The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

Scroll to see replies

i was counting on m1 and m2 to bring my average to 96-97 but thats not happening now. Cambridge hopes and dreams crushed because of iver accurate answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M
Who told you that? It isn't true.

Yes it is; it's stated in every Mechanics markscheme, on the "general rules for marking Mechanics" page. For example, see page 5 of this markscheme
Original post by shamika
Yes it is; it's stated in every Mechanics markscheme, on the "general rules for marking Mechanics" page. For example, see page 5 of this markscheme

Marking is a bit more sophisticated than you might think by reading instructions like that. It is not reasonable to suffer this level of detriment for repeatedly failing to apply a trivial skill. You would have to check with an Edexcel A Level Mechanics examiner (I am OCR) but I suspect the first occurrence will be penalised and subsequent ones ignored.
Original post by Mr M
Marking is a bit more sophisticated than you might think by reading instructions like that. It is not reasonable to suffer this level of detriment for repeatedly failing to apply a trivial skill. You would have to check with an Edexcel A Level Mechanics examiner (I am OCR) but I suspect the first occurrence will be penalised and subsequent ones ignored.

That's the case with leaving out +C on WJEC integration questions.

Not sure about accuracy marks.
Original post by Mr M

Or you could just read the link I gave you? :rolleyes:

N.B. Over-accuracy or under-accuracy of correct answers should only be penalised ONCE per complete question

I don't agree with the policy, but it's there in black and white.
Original post by shamika
Or you could just read the link I gave you? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with the policy, but it's there in black and white.

I read the link. If you don't want to benefit from my knowledge and experience that's fine but there is no need to be rude.
Original post by Mr M
I read the link. If you don't want to benefit from my knowledge and experience that's fine but there is no need to be rude.

I'm not trying to be an arse, I'm trying to clarify Edexcel's policy. The rule is unambiguous, and it seems like it was applied in physicsmaths's case.

We might disagree with the policy, but we can't argue with the mark, since all the marker has done is follow said policy. The reason I keep going on about this is to avoid other people making the same mistake.
Original post by shamika
I'm not trying to be an arse, I'm trying to clarify Edexcel's policy. The rule is unambiguous, and it seems like it was applied in physicsmaths's case.

We might disagree with the policy, but we can't argue with the mark, since all the marker has done is follow said policy. The reason I keep going on about this is to avoid other people making the same mistake.

You are assuming the instructions written on the mark scheme is the totality of all the instructions to examiners. This won't be the case. At OCR there is a plethora of additional documentation and verbal advice and none of it is in the public domain.

The OCR exam papers state that all non-exact answers must be given to 3 s.f. If you read the mark schemes and examiner's reports you would believe that this would result in candidates losing multiple accuracy marks on a paper. I used to drum it in to my students that failing to follow this instruction could cost them one grade. Imagine my surprise when I became an examiner and found that in practice we do not deduct any marks for over-specification and only dock one mark the first time a student gives a less accurate answer. At all times examiners seek to reward candidates for their correct work and steps are taken to prevent detriment that might be deemed unreasonable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
You are assuming the instructions written on the mark scheme is the totality of all the instructions to examiners. This won't be the case. At OCR there is a plethora of additional documentation and verbal advice and none of it is in the public domain.

The OCR exam papers state that all non-exact answers must be given to 3 s.f. If you read the mark schemes and examiner's reports you would believe that this would result in candidates losing multiple accuracy marks on a paper. I used to drum it in to my students that failing to follow this instruction could cost them one grade. Imagine my surprise when I became an examiner and found that in practice we do not deduct any marks for over-specification and only dock one mark the first time a student gives a less accurate answer. At all times examiners seek to reward candidates for their correct work and steps are taken to prevent detriment that might be deemed unreasonable.

Hmmm... Im all for treating students fairly but the OCR way of contradicting publicly available advice doesn't seem right to me.

However in this case there's a very easy way to avoid the problem - round appropriately. Regardless of marking practices i would strongly recommend students just get it right, just as you advise your own students
Original post by Mr M

i think if you do it a few times in a question they penalise once. So max
1 mark per question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!
I was wondering if you could help me out - my current top choice for Uni is Imperial, however my results weren't exactly as I was hoping. My module results were: C1-100, C2-100, FP1-85 (this is my main concern!), D1-88, S1-94, M1-98. Given my additional reading is up to scratch and I do well in step (I'm aware I can't guarantee this), do you think I still have a chance in getting an offer? My FP1 mark is a huge bother - I'm considering resitting it as I pretty sure I could do better, it just wasn't a great exam for me. Also, I figure doing FP2/3 next year will help me if I did choose to resit FP1.
Anyway, I was hoping some of you could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it!
Also other Uni's I'm considering applying to are: UCL, St Andrews, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol and Lancaster.
Generally I was just wondering where do I have a chance?
Thank you Guys! :smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
You aren't expected to read all of the book for the module it's recommended for; you are only supposed to read the sections relating to that module. I have textbooks that are 600 pages long and I only understand around 30 pages after completing first year mathematics.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in studying at Newcastle, feel free to ask me questions. (But hardly anyone on TSR studies maths at Newcastle :frown:)

MEE! I wanna study maths at newcastle. Are you a 1st/2nd etc. year student? What AS grades did you get and in what subjects and what A2 grades? Also, did you do any kind of extra reading and if so what did you do?
Original post by qwertyuiop9
MEE! I wanna study maths at newcastle. Are you a 1st/2nd etc. year student? What AS grades did you get and in what subjects and what A2 grades? Also, did you do any kind of extra reading and if so what did you do?

