Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This might seem like a stupid question, but to my knowledge you can start working at 16 (when you have your NI number), currently I am 15 but I have my NI number (will turn 16 in August) . I want to know whether I can start working or applying for jobs now, realistically I would want to work at a retail store I guess, nothing too complex

ReputationRep:
    The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13

Children can only start full-time work once they’ve reached the minimum school leaving age** - they can then work up to a maximum of 40 hours a week.

School-aged children are not entitled to the National Minimum Wage. Young workers aged 16 to 17 are entitled to at least £3.72 per hour.

** In England, your leaving age depends on when you were born. You can leave school on the last Friday in June as long as you’ll be 16 by the end of that year’s summer holidays.

But you must stay in some form of education or training until:

27 June 2014 if you were born between 1 September 1996 and 31 August 1997
    your 18th birthday if you were born on or after 1 September 1997

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have your NI number and the workplace doesnt specify you have to be 16, then you could start straight away. I started at 16 but only because my workplace required it.
    Nonetheless, I'd start applying straight away because by the time you've been through interviews you'll either be 16 or just about to turn 16.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.