Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do any of u guys do it? i went for my 2nd donation today, i always seem to find its middle aged women/men and the elderly that donate hardly any people our age (in my area anyway)

the woman who was taking my blood was really harsh on me this time- the needle didn't hurt last time, but it still stings now :mad:

ReputationRep:
    good for you! i've always wanted to give blood but i don't have the guts... i will one day though when i overcome my fear of needles...

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I've got s phobia of needles

ReputationRep:
    I faint when I see a needle

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have done it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i gave blood pretty much as soon as I turned 17 - only done it once - plan to do it every sixth months, when permitting. i noticed when i went, how many overweight people there were ... Britain = a nation of fatties

ReputationRep:
    it really doesn't hurt though (well apart from this time when the stupid woman shoved it in really quickly) vaccination needles are the most painful, i hate needles too. once this needle is in though, it doesnt hurt at all, just sorta sits there and u dont feel a thing

yep Ive been once - I couldnt go before as I had had acupuncture 6 months before turning 17

it was fine the only thing was I got bored so next time I will ask if i can read or listen to music etc while giving blood

i felt a bit dizzy - im a lot smaller than most of the people there! but i was ok

if youre going i would recommend making an appointment if you can its much quicker

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    do any of u guys do it? i went for my 2nd donation today, i always seem to find its middle aged women/men and the elderly that donate hardly any people our age (in my area anyway)
    I would like to but I have been to Africa in the last 5 years... I will be able to in 2 years tho...

(Original post by VoodooDoll)
    good for you! i've always wanted to give blood but i don't have the guts... i will one day though when i overcome my fear of needles...
    I used to have a fear of needles but I started to have the contraceptive injection and now I dont mind them so much now. Athough I do have them in my bum :eek: (hurts less because of the padding! )

ReputationRep:
    I applied on the website and they sent me a letter saying they would get in touch to make an appointment. Haven't heard from them since. Obviously my blood isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    yep Ive been once - I couldnt go before as I had had acupuncture 6 months before turning 17
    You couldn't go only because of 2 factors weren't met:
    -Disposable needles
    -Registered doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    -Disposable needles
    -Registered doctor
    Phil, you're going to de a doctor when you're older! Doctor Phil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I applied on the website and they sent me a letter saying they would get in touch to make an appointment. Haven't heard from them since. Obviously my blood isn't good enough.
    just go down to your nearest centre then :P

last time i gave (3rd time) i passed out.

on the tube.

(wasnt fun at the time!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)

the woman who was taking my blood was really harsh on me this time- the needle didn't hurt last time, but it still stings now :mad:
    Hasn't there been a threa don blood donation??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    yeah i gave blood pretty much as soon as I turned 17 - only done it once - plan to do it every sixth months, when permitting. i noticed when i went, how many overweight people there were ... Britain = a nation of fatties
    Well remember if you ever need blood to make sure you get a thin persons.

I'm not allowed to any more, take too many drugs (prescription ones) so I bully a friend into going instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Phil, you're going to de a doctor when you're older! Doctor Phil!
    Indeed. And I clarify you as needing strong psychotic drugs.

can't do it for a few years as theres some issues with my blood. although I would/will do it in future, it doesn't hurt - just don't look at it working its way into your vein!

(Original post by 2776)
    -Disposable needles
    -Registered doctor
    Actually, they were registered (a physiotherapist, not a doctor) and disposable needles were used. However you need to get a certificate saying this, and I just couldn't be arsed to go through sorting that out.

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    i went to give blood about 4 months ago - went to the appointment, filled out the form, had the "little chat", and the lady said i was too crazy to give blood. how stupid is that? she said i wasnt mentally aware of what i was doing. bull. i spoke 2 someone at their head office, and to the donation service heqad doctor, who said it was totally wrong to have turned me away and they were looking into it as a matter of urgency and questioning people. oops, got people into trouble there, but still... was totally wrong to turn me away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)

I would like to give blood but.... I can't. If you have transfusions (blood) you can't give it. but i realy want to make it up. i've had lots, such that my nick was vampire....

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.