Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know if you have a collapsed vein? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had a blood test yesterday and the nurse taking the blood injected the needle and then pulled it out after about 7 seconds. Usually when having blood taken the needle is left in a lot longer but she did it very quickly. Also my arm doesn't usually bleed much. However yesterday blood was coming out in blobs for minutes she had to go through 3 cotton buds before it stopped and I had to put pressure on it for 5 minutes, in the past it's not been this bad. Is this because she did the suction too fast? Also are them signs of a blown or collapsed vein? How do you know if a vein has collapsed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    I had a blood test yesterday and the nurse taking the blood injected the needle and then pulled it out after about 7 seconds. Usually when having blood taken the needle is left in a lot longer but she did it very quickly. Also my arm doesn't usually bleed much. However yesterday blood was coming out in blobs for minutes she had to go through 3 cotton buds before it stopped and I had to put pressure on it for 5 minutes, in the past it's not been this bad. Is this because she did the suction too fast? Also are them signs of a blown or collapsed vein? How do you know if a vein has collapsed?
    Sounds like she has a bad technique. Veins collapse all the time. Normally in the elderly though. There's nothing to worry if it has though. As long as the bleeding stopped now you'll be fine. If it was an artery she'd used - it would have been known at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballroom beans)
    Sounds like she has a bad technique. Veins collapse all the time. Normally in the elderly though. There's nothing to worry if it has though. As long as the bleeding stopped now you'll be fine. If it was an artery she'd used - it would have been known at the time.
    Ok cheers but is it likely that the vein collapsed, what are the signs etc? What happend to the vein just curious

ReputationRep:
    Ok cheers but is it likely that the vein collapsed, what are the signs etc? What happend to the vein just curious
    When it collapses the lining of the vein temporarily blocks the flow of blood through swelling/fluid or such what. So that the injury site (the needles entrance) can repair itself.

ReputationRep:
    It only takes a couple of seconds to fill a vacutainer. It just sounds like the person taking this blood was quicker than most and you bled a bit after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    It only takes a couple of seconds to fill a vacutainer.
    Is that will proper technique though? Or are you supposed to draw it slowly

ReputationRep:
    Is that will proper technique though? Or are you supposed to draw it slowly
    Vacutainers that are used routinely to take blood are little plastic tubes that have a vacuum inside. The fill up pretty quickly once you use them, usually in a couple of seconds when I use them. Your vein won't have collapsed, even if it had it would be back to normal again, veins are quite rubbery and aren't rigid structures that stay collapsed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Vacutainers that are used routinely to take blood are little plastic tubes that have a vacuum inside. The fill up pretty quickly once you use them, usually in a couple of seconds when I use them. Your vein won't have collapsed, even if it had it would be back to normal again, veins are quite rubbery and aren't rigid structures that stay collapsed.
    Ok thanks. I have been feeling like a mild pins and needles sensation in my arm but trying not to think about it. I'm not usually this soft ha I've had blood taken loads of times before
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well when I was in hospital if a vein collapsed because of a venflon the area would go red and burn.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.