be paedophiles also, not just men. Your logic that many men date younger women, isn't valid. They can date whoever they want as they are both consenting adults and not a child or under age. Repeat with me: Consenting Adults. The fact that you think its ludicrous that an 18 year old with a 12 year old isn't any different to a 40 year old & an 18 year old is actually idiotic.

A child can not be an adult, regardless is they 'act like one'

So you'd rather get molested by someone famous rather than a 'random stranger'OK you are trolling for sure now. That or you need serious help. These children didn't have a say in anything as they were children who one was 7-8 and the others were from the ages of 13-14 & 15. If you want to get molested by someone famous, go visit Rolf in prison. But dont get your hopes up, you might be too "mature" for him.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I were wondering whether he is being used as a scapegoat for the whole business, considering that Saville cannot be punished and so a lot of fingers are pointing around, looking for someone to blame. A lot of people testifying against him have said he was touching them during autograph signings etc, and although I'm not denying that more serious cases have been reported, I do wonder whether it was a case of wanting to revenge Saville and dragging someone into it who could easily be 'proved' guilty.

But honestly, who knows. I could be just as wrong as the next person.

ReputationRep:
    He's disgusting and so are you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I honestly think there is something mentally wrong with a significant number of TSR users.

Rolf Harris sexually abused children and so many people here either feel sorry for him or want to make excuses for him. It's as if emotionally they haven't come to terms with the fact that a person they clearly loved (personally I find it impossible to love people I don't know), did this, even if their minds understand it at a conceptual level. It's strange, I've always assumed that child abuse was perhaps the one thing with evokes a special level of hatred and disgust in people, but it seems as a more general point, many people will let pretty much anything slide, provided the person doing it has the necessary level of charisma. Pathetic.
    (Original post by kingzebra)
    You feel sorry for Rolf Harris? Someone who has sexually abused young children? If you knew anyone who has been molested as a child I'm sure you would not feels sorry for him. I think your opinion is disgusting and quite frankly, you have disturbed me.
    PRSOM

People make me despair sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    The worst part for me was the cheek of fronting that campaign against child molestation.
    Deserves everything he gets the dirty nonce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    PRSOM

People make me despair sometimes.
    Don't worry about it!

I know, it scares me how people can try and justify it, I'd be scared to personally know someone like that :/

ReputationRep:
    If he has any honour or pride, he'll apologise and end his life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1.) Paedophiles themselves are not immoral as long as they don't act on their impulses. Harris did. That is completely and unquestionably immoral.

2.) The point isn't whether he feels remorse, the point is that he committed a crime and caused psychological damage to his victims, and they are who we should reserve our sympathy for.

3.) As for the argument of '40 year olds can go for 18 year olds but 18 year olds can't go for 12 year olds, 18 year olds are autonomous and consenting adults, whereas legally 12 year olds aren't. I'm sure there are 12-year-olds in existence who are mature enough to give informed sexual consent, but they sure as hell don't constitute the majority and it is safer legally to deem them unable to consent. That is not the case for 18-year-olds.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel sorry for him, however I was shocked as I loved him growing up and honestly couldn't ever believe him to be capable of such.

ReputationRep:
    It saddens me because I used to love Animal Hospital and thought Rolf Harris was awesome and to think that I was the same age at that point as at least one of his victims was when he abused them. It makes me sick - who can you you look up to as a kid anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.