Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is an 8 year age gap too big Watch

if I'm 19 and he's 27, is that too big an age gap?
    I know it doesn't pass the half-your-age-plus-7 test...
    what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what others think.

If you're happy with him and he's happy with you then that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I think really it is about levels of maturity, if he is a lot more mature than you are then it is not going to work as he is going to get frustrated and bored very quickly. But if you both really like each other and you are both around the same level all should be fine. Finances might be a bit awkward though..

ReputationRep:
    That's dodgy imo

But if you're happy then that's cool.

(Original post by letsbehonest)
    That's dodgy imo

But if you're happy then that's cool.
    why do you think it's dodgy?

(Original post by Ouli Anna)
    I think really it is about levels of maturity, if he is a lot more mature than you are then it is not going to work as he is going to get frustrated and bored very quickly. But if you both really like each other and you are both around the same level all should be fine. Finances might be a bit awkward though..
    very practical thinking, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You are both adults

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    if I'm 19 and he's 27, is that too big an age gap?
    I know it doesn't pass the half-your-age-plus-7 test...
    what do you think?
    tbh i would fins that awkward but if u r happy then its fine

ReputationRep:
    ITT: basic maths fail

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, 8 years is not a big age gap. The older you get, the more insignificant it becomes. Of course, it depends on the maturity level & outlook of both parties involved. I know 19 year olds that are mature for their age and 27 year olds that still act like they are in their teens.

The important thing to remember is that you're young so don't rush into anything long term or too serious unless you genuinely feel that is what makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    He's a bit of a dirty horse to be honest, but I guess your an adult and can make your own decisions.

ReputationRep:
    If your a girl just be careful he's not taking advantage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    'tis fine dear

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how mature you are, but really only you can be the judge of that. If it doesn't bother you and it doesn't bother him, then it shouldn't matter what others think.

(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    ITT: basic maths fail

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you are both of the same maturity levels and want similar things in life then the age gap is irelevant

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to be with him solely 'because he's too old,' you're not worth being with anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    how?
    You said it didn't pass the half your age plus seven trick when obviously it does

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    If your a girl just be careful he's not taking advantage.
    because women don't take advantage lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.