I've just finished first year, going into second in September.

AS: AAABC (Maths, Further, Physics, General Studies, Chemistry)
A2: A*AB (Maths, Physics, Further)
(Also got an A* in my EPQ on logarithms)

I did some reading. I mentioned '17 Equations that Changed the World' and some books I got from a magazine in WH Smith (they were doing a set of maths books you could collect) on my PS.

If you're a local student, you might qualify for the partners scheme: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/partners/
Original post by venusinfurs
Hello!
I was wondering if you could help me out - my current top choice for Uni is Imperial, however my results weren't exactly as I was hoping. My module results were: C1-100, C2-100, FP1-85 (this is my main concern!), D1-88, S1-94, M1-98. Given my additional reading is up to scratch and I do well in step (I'm aware I can't guarantee this), do you think I still have a chance in getting an offer? My FP1 mark is a huge bother - I'm considering resitting it as I pretty sure I could do better, it just wasn't a great exam for me. Also, I figure doing FP2/3 next year will help me if I did choose to resit FP1.
Anyway, I was hoping some of you could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it!
Also other Uni's I'm considering applying to are: UCL, St Andrews, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol and Lancaster.

imperial do not look at modules ums just grades so ur alright mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by venusinfurs
Hello!

Don't bother resitting FP1. Imperial now ask you to sit the MAT around November. If you're doing well in STEP already that's a great sign, but your offer is almost certainly dependent on how well you do in MAT.

You've got great scores by the way. Have you thought about Oxbridge or Warwick? You'll also have to take STEP for Cambridge and Warwick, but you seem to have looked at STEP already, and they're amazing unis for Maths.
Reply 75
Original post by shamika
Seriously, sort out your attitude. (For the record I got 1200/1200 UMS in maths and FM when I took my A-Levels.)

Damnnnnnn. That's sick! I originally thought I was going to get that but D2 ****ed it up by being a **** module (hated it) and I messed up FP1 getting 96/100 because I panicked so badly.
588/600 - 98% - is commendable, however, it isn't 600/600, which annoys me. 300/300 in core though, which I will accept.

What were your STEP marks? May I ask?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DomStaff
Damnnnnnn. That's sick! I originally thought I was going to get that but D2 ****ed it up by being a **** module (hated it) and I messed up FP1 getting 96/100 because I panicked so badly.
588/600 - 98% - is commendable, however, it isn't 600/600, which annoys me. 300/300 in core though, which I will accept.

What were your STEP marks? May I ask?

Yes. They're 0 in STEP I, 0 in STEP II and 0 in STEP III - I was too scared to take them and so turned down my Cambridge offer (which was the only place to require STEP at the time).

Full UMS doesn't mean anything more than the fact that I was accurate in the exams. I took the exams at a time when grade boundaries were shockingly low (I did P1-P6, M1-M6 instead of the C and FP modules), and in my M4 am fairly sure I didn't even complete the paper. What I'm trying to say is, no one cares if you get 98 instead of 100, and neither should you. Care more about doing well in STEP. I get the focus on UMS given A-level results just came out, but seriously you will realise it just doesn't matter. I can't even remember what GCSE subjects I took, or half of my degree options, let alone what marks I got!
Reply 77
Original post by shamika
Yes. They're 0 in STEP I, 0 in STEP II and 0 in STEP III - I was too scared to take them and so turned down my Cambridge offer (which was the only place to require STEP at the time).

Full UMS doesn't mean anything more than the fact that I was accurate in the exams. I took the exams at a time when grade boundaries were shockingly low (I did P1-P6, M1-M6 instead of the C and FP modules), and in my M4 am fairly sure I didn't even complete the paper. What I'm trying to say is, no one cares if you get 98 instead of 100, and neither should you. Care more about doing well in STEP. I get the focus on UMS given A-level results just came out, but seriously you will realise it just doesn't matter. I can't even remember what GCSE subjects I took, or half of my degree options, let alone what marks I got!

So you never took it? You're one of the main people on the STEP prep thread, so I assumed you would have done it!

Yeah, I really want to work my arse off come exam-time and get SSS, but that is probably very unrealistic haha!
Original post by shamika
Don't bother resitting FP1. Imperial now ask you to sit the MAT around November. If you're doing well in STEP already that's a great sign, but your offer is almost certainly dependent on how well you do in MAT.

You've got great scores by the way. Have you thought about Oxbridge or Warwick? You'll also have to take STEP for Cambridge and Warwick, but you seem to have looked at STEP already, and they're amazing unis for Maths.

Thank you so much! Sorry I've replied so late.
Yup, I've had a look at the MAT, it seems alright, but will definitely be my priority as ICL is currently my top choice.
Thank you! I visited Cambridge earlier this year and it didn't feel quite right. I'm going to an Oxford and Warwick open day - I'm not sure about how they'll be as I'm learning towards a city uni but I'll see! The main reason I've been looking at STEP is that UCL appreciates STEP and a couple of the other Unis! But I'm sure a lot of my choices will jumble up before the deadline as I've only got one certain choice at the moment and about 5/6 possibilities! Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
imperial do not look at modules ums just grades so ur alright mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest