Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get an A/A* in German A2? SHOULD I DROP IT??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have just finished my AS levels and most of the university courses I want to do require AAA grades. Last year, having got an A in my German GCSE, I decided to continue the subject to A-level. Any A-level foreign language students here will know that IT IS TEN TIMES HARDER THAN GCSE. OK that's a bit of an exaggeration but I have gone from an A/A* German student to getting a D grade overall in my German mock, the highest result in class being a C yeah, that whole thing about you not needing any grammar skills to get an A in GCSE languages, kind of didn't help in the long run...
    The problem I'm now having is in English Literature and History, my favourite subjects, I'm still getting A grades and I think it would be a shame not to get onto a really good English/History degree course just because of my German grade bringing me down
    What I'm wondering is, was anyone else in a similar position but managed to still get an A in A2 German? I spoke to my German teacher and she told me it's very hard, but if I work hard I could get a B... *sigh* the other option is continuing with Philosophy, another hard subject although one I do have a higher chance of getting an A in as it's essay-based rather than 'learn all this really hard grammar and vocabulary'!
    I really like German and languages are a really good thing to have, I told myself that maybe if I spent the entire summer practising German and maybe nagged my parents into getting a tutor (v. expensive though ) I'd be able to get the grade I need, another issue is I have a job on my college's student union, I am doing my grade 7 saxophone, volunteering at my local library and an EPQ alongside my three A2s next year so I don't think I'll be able to fit in 12 hours of German practice a week! (seriously it feels like I need that much because this year has made me feel so bad at German)- so should I give up with it (if so does anyone know any good methods to continue learning the language outside of education- I don't want my proficiency to slip) or should I stick it out, potentially giving myself a lot of stress and not being able to get into the uni I want to go to, but doing the subject I prefer and having the valuable skill of a language?
    I really don't know what to do!
    Danke, ich begrüße etwas Anraten (that's probably wrong- see what I mean? But yeah, help would be much appreciated )

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've only just applied for A-levels, but I'm fluent in the language and have a level 3 qualification in German language and literature from my former grammar school, so if you have any questions just ask. I'd love to help!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and to answer your question, no, you shouldn't drop it! Just pm me with any questions and we'll sort it out!

ReputationRep:
    see what you get at AS and if it's unlikely you'll be predicted an A then drop it. It's not worth bringing your other grades down and potentially not going to the best university you could go to

ReputationRep:
    Btw, we seem to have something in common! English literature is one of my absolute favourite subjects.So far I've only ever taught myself, but I'm looking forward to studying it at A-level!

ReputationRep:
    Btw, no need to get a tutor. I tutor for free, so if you have skype, pm me your skype id.

ReputationRep:
    If you have set your heart on the universities with AAA grade boundaries then I wouldn't take the risk if the highest you realistically may get is a B.

If your teacher predicts you a B, it doesn't matter how much time you spend with a tutor- the universities may not even give you an offer to start with, as all they will see is a predicted B.

Also, by putting so much work into that one subject you may feel drained and not do as well overall in your other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    Btw, no need to get a tutor. I tutor for free, so if you have skype, pm me your skype id.
    Hallo I'm not the OP but that's really kind of you to offer this! You should totally join in on our 'multilingual' conversation thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post48470509

We always appreciate helpful native speakers! Look forward to seeing you there sometime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    Hallo I'm not the OP but that's really kind of you to offer this! You should totally join in on our 'multilingual' conversation thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post48470509

We always appreciate helpful native speakers! Look forward to seeing you there sometime!

I've already joined the thread, just haven't posted there in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice- I think I'll probably have to drop German then but I really want to continue learning the language- does anyone have advice on good ways to keep a language up despite not studying it at school? Especially for lazy people who have a lot of other commitments? Thank-you 'dorababy1995' for offering to help I am still not fully decided- I think I will do as much German practice as I can this summer- do a practice paper, and then speak to my German teacher to see if she can bump my predicted grade up. If not, then I guess I'll have to drop it Ugh every option requires so much hard work and I am sort of lazy but also I've just worked really hard on all my exams and I don't want to have to do tons more work over the summer! Does anyone do AQA Philosophy A2 and if so do they have any tips? I find philosophy a bit hit and miss, to be honest- half the time I find it quite hard to understand, although my teacher is quite confident I'll get an A, my heart just isn't in it as much as with German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frizzydinks)
    Thanks for all the advice- I think I'll probably have to drop German then but I really want to continue learning the language- does anyone have advice on good ways to keep a language up despite not studying it at school? Especially for lazy people who have a lot of other commitments? Thank-you 'dorababy1995' for offering to help I am still not fully decided- I think I will do as much German practice as I can this summer- do a practice paper, and then speak to my German teacher to see if she can bump my predicted grade up. If not, then I guess I'll have to drop it Ugh every option requires so much hard work and I am sort of lazy but also I've just worked really hard on all my exams and I don't want to have to do tons more work over the summer! Does anyone do AQA Philosophy A2 and if so do they have any tips? I find philosophy a bit hit and miss, to be honest- half the time I find it quite hard to understand, although my teacher is quite confident I'll get an A, my heart just isn't in it as much as with German
    can't help with the Philosophy, sorry :P

However, in terms of keeping up a language, I'd suggest reading the news online in the language, watching tv shows or films in the language etc. I do this for German and Japanese (my 2 a level languages) but also Italian which I did to gcse but don't want to forget :P

ReputationRep:
    I found A2 easier than AS [AQA French] because writing essays and doing a speaking exam on two specified cultural topics came more easily to me...

But that's not a uniform opinion and it is hard to drag grades up significantly.

You might have difficulty in getting teachers to predict you an A, and you may also find you don't get offers as easily if you're predicted an A from a C/D without clear evidence of how you're going to get the grade!

Another option is to retake the AS as a year later your skills will have improved considerably, but it depends a lot on how much content you'll have to learn extra now that there are no January retakes.

Philosophy is a lot easier to memorize, I found- of course it requires comprehension, but nothing like the understanding a language demands?

There are other options. If you can keep your German up through reading online and listening and talking to people you meet here, you may be able to do night classes at Uni, or even a module depending on how your Uni works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frizzydinks)
    I've recently done my German GCSE and have started to practice because I love learning languages. At the moment to improve vocabulary try out the ‘6000 words‘ German vocabulary app. I started using it the other day and it's great. It's on Android (Google Play).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll get my AS results before I make my final decisions, but I will definitely look into getting that app if I get an Android device.
    I know it should be secondary to grades and future decisions, but I really like my German class and teacher, and there is a trip planned to Vienna next year which I really want to go on. Is it worth possibly not getting on to the Uni course I want due to grades just because I prefer the subject? Probs not, ugh it's hard! But again, thanks for the advice, I'll take it into account when making my decision

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.