Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Lyricist of the 20th Century Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought this would be a good idea, let's try and work as a group of like minded music loving folk to try and establish between us who the best lyricist of the 20th century was, once we've whittled the thousands of artists down to about 15 through discussion we could hold a poll to see who TSR think are the best as a whole.

From my own perspective I'd nominate Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison. I really can't separate these guys, different guys with different outlooks, but similar in some ways, who manage to make music their own tool in spreading there message. I would rate these guys as geniuses as music's equivalent of Tarantino or Stanley Kubrick in that they manage to change the face of music and to some extent society - particularly in America - as a result of their work. As my starting evidence I'm going to present two songs by each of these lyricists...

Jim Morrison
    Riders on the Storm
    The Changeling

Bob Dylan
    Like a Rolling Stone
    Gotta Serve Somebody

Who would you pick, would it be one of these guys or someone totally different?

(If anybody suggest Limp Bizkit they will murdered by proxy)

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan - no contest. Visions of Johanna, Every Grain of Sand and Not Dark Yet are as close to perfection as it's possible for music to be.

Roger Waters is a good shout too.

ReputationRep:
    Bruce Springsteen or Tom Waits.

ReputationRep:
    so many...

Nicky Wire, Noel Gallagher, Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Townshend, etc

would be too hard to pick just one for me

ReputationRep:
    Dylan

Even if his voice isn't so great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Dylan

Even if his voice isn't so great
    What? How can anybody listen to a Dylan song and come to that conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 48:13)
    His music is great but he's not the best singer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    His music is great but he's not the best singer.
    That's your opinion and I actually agree with you - I'd see the best singer as Jim Morrison - what you actually said was "even if his voice isn't so great" which is an entirely different statement in itself that I would not agree with.

ReputationRep:
    Nas. Illmatic was legendary and lyrics were 100% on pointPosted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lil Wayne fo shooo

ReputationRep:
    That's your opinion and I actually agree with you - I'd see the best singer as Jim Morrison - what you actually said was "even if his voice isn't so great" which is an entirely different statement in itself that I would not agree with.
    That wasn't me who said that, that was another user. I was just giving a possible justification for what they said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    That wasn't me who said that, that was another user. I was just giving a possible justification for what they said.
    Sorry I didn't look at usernames, as an aside who would you class as the greatest singer?

ReputationRep:
    Random one off of youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ

Are you seriously going to try and tell me that is great singing? Distinctive, I'll give you that; passionate, emotive, for sure. Like it or not, though, it isn't great.

Dylan's song-writing abilities are ridiculously good, but his vocals aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Nas. Illmatic was legendary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol this.

No time for old fogies and their nothing music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't look at usernames, as an aside who would you class as the greatest singer?
    I couldn't say, although I love Otis Redding's voice.

ReputationRep:
    Random one off of youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ

Are you seriously going to try and tell me that is great singing? Distinctive, I'll give you that; passionate, emotive, for sure. Like it or not, though, it isn't great.

Dylan's song-writing abilities are ridiculously good, but his vocals aren't.
    Yes, in my opinion it is good singing. Okay it's not your up and down the scales stuff, but it's good old fashioned talky singing that fits with the music and the lyrics. Also, that's not one of his finest performances I'll give you that. It's the kind of singing that will have undoubtedly have influenced many bands down the years.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in my opinion it is good singing. Okay it's not your up and down the scales stuff, but it's good old fashioned talky singing that fits with the music and the lyrics. Also, that's not one of his finest performances I'll give you that. It's the kind of singing that will have undoubtedly have influenced many bands down the years.
    That's fine, but you are most certainly in the minority with that opinion, so your indignant reply to my comment was strange.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, but you are most certainly in the minority with that opinion, so your indignant reply to my comment was strange.
    Have you got any proof I'm actually in the minority in believing that Bob Dylan is a good singer? My experience of conversations with people in real life is rather different.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any proof I'm actually in the minority in believing that Bob Dylan is a good singer? My experience of conversations with people in real life is rather different.
    I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't great. You can look for statistical evidence for this if you want to, I'm not really too bothered. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't great. You can look for statistical evidence for this if you want to, I'm not really too bothered. :lol:
    You're the one making the claim that he isn't a great singer, therefore the onus is on you to provide the statistical evidence that he isn't. However I'd say fact he's number 7 on Rolling Stone Magazines list of 100 greatest singers, compiled by 179 music experts is a pretty good starting point to back up the claim he's one of the greatest singers of all time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.