The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmccann
are you currently at any of these universities?

Umm no lol, but I'd like to think I'm quite well informed.
Feel free to take my advice or not, I'm just giving you my two cents. I'm sure some other Cambridge/LSE students will agree with me.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 121
Original post by groovyd97
Umm no lol, but I'd like to think I'm quite well informed.
Feel free to take my advice or not, I'm just giving you my two cents. I'm sure some other Cambridge/LSE students will agree with me.

I do agree with you but i dont like the idea of doing an extra as while im doing 4 A2's. do you think it would be worthwhile even doing perhaps one further maths module?
Original post by mmccann
I do agree with you but i dont like the idea of doing an extra as while im doing 4 A2's. do you think it would be worthwhile even doing perhaps one further maths module?

Yeh that would be a good idea, but is it necessary to do 4 A2s? If you can handle the workload that would be perfectly fine. If you were just doing one module, I would probs suggest S3 or FP1 (assuming you are doing S2 with normal maths?) If you are doing this, defo mention in your PS/SAQ or get teachers to mention in reference.

But I think ideal would be to do 3 A2s and then as many AS further maths modules as possible (maybe 2 or 3).
Reply 123
Original post by groovyd97
Yeh that would be a good idea, but is it necessary to do 4 A2s? If you can handle the workload that would be perfectly fine. If you were just doing one module, I would probs suggest S3 or FP1 (assuming you are doing S2 with normal maths?) If you are doing this, defo mention in your PS/SAQ or get teachers to mention in reference.

But I think ideal would be to do 3 A2s and then as many AS further maths modules as possible (maybe 2 or 3).

I would consider dropping chemistry. And no in normal maths i have did m1 and am currently doing s1. if i picked up an AS in further maths would fp1, fp2 and s2 be the best options?
Original post by mmccann
I would consider dropping chemistry. And no in normal maths i have did m1 and am currently doing s1. if i picked up an AS in further maths would fp1, fp2 and s2 be the best options?

Yes, that would be a very good idea! I would maybe suggest D1 instead of FP2 if you perhaps want an easier ride/better mark, but FP2 will be more useful overall! The other 2 are perfect.

Haha, I'm doing A2 chemistry and it's hard, and especially as its irrelevant to economics you will not lose anything by dropping it!!
Reply 125
I everyone. I am 21, currently self teaching Maths (doing s1 and s2), economics and business studies (I would have picked further maths instead of business studies, but the subject wasn't available through my learning provider.) I did stupid subjects when I was at 6th form so I made a decision to retake alevels.

I got 3 A's at my AS exams this summer and I hope I can turn those A's into 3 A*, mind that I've got 9-5 job.
I will be applying as a matures student and I want to study economics. I've considered universities like exeter, bristol etc, but I am curious to see if I've got any chance of getting into LSE?

I also spend a lot of time reading economics related books, I'm fluent in 3 different lanuages (english is my 3rd language), I am a county standard badminton player, I also play tennis and do other fun things. I have also sorted out a work experience at a hedge fund for next summer. I might also try to go through some units of FM with a friend of mine who is a Maths teacher and I think he is doing masters in financial mathematics so he could help me out massively.

Not sure if any of mentioned above would help when applying, but I am just trying to explain my situation and seeking for a bit of guidance I guess.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by paparx
I everyone. I am 21, currently self teaching Maths (doing s1 and s2), economics and business studies (I would have picked further maths instead of business studies, but the subject wasn't available through my learning provider.) I did stupid subjects when I was at 6th form so I made a decision to retake alevels.

I got 3 A's at my AS exams this summer and I hope I can turn those A's into 3 A*, mind that I've got 9-5 job.
I will be applying as a matures student and I want to study economics. I've considered universities like exeter, bristol etc, but I am curious to see if I've got any chance of getting into LSE?

I also spend a lot of time reading economics related books, I'm fluent in 3 different lanuages (english is my 3rd language), I am a county standard badminton player, I also play tennis and do other fun things. I have also sorted out a work experience at a hedge fund for next summer. I might also try to go through some units of FM with a friend of mine who is a Maths teacher and I think he is doing masters in financial mathematics so he could help me out massively.

