Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm Travelling Solo In The UK... Where To Go? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most of my close mates are doing internships and whatnot this summer, and we can't find a time we are all free, so we have decided to each do our own thing. Some are going on family hols but I'm free till October so have decided to travel solo. I can afford to go abroad, but like saving to I am sticking to the UK.

Where should I go? Any suggestions? I am thinking of going to Scotland as they might be separate from us fairly soon and I've never been. I also haven't been to quite a few major UK cities up north (e.g. Leeds/Liverpool/Newcastle) though I am not sure what I'd do if I went there on my own. I have loads of time free so will probably do lots of mini/day trips rather than one big tour.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neckbeard Fedora)
    Most of my close mates are doing internships and whatnot this summer, and we can't find a time we are all free, so we have decided to each do our own thing. Some are going on family hols but I'm free till October so have decided to travel solo. I can afford to go abroad, but like saving to I am sticking to the UK.

Where should I go? Any suggestions? I am thinking of going to Scotland as they might be separate from us fairly soon and I've never been. I also haven't been to quite a few major UK cities up north (e.g. Leeds/Liverpool/Newcastle) though I am not sure what I'd do if I went there on my own. I have loads of time free so will probably do lots of mini/day trips rather than one big tour.

Bristol is really nice - beautiful buildings and lovely scenery. Liverpool has had a lot of regeneration - it is a bit rough round the edges but still quite fun. Try Dungeness in Kent - nuclear power station but also great beach and great scenery - acoustic mirrors from the war and artist colony. Brighton - well what can I say about Brighton - alternative, off the wall, really great place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Bristol is really nice - beautiful buildings and lovely scenery. Liverpool has had a lot of regeneration - it is a bit rough round the edges but still quite fun. Try Dungeness in Kent - nuclear power station but also great beach and great scenery - acoustic mirrors from the war and artist colony. Brighton - well what can I say about Brighton - alternative, off the wall, really great place
    Thanks . I'm definitely going to Bristol and Liverpool as they are both major cities and I haven't been yet; if I'm doing day trips, what sort of things could I do solo? I may try Dungeness and Brighton too, I'm not sure if I could do "beachy/holiday" type places on my own though

ReputationRep:
    go to megabus.com and go to europe. just anywhere not the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    go to megabus.com and go to europe. just anywhere not the uk.
    That is actually a brilliant idea, thank you. Just checked prices and they are DEAD cheap.

ReputationRep:
    That is actually a brilliant idea, thank you. Just checked prices and they are DEAD cheap.

amsterdam.

that's all.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't worry, they won't be rebuilding Hadrians Wall anytime soon

Depends what you actually want and what your interests are. If you like stunning scenery, I can name a few places, a few definite hidden gems. If you like historical sites, plenty of recommendations on that front.

There is more to the UK than big cities, I travel around the UK a lot for sport, done a lot of walking and haven't even scratched the surface. I don't think I ever will to be honest.

ReputationRep:

Come visit Scotland! Really nice scenery as well. I'd recommend Edinburgh and Inverness as they are nice cities to visit with lots of things to do. If you go up to Inverness you're not far away from Loch Ness as well.

ReputationRep:
    *** to me Sean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.