Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI there,

This is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong place, but I need advice.

I work in an office and I've been there for a few months. I moved to a new city for posgrad studies and I'm working part-time. I'm quiet and work hard, and up to now have had no issues with anyone there - in fact, everyone is super friendly and kind to me.

I share an email with another colleague because I don't need my own.

Today she wasn't in the office but the email on the PC I use syncs with hers. So, I can just see everything she's reading without clicking anything. Usually it's work emails and never anything personal. That's why we share.

Anyway, today I got an email thread through between her and my supervisor. My supervisor asked her to come in on a day when it was just me and him, stating that he didn't trust me, and that I might rohypnol him or something. She replied laughing, and said she'd be there.

Now I know this sounds all very funny, but I'm actually really hurt by it. I've never said anything untoward and don't know where that kind of comment would come from. There was more in the emails but I'm not going to divulge it for privacy's sake, but that's the line that stung.

I work really hard and have never said a bad word to anyone there, or done anything strange that could be misread.

What on earth is meant by this and what should I do about it? I feel really uncomfortable, and I'm dreading the next day in work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniC)
    HI there,

This is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong place, but I need advice.

I work in an office and I've been there for a few months. I moved to a new city for posgrad studies and I'm working part-time. I'm quiet and work hard, and up to now have had no issues with anyone there - in fact, everyone is super friendly and kind to me.

I share an email with another colleague because I don't need my own.

Today she wasn't in the office but the email on the PC I use syncs with hers. So, I can just see everything she's reading without clicking anything. Usually it's work emails and never anything personal. That's why we share.

Anyway, today I got an email thread through between her and my supervisor. My supervisor asked her to come in on a day when it was just me and him, stating that he didn't trust me, and that I might rohypnol him or something. She replied laughing, and said she'd be there.

Now I know this sounds all very funny, but I'm actually really hurt by it. I've never said anything untoward and don't know where that kind of comment would come from. There was more in the emails but I'm not going to divulge it for privacy's sake, but that's the line that stung.

I work really hard and have never said a bad word to anyone there, or done anything strange that could be misread.

What on earth is meant by this and what should I do about it? I feel really uncomfortable, and I'm dreading the next day in work.
    Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear about the position that you are in and, whilst I've never been in it myself, can offer some support as to why it was said.

I would think that you being "quiet" is the reason for this. The second part is probably nothing but banter and your supervisor being a bit egotistical, as quieter people can sometimes come across as "mysterious", and due to this, people don't know much about them. They also don't show off, meaning that people can assume they have everything but have the decency not to say it. For example, at my secondary school there was one guy who was really quiet. This kid was as good as gold, a lovely chap, but was always quiet and because of this, things along the lines of "he's mega rich", "he's plotting against us", "he's very well-endowed, if you know what I mean" were said about him. So it could seem that this mysterious, quiet side of you is the cause of the rohypnol comment.

However, I would think that it's the first part that is troubling you more. I would assume it is because you and your supervisor do not have as much of a professional working relationship as your colleague does, and this is probably because you are quiet. Obviously you didn't state the rest of the content, and because of this I can only give an insight as to my own thoughts about it, but if you want to, please feel free to Private Message me them.

I can see how this affects you though, and my words of advice are just don't let it show, and try to improve on it subtly

Keep your head up, chin up, and keep working hard as you say you do!

MalteseMalteser

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.