Not sure if any of mentioned above would help when applying, but I am just trying to explain my situation and seeking for a bit of guidance I guess.

Thanks

A hedge fund sounds quite fancy. I bet LSE will like that, especially if your role somehow involves economic analysis of a sort. The problem is that they don't like economics and business studies together, that's not to mention that business studies is a blacklisted subject. Although the fact that you are a mature applicant might neglect this? Not sure. Which A-levels have you done earlier, and what grades did you get?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by benq
A hedge fund sounds quite fancy. I bet LSE will like that, especially if your role is somehow involves economic analysis of a sort. The problem is that they don't like economics and business studies together, that's not to mention that business studies is a blacklisted subject. Although the fact that you are a mature applicant might neglect this? Not sure. Which A-levels have you done earlier, and what grades did you get?

Thanks for your reply.
Me and the guy who runs the fund play tennis at the same club and by the sounds of how many people dream to work for a hedge fund you could say I am lucky to have met him in a non-working environment. It's not one of those fancy 10+ billion $ funds so it's not a big deal.

I did history, photography, art and psychology, like I said useless subjects, but who would have taught I would one day want to take a different route in my life. I did ok, some c's and b's, but I wasn't amazing, probably because I wasn't revising or finding the subjects as interesting as I had imagined when I first picked them.

I had a look at the entry requirements at lse website and I know what they say about economics + business studies, but like I said there were no better subjects I could have chosen at the time.

I have read somewhere that they do consider mature students with unorthodox qualifications given that they have some kind of relevant work experience (why I though I would mention working at a HF next summer) and that they put together a strong personal statement (which I hope I could do) and I thought that self teaching would show that I am capable of learning, have the discipline an so on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dying to get into lse, there are plenty of other good universities out there who I hope would be happy to have me, but lse has got an incredible reputation and I just wanted to see if I stood a chance of getting in with my modest achievements.
Reply 128
Original post by paparx
Thanks for your reply.
Me and the guy who runs the fund play tennis at the same club and by the sounds of how many people dream to work for a hedge fund you could say I am lucky to have met him in a non-working environment. It's not one of those fancy 10+ billion $ funds so it's not a big deal.

I did history, photography, art and psychology, like I said useless subjects, but who would have taught I would one day want to take a different route in my life. I did ok, some c's and b's, but I wasn't amazing, probably because I wasn't revising or finding the subjects as interesting as I had imagined when I first picked them.

I had a look at the entry requirements at lse website and I know what they say about economics + business studies, but like I said there were no better subjects I could have chosen at the time.

I have read somewhere that they do consider mature students with unorthodox qualifications given that they have some kind of relevant work experience (why I though I would mention working at a HF next summer) and that they put together a strong personal statement (which I hope I could do) and I thought that self teaching would show that I am capable of learning, have the discipline an so on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dying to get into lse, there are plenty of other good universities out there who I hope would be happy to have me, but lse has got an incredible reputation and I just wanted to see if I stood a chance of getting in with my modest achievements.

Any hedge fund is very good. Besides, from my understanding, a hedge fund by definition is exclusive. Definitely talk about this. What about your current, as you mentioned, 9-5 job?

Photography and art aren't indeed very respected a-levels outside of their respective fields. However, I would say that history is one of the most, if not the most respected essay a-level there is. Psychology isn't that bad as well, though obviously less respected. What I would advice is to self-teach and re-take individual history modules so as to give yourself an opportunity to boost your grade to an A. That would be very good. Also, you would definitely need a further maths as-level, if you want to apply for any serious economics degree at places like LSE, UCL or Warwick. Those combined, therefore, as well as a stellar PS, would give you a solid standing.
Reply 129
Original post by benq
Any hedge fund is very good. Besides, from my understanding, a hedge fund by definition is exclusive. Definitely talk about this. What about your current, as you mentioned, 9-5 job?

