Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French Alevel - but it's been years since I studied French? Im Stuck! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Alevel French distant learning but it's been 14 years since I studied French at school even though I did get A*. I can't afford a tutor to brush up on the language or do a local evening course (not that there are any local too me anyway!). I've just got a GCSE French revision book from the library but even this is a bit of a boggle. It's not so much understanding it, it's more the layout and lack of guidance and trying to tutor myself well it leaves me a bit lost. Plus I don't think i'll be able to tell when i'll be at a suitable level to take on the Alevel. I've heard it's a hard one, a big step up from gcse. What exactly is meant by that? So any suggestions or advice, insights or anything. In already torn between pursuing a degree in French or archaeology as it is. I'm considering taking Alevel biology alongside French as well. Will I need to take a third option?

Tarp!!

ReputationRep:
    1) What's the step up?

- It's a huge step up. You have to construct your own ideas and string them into sentences. You'll have to write essays (I say essay, it's sub 250 words), have an oral exam which includes some stimuli and spontaneous responses etc. So you have to think for yourself a lot. No space for pre learnt speeches.

2) Will I need a third option?

- Depends on what you already have at the moment. If you already have some a levels, then you might not have to!

_______

I'd say start with basic grammar. Use about.com for that, it's great. Also use TSR, I'd be happy to try and help.

Then you'll want to see which board you'd be with and look at their syllabus.

If you can't afford things, being a private candidate might be too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished A2 French, I must admit it was a 'leap' meaning that the topics get a lot more detailed, from just talking about holidays and family you start to talk about poverty, youth culture etc also the AS AQA exam is comprised of some listening and reading questions which are okay provided you learn the vocabulary then an essay question. Also you do a speaking exam which is rather difficult, you are totally unprepared unlike GCSE, the questions are just relating to the topics. The first part you have a stimulus card with a picture- the first question will always be de-quoi s'agit-il? what's it about?
    Go on the AQA website and check out their past papers, listen to the people speaking on the listening test and you'll see there's a lot more information to understand and they talk a lot faster than at GCSE.
    Don't let me put you off though! If you're passionate about learning the language you'll pick it up - watch some French tv on youtube - I watch this show called SODA :france:

ReputationRep:
    You learn a lot more in Year 12 tbh like I started the year knowing not much French and yet I found it easy to pick up new things.
    Just learn how to conjugate verbs in the present tense, and have an idea at least of how to conjugate verbs in the past tense (le passé composé not l'imparfait). Know your basic vocab and be prepared to improvise a lot in the oral exam.
    That's pretty much all we learnt in GCSE French. AS French feels like you're starting from scratch because you learn so much more. If you go to a college, they usually recap some GCSE stuff at the start of the year in most subjects since everyone has come from different schools.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.