Photography and art aren't indeed very respected a-levels outside of their respective fields. However, I would say that history is one of the most, if not the most respected essay a-level there is. Psychology isn't that bad as well, though obviously less respected. What I would advice is to self-teach and re-take individual history modules so as to give yourself an opportunity to boost your grade to an A. That would be very good. Also, you would definitely need a further maths as-level, if you want to apply for any serious economics degree at places like LSE, UCL or Warwick. Those combined, therefore, as well as a stellar PS, would give you a solid standing.

I could not thank you more. Thank you thank you thank you. I might consider doing what you said about history, but you also sparked another idea in my head - I could take further maths and go through AS and maybe A2 with my friend (the maths teacher) and take the exam as a private candidate, hopefully get a good grade and then apply.
I enjoy maths and I think I would find it more stimulating and interesting to do further maths instead of history. Like you said strong maths background is what these top universities are looking for in their applicants.
Once again thank you for giving me a clearer idea of what I should be doing.
Reply 130
Original post by paparx
I could not thank you more. Thank you thank you thank you. I might consider doing what you said about history, but you also sparked another idea in my head - I could take further maths and go through AS and maybe A2 with my friend (the maths teacher) and take the exam as a private candidate, hopefully get a good grade and then apply.
I enjoy maths and I think I would find it more stimulating and interesting to do further maths instead of history. Like you said strong maths background is what these top universities are looking for in their applicants.
Once again thank you for giving me a clearer idea of what I should be doing.

I'm glad my advice was of help to you in direct/indirect ways :smile: Self-teaching actually isn't that hard. As a matter of fact, I'm self-teaching the whole Philosophy A-level this year, and I'm finding it just fine so far. Good luck!
Currently applying for Accounting & Finance at LSE for sept. 2015, and was just wondering if anyone knew if they accept native language a levels. The entry requirements are AAA. any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by GandalfWhite
Economics degree has depth.
Management degree has breadth.

UCL is more management science (engineering faculty) whilst LSE Management degree is more social science.

But will employees like me more if I have a economics degree rather than a management degree?
Reply 133
I am considering applying for maths with economics at lse and was wondering what my chances of acceptance are , I have very weak gcse's compared to many candidates with mostly B's and only a few A/A*. On the other hand my as results are all A's in maths, further maths, history and economics (dropped history). My average ums including history Is 90 and excluding history is 91.2.
Original post by lilacunicorn
Congratulations! What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

economic history, however im hoping to switch to economics and economic history as i did get an A in maths (i had a D at AS and only predicted a B so didnt apply there in the first place).
Original post by GandalfWhite
Wow. Well done. Jumping 2 grades require compensating by at least 20% in A2 papers right? Won't you need perfect 100 to get from C to A with a borderline 59.9 C? How did you do it?

History was already an A at As level so i got an A* in A2 to get an A* overall.

Physics was a C at As level, i retook one exam pushing my grade to an A at As (E to 90+ % in that repeat), then i averaged a C at A2, ending up with a B overall.

Maths was a D at As level, i retook all exams, getting 100 % in c1 and c2 and 80 & in m1, aligned with 100 in c3, 70 in c4 and 60 in m2 i achieved an A overall.

Dont underestimate the ability to ace your As retakes, the level of difficulty compared from As to A2 means you need to play the number game to be successful, for example my maths and physics repeats required not much effort but just good timing and practice before exams. these retakes afforded me the ability to underscore at A2 and still achieve the grades.
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to LSE connect page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
I'm applying to LSE for management or economics and my PS is written for both. I wondered if it would increase/decrease my chances of getting into LSE if i applied for both Management and Economics courses there????
Reply 138
Original post by Millerman
I'm applying to LSE for management or economics and my PS is written for both. I wondered if it would increase/decrease my chances of getting into LSE if i applied for both Management and Economics courses there????

decrease
Original post by 2015brj
Hi! I'm Indian but I live in Japan and I'm doing the IB too! Just out of curiosity do you take math HL?

No Math HL as I'm not applying for economics, rather than economic history which is within the history department. What course are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest